Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:17 PM

461 posts, read 548,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Well for sure Mexican is going to be hard to find, there are basically no mexicans in Europe ! Conversely I would not expect to find kebab places in Texas, but I would definitely look for Mexican places. As for Asian, not sure, but then again asian migration exists here too, but this might concern other asian peoples and european tastes might be different as well.
No kebabs in Texas? Think again. Dallas, Houston, Austin are full of immigrants from all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,730,286 times
Breakfast in France is boring because breakfast really isn't a meal. It's more like a snack to prepare you for the day.

Besides the UK, most European breakfasts are the same way.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,627,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
I honestly never asked myself the question . But I can understand that it can annoy someone who is used to eating more salty or with a real meal.

Personally I have always taken 0.5 liters of hot milk chocolate with cereals and slices of bread with butter. It's enough to keep me up to lunch.

Might also be that we are too lazy to cook. I do not see myself cooking a steak and beans at 6 in the morning.
My kind of breakfast and my kind of people.

( And NO I don't want any "VARIETY" in the morning - I want to take what's handy and sweet with coffee, and decide what I want for "variety" by lunch time)))

Old 09-25-2017, 09:34 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,481,258 times
I fell in love with French breakfast many years ago on visits to Guadaloupe. Fresh croissant, fresh butter and Passion Fruit nectar... the balcony overlooking the tropical forest, the tropical birds breakfasting with me. Sigh. I could eat that breakfast for the rest of my life and be in heaven. When in Paris I followed my nose straight to the boulangerie. Nowadays, I settle for Starbucks and a butter croissant...

Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,481,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Breakfast in France is boring because breakfast really isn't a meal. It's more like a snack to prepare you for the day.

That's right. In Spain, it is "una raqueta y un cortado". I am soooo homesick.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,509,929 times
Having the same breakfast every day would definitely become boring real quickly. I like to have as many options as possible. Sometimes, I'll stick to cereals with milk and some fruit, other times I want something more complete like eggs and bacon. In some situations, I'll even have a heavy meal like Indian curry, although that usually tends to be around noon, so it would be lunch, but that only happens when I skip out on breakfast.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:

Well, this isn't at all what is offered in the student cafeterias, in my experience. Sure, there's bread, but there are little packets of cheese, yogurt, milk IIRC, butter of course, and jam. Probably tea and coffee, but I don't remember. Possibly a boiled egg per person.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,745,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Anything can get boring after a while. Breakfast in Italy and Spain is really just another version, except in Italy you may get some meat, but it consist of some sort of coffee and pastry.

My take is that going out for breakfast wasn't part of the culture like here. Restaurants, from what I remember in France, were open for lunch and dinner, some just dinner. Breakfast was left to the cafe's where the facilities didn't offer the ability to make much. They just picked up croissants etc from the local bakery.

I remember in London,England, back in 1987, the only places offering breakfast were some hotels, and McDonald's. It's different now. The full english breakfast also gets boring after awhile.

As much as I love Europe, most countries are entrenched in their cuisine. Yes they offer " ethnic " cuisine, but rarely is it as good or authentic as you find in countries with a shorter culinary history and a different immigration pattern.
yes, anything can get boring after a while, including a "full English breakfast", if that means the same bacon, eggs and sausage every day.

And that's exactly my point. in China and possibly much of Asia, breakfast has a lot of varieties. You can have something very different from each other for 15 days without problem. You are not stuck with the same cafe/croissant, or eggs/sausage every day, no matter how good they are.

Yes, I agree it is a cultural difference. The French just don't think breakfast is a big deal. But my point stands: it is boring and has too few varieties, and more varieties are always a good thing, because I don't think all 67M people are all 100% happy with the same option every day.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:43 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,745,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I fell in love with French breakfast many years ago on visits to Guadaloupe. Fresh croissant, fresh butter and Passion Fruit nectar... the balcony overlooking the tropical forest, the tropical birds breakfasting with me. Sigh. I could eat that breakfast for the rest of my life and be in heaven. When in Paris I followed my nose straight to the boulangerie. Nowadays, I settle for Starbucks and a butter croissant...
that's pointless. You were on vacation with a great view from a hotel. Of course all memories are sweet. What if eat the same thing in a dark small apartment buildings for 10 years? I am sure you won't miss it that much.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 AM

27,277 posts, read 13,548,733 times
Quote:

Most British people do not have a full fried breakfast every morning, although Breakfast has traditionally been seen as an important meal in Britain and indeed Ireland. The term Brunch is a combinatiom of breakfast and lunch or a late breakfast, and originated in 19th Century England.

Brunch - Wikipedia

Toast or Croissants with Marmalade or Jam and Cereal are all popular in terms of a quick morning breakfast and there's not much to dislike about a nice croissant and strawberry jam (or jelly as it is known in the US).

However there are numerous weird and wonderful Breakfasts out there, other traditional Breakfasts include the obvious boiled egg with soldiers, scrambled or poached egg and eggs benedict are popular at restaurants, there's also pancakes, oatckakes (Scotland, Staffordshire, Lancashire etc) muffins and smoked salmon and of course more traditional often overlooked British Breakfasts such as Kippers, Porridge and indeed kedgeree, a strange curried smokd fish, rice and boiled eggs type Breakfast the British brought back with them from India.

Kedgeree - Wikipedia

Potted histories: kedgeree - Telegraph

The Grand Cafe Oxford - Welcome

The surprising history of London's fascinating (but forgotten) coffeehouses

Also from Empire came the British love of tea at Breakfast, whilst coffee shops have operated in London since the days of theGrand Cafe Oxford which opened in 1650 (and is still open on the same spot today) and the Pasqua Roseé's Head in London which opened 1652, whilst the Jamaica Inn and Lloyds Coffee House were other famous 16th Century Coffee Houses.

The 50 best breakfast places in the UK | Life and style | The Guardian

London's Best Breakfasts: The Coolest Places To Start The Day

Britain's 30 best places for brunch (and what to order at each one) - Food & drink

Best brunch in London 2017: The Vogue Guide | British Vogue

35 best brunch spots in London: healthy to bottomless | British GQ

The Wolseley - Breakfast

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-26-2017 at 04:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe