Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times

Advertisements

I'm really trying to understand the point of this. If someone has a child who does well (all A's and B's) throughout the school year, but fails the standardized test at the end of the year, the child has to go to summer school, retake the test, and if he fails again, has to repeat the grade. Then how the heck is this child doing so well in class? I realize this scenario is less common, but I don't understand how one test can potentially be the end all be all of being promoted to the next grade. How is a parent supposed to stress to a child that getting good grades is necessary to succeed, when everything around us is telling us differently?

I spend extra time with my child, helping him in math and reading (he's in advanced classes for both at school), I'm teaching him how to play the piano, and I take him to the library, bookstore, and events in the city, so he can learn about the arts and other cultures. I want him to be well rounded. But if one test is all that matters to pass or fail, I feel like this is what I should be focusing on with him.

Why am I especially concerned? Because in practice tests, he either scores extremely high or extremely low. All based on his mood. My child's high scores from last year put him into the advanced classes, yet if he gets tired or bored from sitting at the computer screen to take the test, he says he just rushes through it to get it done.

This whole high stakes testing seems silly. Yes, there are clearly milestones that children should have to clear to make it to the next level. But shouldn't the standardized test be an ADDITIONAL determinant to passing/succeeding, not an end all be all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
Which test are you talking about? I know for the AIMS the child takes it from a young grade all the way to Sophmore year in high school. If they fail any of those it doesn't mean anything UNTIL their sophmore year. If they fail it then, they have to take it as a junior and if they fail that, they take it again as a senior. If they do not pass the AIMS by senior year then yes, they cannot graduate. However, if they have good grades they should surely pass the AIMS, it isn't too difficult. Plus, if they are struggling then I believe there are classes and study courses to help them specifically for the AIMS test.

I am not sure about other standardized tests.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I agree completely, and I think most teachers and those knowlegable about assessment do too. We see all kinds of programs getting cut to make more time for teaching to a test, and for what?
IF the test was definitely a valid and reliable measure, then it's be such a problem. However, I don't know of any test that is an accurate measure for 100% of students 100% of the time because there are too many variables that influence how well a student does on a test an any given day.
I generally have no problem with testing students as a way of assessing whether or not they are learning, but the high-stakes, punitive way that tests are used is defeating the purpose and making a mockery of education.

Edited to add: Not all states do this. There are a few that refuse to do it (and, consequently, decline the federal funding)

Old 10-11-2009, 02:27 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,862 times
I am a teacher and I agree with you. The testing situation is out of control. My situation with my students was different from yours but also very frustating: I had students who did little to no work and failed (despite conferences with parents and other interventions) but still passed the state exams (because the bar is set lower and lower).

Old 10-11-2009, 03:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
lol! I was going to go back and edit my post, but it won't let me.

When talking about the AIMS test I TOTALLY thought I was in the Arizona board! Now I just feel silly, oops!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm really trying to understand the point of this. If someone has a child who does well (all A's and B's) throughout the school year, but fails the standardized test at the end of the year, the child has to go to summer school, retake the test, and if he fails again, has to repeat the grade. Then how the heck is this child doing so well in class? I realize this scenario is less common, but I don't understand how one test can potentially be the end all be all of being promoted to the next grade. How is a parent supposed to stress to a child that getting good grades is necessary to succeed, when everything around us is telling us differently?

I spend extra time with my child, helping him in math and reading (he's in advanced classes for both at school), I'm teaching him how to play the piano, and I take him to the library, bookstore, and events in the city, so he can learn about the arts and other cultures. I want him to be well rounded. But if one test is all that matters to pass or fail, I feel like this is what I should be focusing on with him.

Why am I especially concerned? Because in practice tests, he either scores extremely high or extremely low. All based on his mood. My child's high scores from last year put him into the advanced classes, yet if he gets tired or bored from sitting at the computer screen to take the test, he says he just rushes through it to get it done.

This whole high stakes testing seems silly. Yes, there are clearly milestones that children should have to clear to make it to the next level. But shouldn't the standardized test be an ADDITIONAL determinant to passing/succeeding, not an end all be all?
It may seem silly to you but that is the yardstick used to grade the school. 50% of the grade for my students is a standardized test. Yes, they can have A's in the other 50% and still not pass, though unlikely. My school doesn't fail them on the test alone but it can pull a grade down in a hurry.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
North Carolina has the EOG (End of Grade) and EOC (End of Course). Fail and passing the grade or course is not likely..

Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,663 times
[COLOR="rgb(221, 160, 221)"]I think that End Of Grade testing should only count for seniors(12th graders). Because, by the time your in High school/12th grade you'll already have everything you need to know about what's going to be on the EOG. But, on the other hand if you have to pass the EOG to succeed to the next grade then you should learn from your mistakes and keep trying and trying and trying until you succeed!

-Zoe J.[/color]

Old 09-15-2014, 12:14 PM

425 posts, read 431,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eresh View Post
i agree completely, and i think most teachers and those knowlegable about assessment do too.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education