Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,528,665 times

Advertisements

The Answer Sheet - The lowdown on standardized tests and how they are scored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
What's up with people just posting links as new threads? At least have something to say about it. I'm just going to start making a bunch of new threads with links in them.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:01 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
I always figured that the standardized tests were just remarkable ways to make money- bank on all the kids being told they need to go to college, so come up with a few tests they HAVE to take to get in.. then start making the test booklets, gathering test material, and make "special" bubble-in answer sheets.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 AM

467 posts, read 712,837 times
I still see this more having to do with jobs or the economy, not Education.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:12 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
I once worked as a temp grading standardized tests. It was monotonous boring work and there was a lot of room for error. I cannot see how the test results could have been accurate across the board as there was too much room for error and subjectivity.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 AM

249 posts, read 753,625 times
I don't know what the solution is to this. Standardized tests that are all multiple choice are not a good indication of student understanding of content. So they put short answer and extended response type questions on the test and somebody has to grade them. You can't have a machine grading student writing.

This is exactly why I don't believe that standardized tests should be used to measure a teacher's success. Two different people reading the exact same student essay can score it completely different. I don't want my evaluation based on what someone thinks of a writing piece.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
I don't know what the solution is to this. Standardized tests that are all multiple choice are not a good indication of student understanding of content. So they put short answer and extended response type questions on the test and somebody has to grade them. You can't have a machine grading student writing.

This is exactly why I don't believe that standardized tests should be used to measure a teacher's success. Two different people reading the exact same student essay can score it completely different. I don't want my evaluation based on what someone thinks of a writing piece.
Quote:
It was monotonous boring work and there was a lot of room for error. I cannot see how the test results could have been accurate across the board as there was too much room for error and subjectivity.
There are rubrics which determine how to score the essay. More than one person scores each essay based on the rubric of the specific test. It is not subjective by any means. If you follow the rubric exactly, there should not be major discrepancies in scores.

However, there is a trick to each essay, in terms of how to get a high score. Some of it is absolutely ridiculous. If teachers "taught to the essay," scores would go up, but even essays scored "high" are not necessarily "good."

Old 12-26-2010, 12:03 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I once worked as a temp grading standardized tests. It was monotonous boring work and there was a lot of room for error. I cannot see how the test results could have been accurate across the board as there was too much room for error and subjectivity.
That's why I tend to believe anecdotal evidence more than statistical evidence.

When a child can get on the honor roll despite not being capable of dividing two simple numbers accurately on a fairly consistent basis, or to competently discern between *lose* and *loose* or *they're, their and there* - Houston, we have a problem IMO.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:12 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
There are rubrics which determine how to score the essay. More than one person scores each essay based on the rubric of the specific test. It is not subjective by any means. If you follow the rubric exactly, there should not be major discrepancies in scores.

However, there is a trick to each essay, in terms of how to get a high score. Some of it is absolutely ridiculous. If teachers "taught to the essay," scores would go up, but even essays scored "high" are not necessarily "good."
No, the tests were graded by individuals, there was not more then one person grading each tests.

Imagine yourself sitting in a huge warehouse filled with temps where you grade the same exact essay test over and over and over again from 8AM to 5PM 5 days a week. The testing is meant to be graded objectively but it's just not possible. A grader who sees the tests at 8am on Monday morning is going to view things differently then if they saw the exact same test on Friday afternoon at 4PM. The monotony of the grading can really take away from the graders ability to grade each test in the exact same way every single time. Essay tests cannot be graded 100% objectively anyway, there is always room for subjectivity.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
That's why I tend to believe anecdotal evidence more than statistical evidence.

When a child can get on the honor roll despite not being capable of dividing two simple numbers accurately on a fairly consistent basis, or to competently discern between *lose* and *loose* or *they're, their and there* - Houston, we have a problem IMO.
Life is not like K-12. Sadly many find out too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education