Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,983 times

Advertisements

Just thinking about this. I went to top performing public schools in a major city in the seventies and eighties. I don't, from a child's perspective atleast, recall any talk or prep for the Iowa Tests at all!! We just took the test. It was announced maybe once in the beginning of the school year. The majority did very well.

When did the standardized tests actually become, "a thing"? Late eighties would you say? And my goodness, what did we all ever do before the days of test scores in newspapers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,089,901 times
I think it started when I was in late elementary school. I ended sixth grade in 1998. I remember when I was in the earlier years it wasn't a big deal. Then they switched tests to what they currently have, and it became a much bigger deal. I believe that was around fifth grade. The earlier test we had was excellent. First and Second had the same test. Third and Fourth had the same test. Taking the same test two years in a row was muy excelente.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,194,782 times
One thing that has NOT helped is the "No Child Left Behind" programs. The idea is excellent, but what is happening is not.

The schools have to have a certain percent of the students in ALL GROUPS passing at a certain level or the school loses it's Federal funding. Hence, the push to have the students pass. There are some that wouldn't have a snowball's chance in h*ll of passing without a lot of extra testing work. Not academic work, but testing work. How to pass a standardized test is more important than some of the other stuff like spelling or arithmetic.

All Groups include the retarded children in special ED classes. The schools that have them, have an additional problem. If they don't measure up, the entire school is placed on the "Needs To Improve" list.

Makes you wonder doesn't it!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 AM

305 posts, read 539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One thing that has NOT helped is the "No Child Left Behind" programs. The idea is excellent, but what is happening is not.

The schools have to have a certain percent of the students in ALL GROUPS passing at a certain level or the school loses it's Federal funding. Hence, the push to have the students pass. There are some that wouldn't have a snowball's chance in h*ll of passing without a lot of extra testing work. Not academic work, but testing work. How to pass a standardized test is more important than some of the other stuff like spelling or arithmetic.

All Groups include the retarded children in special ED classes. The schools that have them, have an additional problem. If they don't measure up, the entire school is placed on the "Needs To Improve" list.

Makes you wonder doesn't it!!!

NCLB IS the reason why standardized tests became the be all and end all. Thank you George Bush. I'm sure the fact that McGraw Hill, who makes a lot of money on standardized testing, was a big contributor to the Bush campaign had nothing to do with it.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,172,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoughton View Post
NCLB IS the reason why standardized tests became the be all and end all. Thank you George Bush. I'm sure the fact that McGraw Hill, who makes a lot of money on standardized testing, was a big contributor to the Bush campaign had nothing to do with it.

Yes, and I love how many programs have not one volume, but two workbook volumes the second of which has only a few pages done due to the fact that the school year simply isn't long enough to get to all of the material.

Laws in most states dictate that publishers cannot change out the textbooks more frequently then every 5 or so years (to contain mega-costs of ordering books every year). With "consumable" workbooks, they can be purchased every year. Of course, in these leaner times, schools are now relying on photocopiers (I'm counting the days until that becomes illegal).

Old 05-20-2009, 08:47 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,089,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoughton View Post
Not true. It got extremely important before Bush became president. He may have exacerbated the problem, but it didn't start under him.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 PM

135 posts, read 640,683 times
I think standardized testing probably has been around a lot longer than people think, i can remember the importance of the SAT being preached to me in jr high, that'd be 2000 or so, but i can remember taking standardized tests throughout elementary school. They've become an easy guideline to measure students against. The stressing of a good SAT or ACT score probably started up when more people started to attend colleges. GPA is important, but since each school varies, a standardized test is a good way to compare students from different areas. While it's important to do well on the tests, the admission boards do still take a lot into consideration such as GPA, jobs, clubs etc.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
Standardized testing has been around for many years, and people did (and do) pay attention to the numbers, but it didn't become the major issue that it is today - the "end all be all," as referenced by the OP - until NCLB dramatically escalated the pressure.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 PM

305 posts, read 539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not true. It got extremely important before Bush became president. He may have exacerbated the problem, but it didn't start under him.

It got much worse in the district where I teach after NCLB. Maybe you had the problem before Bush where you live, but not me. Of course, I'm only a teacher with 32 years' experience, what do I know???

Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,504,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The bigger problem is when you have Duhbya and Tedward (Yes, THAT Tedward) both signing off on NCLB...when both parties agree on anything, tis' usually bad for the rest of us.

It was so bad, even Bubba Clinton piled on him....wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education