Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:00 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
Not a single poster has returned to give an update. Huh.

My 4 1/2 month old Rotti gets stomach 'hiccups' regularly since I got him at 8 weeks old. Probably because he wolfs his food down. He acts completely normally & continues whatever he's doing when it starts. Vet said it's nothing to worry about.

If, however, a dogs confused, uncomfortable, acting differently &/or they've got head tremors, they definitely need to see a vet as soon as possible. Those type symptoms sound more like a fit than an upset stomach.
You should be VERY worried. A Rottie is a breed with a large chest. If you let him wolf down his food, his chances of dying of torsion/bloat is extremely high.

I just noticed this thread is 6+ years old. And multiple posters with 1 post.

Oh,well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 PM

919 posts, read 608,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You should be VERY worried. A Rottie is a breed with a large chest. If you let him wolf down his food, his chances of dying of torsion/bloat is extremely high.

I just noticed this thread is 6+ years old. And multiple posters with 1 post.

Oh,well...
Thanks BellaMia - it's the air that he gulps down that I thinks the cause. I forget the exact term that the vet used, 'nervous gut' or something like that. It's just like a hiccup & only last for a few minutes or so.
It's becoming less frequent as he gets older.
My boy is on a mainly raw diet, with a small amount of grain-free kibble for training. At 8 weeks he ate chicken necks, then turkey necks & now he eats an entire chicken carcass for breakfast & another for dinner.
He has no choice but to chew his food.

A tip that I recently learned from a young Great Dane owner, was that she feeds her GD chicken carcasses frozen, the aim being to ensure that he chews his food. At 6mo he looked magnificent & she said he had no problems eating. Not sure if he'll be so keen eating his food frozen when it's winter.

I'm not a vet, but from my experience it's dogs that are fed commercial canned & dry kibble that usually have torsion/bloat issues (& owners wonder why their dogs poos are soft & smell really bad)
A dogs gut is designed to digest raw food including plenty of soft bone.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 12,846 times
I would love to know if anyone found out what was going on with their dogs. Mine has recently gone through something similar to what is being described here and has been completely normal since, and no repeat episodes. Bloodwork all fine. Vets are stumped.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 PM

4 posts, read 40,010 times
My year and a half old dog is also having this same problem. started last night and has happened 3 times. vet and ER dont know what it is so were going to a neurologist tomorrow. if we figure it out ill post again and let you all know.

this is what it looks like,

https://youtu.be/kSBSrcRdib0

Old 08-28-2017, 04:43 PM

update,

neurologist wasnt sure so we are doing x ray and mri saturday to try and find a cause. will update when i know more.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 12,337 times
My dog is 8 years old and is very happy and active, I noticed a loss of energy yesterday when taking her on her walk. She ate half of her food and drank most of her water when I was at work witch is normal for her.. She stayed in one spot all night not moving an inch witch is not normal for her, when I woke up her paws were cold and her breathing very short than I noticed as she breaths she seams to have a spasm or twitch around her chest and ribs just behind her arms. she seems to be very uncomfortable, this has me really worried.. It is Sunday morning and I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? She has been hydrated and not overexerted.
Thank you,
Jordan

Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 PM

ok so we showed the neurologist the video of him twitching, had an mri of his brain, xray of his chest and a spinal tap to look for meningitis (or however thats spelled). all of the test came back normal... so the neurologist said its probably a mild seizure disorder... kinda lame to not have a real answer though. she said its either a seizure disorder or a muscle disorder. both of them are pretty much "untestable". if its a muscle disorder she said theres really nothing you can do. if seizures the meds are worse then mild seizures so again no treatment. wish i had more info to post on here... thank god for pet insurance haha. i hope this helps whoever reads this but i know its not much. on the plus side goku hasnt had any more episodes of whatever this is since the first 3 days. i hope someone figures out whatever this is since i think weve gone through all the options available.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:58 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebees4 View Post
ok so we showed the neurologist the video of him twitching, had an mri of his brain, xray of his chest and a spinal tap to look for meningitis (or however thats spelled). all of the test came back normal... so the neurologist said its probably a mild seizure disorder... kinda lame to not have a real answer though. she said its either a seizure disorder or a muscle disorder. both of them are pretty much "untestable". if its a muscle disorder she said theres really nothing you can do. if seizures the meds are worse then mild seizures so again no treatment. wish i had more info to post on here... thank god for pet insurance haha. i hope this helps whoever reads this but i know its not much. on the plus side goku hasnt had any more episodes of whatever this is since the first 3 days. i hope someone figures out whatever this is since i think weve gone through all the options available.
Thanks for the update. Glad it's not serious.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 12,077 times
Hi. My dog is experiencing the exact same symptoms (your video was SUPER helpful, thank you). Has your dog had this problem again since August? Did you find out anything else ? I'm not optimistic about a vet being able to diagnose & help, almost all of my experiences with vets lead me to believe most of what they do is guesswork or common sense. My dog is a year and a half old as well & he looks JUST like your pup in the video. It's been going on for about an hour and a half, he's eaten, was drinking water normally up until & we'd taken a walk recently where he behaved normally so I'm not too worried. Yet. How long did it go on for with you? Hopefully not too long. Anyway, thank you for updating every time you had new information, it has been very educational and helped to ease my mind a little.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:43 PM

919 posts, read 608,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebees4 View Post
she said its either a seizure disorder or a muscle disorder. both of them are pretty much "untestable". if its a muscle disorder she said theres really nothing you can do. if seizures the meds are worse then mild seizures so again no treatment. i hope someone figures out whatever this is since i think weve gone through all the options available.
Either way, I'd definitely treat with a whole plant cannabis oil, preferably one that's high in the cannabinoid CBD which will not get your dog high.
Start with very small doses & observe. As their tolerance builds, gradually increase in small increments.
Cannabis is incredibly effective for seizure & muscle disorders & very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs