Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat View Post
I found my dog late last night she is straining to poop and is acting really weird the neighbors threw their turkies over the hill and I think she got into them I am jobless and broke right now I can't afford to take her to emergency room what should I do she doesn't have any blood in her stool or anything jet some diareha and is in some pain at times and is shaking off and on when she is breathing sometimes have no idea what to do taking her to the vet in a few hours soon as I can borrow the money please help really worried
Call your friends and family and beg/borrow the money. Your dog needs to see a vet as soon as possible. I hope your dog is alright, but the symptoms are alarming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,977 times
You can also give them a few pieces of cotton to get the obstruction out. The cotton will pass.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Charlie stole and ate cooked turkey bones from the trash-- he hasn't stolen from the trash in literally years so I wasn't even thinking I should watch him...but it's totally my fault. Is there anything I can do besides sit and wait for him to have possible issues? I was reading about possible problems from eating cooked bones and I'm very worried...has anyone had this happen?
I would not worry. Dogs have been eating cooked bones for decades. MOre likely than not chances are he will be fine.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:18 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Do you know how many he ate? Cooked bones are really bad, but raw are fine. Cooked can splinter and cause serious internal damage. I'd call the evet in your area and see what they say. If you don't have one you can call, watch his poops. If he doesn't poop, he might have an obstruction, but if he does, make sure there is no blood in it because that can mean the bone damaged something while in his body. Sorry you have to go through this. They get into everything!
Some cooked bones are worse than others. If it was a roast like in an over or something fried it's bad because the bone stays more dry with high heat. If it's something that is in a slow cooker for 12 hours the bones stay wet and get soft so they are not as dangerous. I gave my dogs some slow cooker chicken leg bones after boiling them extra for a few hours and they loved it and they were fine. Also if you can break open a bone and give them the marrow they will be in heaven.

I used to work in a restaurant and they threw out the prime rib bones so I used to give them to my grandparents to give them to their dog, this was in the 80s before i knew it was bad. He loved them, but after a while they told me not to bring anymore because he would throw up from them, so I guess he got sick, but eventually he was fine on his own and they didn't have to take him to a vet and he lived 13 years which is a long time for a Rottweiler mix.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would not worry. Dogs have been eating cooked bones for decades. MOre likely than not chances are he will be fine.
Some cooked bones can cause big problems depending on the breed of dog. They're not always fine if they eat them.

Old thread anyway.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:02 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
I don't give my dogs ANY kinds of bones. Ever.

A friend of mine used to give her dog cooked beef bones. He was a big Newfoundland. He was fine eating bones for years, but at one point he stopped eating and was very sick. The bones were impacted in his rectum and he had to have them operated out. She has never given any of her dogs bones again. An expensive lesson learned.

Years ago, our lab at almost a whole turkey, minus one small meal. My FIL left it out in a roasting pan on his deck on a table with a rock on the lid. It was October and he didn't have room for it in his fridge. ya ok... like a rock is going to stop a lab? All I found was one bone from the whole turkey!
Anyways, I called the vet and he told me to give her two tablespoons of pure vaseline. Holy hell, it worked. The bones were all lubricated. She "went" UGH! for two days and everything came out in the wash. The turkey farts coming out of that dog were enough to make you sick lol

Again years ago, after many lectures not to feed her anything, my FIL gave our lab some soup bones. She chewed off the cartilage part of the knuckle from a leg joint and it got wedged sideways in her throat.
I knew something was wrong but I didn't know what. She was just acting funny. I gave her a piece of bread and she just carried it around, so I first looked in her mouth and then down her throat. Good thing we pet owners sense it when something is wrong. I put my finger down her throat and pulled up the bloodied knuckle. If I hadn't been around and it had gone further down her throat, I believe she would have died.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

Since the post to which you replied was written 7 years ago, I presume the issue has been resolved, one way or the other.

But, even though dogs have been eating cooked bones for years, that doesnt mean it's safe. In fact, it's not safe at all. It's very dangerous and a very painful way to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs