Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 16,266 times

Advertisements

Thank you, I'll make sure to do that. I fed her four pieces of bread to gum up her stomach and will feed her some more later just to be safe. Now I know a time to expect a change It'll help soothe my worries, thanks again!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 16,266 times
She seems fine, no problems at all. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,903,673 times
glad shes doing ok

Old 11-27-2015, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,128 times
Is your dog ok now because I had seen this and my dog had did the same thing

Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,088 times
On Thanksgiving my brother had given my lab/terrier a turkey bone(without my knowledge).That night he threw up and the next day had diarrhea. The following day his stole was normal but he didn't eat much. Today(4 days later) he isn't really eating or drinking. What should I do?

Old 11-29-2015, 03:49 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,131,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackice1401 View Post
On Thanksgiving my brother had given my lab/terrier a turkey bone(without my knowledge).That night he threw up and the next day had diarrhea. The following day his stole was normal but he didn't eat much. Today(4 days later) he isn't really eating or drinking. What should I do?
Do take your dog to your vet first thing Monday morning and tell them exactly what you posted here. If you're really concerned, go to the emergency vet this today.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,017 times
I found my dog late last night she is straining to poop and is acting really weird the neighbors threw their turkies over the hill and I think she got into them I am jobless and broke right now I can't afford to take her to emergency room what should I do she doesn't have any blood in her stool or anything jet some diareha and is in some pain at times and is shaking off and on when she is breathing sometimes have no idea what to do taking her to the vet in a few hours soon as I can borrow the money please help really worried

Old 12-14-2015, 06:07 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,283,703 times
You need to go to the vet. The sooner the better. Was your dog an outside dog? Was she was offleash while you were walking her? If you have no money, being extra vigilant in watching your dog could prevent a lot of future accidents.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:49 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,017,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat View Post
I found my dog late last night she is straining to poop and is acting really weird the neighbors threw their turkies over the hill and I think she got into them I am jobless and broke right now I can't afford to take her to emergency room what should I do she doesn't have any blood in her stool or anything jet some diareha and is in some pain at times and is shaking off and on when she is breathing sometimes have no idea what to do taking her to the vet in a few hours soon as I can borrow the money please help really worried

Watch the dog's stool. If it turns black, or blood-red, you need to see the vet. Bottom line.

From your description, it sounds more likely that your dog has doggy food-poisoning, rather than a punctured intestine from bones. But the vet is a good idea. Dogs are more resistant to the bacteria that cause food-poisoning than humans are. Their digestives systems are shorter, so they pass the bacteria quicker, and the bacteria don't reproduce as much in that time. So they can get sick for a day or two, like a person, and then get better. Spoiled food can still kill, but it is less likely.

In spite of the fact that I have seen my dogs eat raw meat and guts that have been outdoors for days and weeks - stuff that I would not feed a human if they were my worst enemy. And then who would eat such nasty smelly stuff?? Anyway, I've never seen a dog suffer more than a day or two.

Bones, IMO, are not a vet emergency room ordeal. Cooked bones, and raw bones for that matter, CAN puncture the stomach or intestines. But this is rare, compared to how often dogs eat those bones. Both raw and cooked bones get digested before they are passed through the system and excreted in the feces. Sometimes they "bind" in a section of the intestines and block everything - which is also bad. But they do not usually bind like this. If they puncture the stomach or intestines, obviously this could be very bad - but it is very rarely the kind of bad that needs emergency attention. So, don't wait for 2 days after a bloody stool (black or red), and THEN think you can wait another day before talking to the vet.

So you have to judge for yourself - how sick is the dog? Does it have a fever (keep in mind that dog's have a higher base temp than humans)? Continuously vomiting? Repeated diarrhea? Food poisoning, or a punctured gut - I think those are the two possibilities. I think neither one is likely to be fatal with 24 hours, or even 48 hours.

Even so, if that dog, the one who was sick, was my buddy, and was sick enough that I was looking around and saying to myself "WTF!?!?"? I would be headed to a vet just as soon as I could make it happen.

You don't find buddies every day.

Last edited by hiero2; 12-14-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 12-14-2015, 08:23 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,573,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat View Post

GET YOUR DOG TO A VET! NOW!
Call around and try to find one that will allow you to make payments. If not, find out if there is an organization in your city that helps animals/owners in need financially. Borrow from a friend or your boss (if they like dogs and understand this situation is most likely dire)

I'm sorry to be blunt, but hell, I'd sell my TV, my computer, my car, my rings, etc, anything to save my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs