Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 9,013 times

Advertisements

3 of my dogs shared a turkey leg bone. Will they be ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 02:21 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade Dupont View Post
3 of my dogs shared a turkey leg bone. Will they be ok?
Scroll up. ^^ Our internet exray machine is not working lately.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:41 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
cooked?
possibly yes however we are not vets,

cooked bones are INCREDIBLY dangerous, unlike raw bones which remain rather plaiable, cooked bones shatter and are like chewing on glass...

keep a CLOSE eye on them.
a visit to the vets for a quick xray is always the absolute safest bet when dealing with cooked bones but I know most fokls are not willing to do this...
so...WATCH THEM ALL CLOSELY, any signs of gastric distress (lack or reduced apitite, increased or decreased thirst, vomiting (either rproductive of just bile) heaving with no production, tenderness or swelling of the tummy, upset stomach or ANY signs of blood in the poop, ESPECIALLY if its dark, off to the vet immediately.

otherwise id give each of them a slice of white bread, bread helps bind any shards that don't digest well keeping them gooed together while the digestive enzymes work on them.

and again CLOSE eye on them, no more cooked bones EVER, and off to the vet if theres even a slight hint at dietary distress.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:35 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
I allowed my dog to have some of the turkey bones, but none of the "long" bones, only the softer ones. It seems crazy to me...because I grew up on a farm, one which also raised standard doxies, and we ALWAYS fed our dogs bones. When I say always, I mean...A-L-W-A-Y-S. Not one, single time, e-v-e-r, did we have problems with the dogs ingesting bones. My parents had always fed bones to their dogs. Their parents had always fed bones to their dogs. I have always fed bones to MY dogs. The only difference between my parents and myself, is that I don't let the dog have the LONG bones.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:14 AM

theres a HUGE difference between Raw bones and cooked poultry bones...
my dogs get RAW chicken bones eveyr day (or raw rabbit, quail. turkey ect bones) however COOKED poultry bones are incredibly dangerous!

Old 12-01-2013, 01:50 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Beachmel, I believe you. I also know that a friend's two beagles finished off a turkey carcass from their garbage two years ago, with no ill effects. Still, it's best not to encourage feeding cooked bones of any type. I am probably the least picky person when it comes to hovering over what dogs get into, but cooked bones are dry and they splinter and can't always be digested without perforating an intestine. And once they are cooked, they ovver zero nutritional benefits. So no, they're not acceptable at all.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:59 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Good to know, y'all. I'll be even more watchful!

Old 12-02-2013, 03:20 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Charlie stole and ate cooked turkey bones from the trash-- he hasn't stolen from the trash in literally years so I wasn't even thinking I should watch him...but it's totally my fault. Is there anything I can do besides sit and wait for him to have possible issues? I was reading about possible problems from eating cooked bones and I'm very worried...has anyone had this happen?
What kind of dog? If it's a big dog, it's more likely than not that you will not have a problem other than cleaning up vomit with little bits of turkey bone in it. It's definitely not a good idea to make feeding your dog cooked bones policy, but the odds of this not being an issue are still pretty good. No panicking.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 16,227 times
My dog is a staff and I woke up to find the chicken bones gone from the bin. She seems absolutely fine, and was perfectly willing to eat when I gave her a tiny scrap of meat. I stroked her stomach and throat and she didn't seem to be in any pain, though she was worried because she'd stolen from the bin.
I can't call a vet at this point and will try the bread thing immediately... is there any more advice you can give?

My solace comes from the fact that being a smallish dog with a big dog's teeth she'll have bitten the bones down really well before swallowing, this may help the situation but I'm still worried for her.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:54 AM

just watch her for any signs of discomfort in the abdominal area, straining or refusal to go to the bathroom, blood in the poop or any change in apitite. strange/unusual behavior like letharty or depression or a temperature.
she may not have chewed,but honestly with cooked bones THATS better (less sharp edges)
the risk form cooked bones is when bitten they splinter into lots of glass like super sharp pieces and edges these edges can (not always do but can) scratch, poke, cut, slice and even wedge and get stuck on the way back out due to those very sharp edges because stomach acid cant do as good a job breaking down cooked bone (dry) as it can with raw bone.

just watch close for the next few days, if thers an issue itll usually show up in 12-24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs