Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 PM

212 posts, read 700,235 times

Advertisements

I understand the brilliance of dogs hearing.I however cannot understand hearing a different sounding engine from 2 miles away with other cars,trucks,buses,planes flying overhead,kids playing,adults talking,mowers running,television or radio on,the same upstairs while the windows are closed??? For the record Prince was supposed to be part beagle because he had a tail that curled into a full circle at all times.He was jet black,full white paws in front,half white(just the toes)in back,and a white "star" on the crest of the head right before the neck starts.He walked with me as a kid with no leash all over the neighborhood.I was in full,total control with only my voice to control him.Across streets,to the beach,around to the store block where he would sit and stay exactly where i told him,with other dogs yapping by,or normal ones greeting him,allways sitting and never moving.Except for the time he was attacked by a much larger german shepard.Prince was 60lbs wet and the other dog almost twice his size.Prince must have been mad i was crying because when the other dog ran off he was covered in blood and i brought him home.My dad washed him and he had a small cut on his back.The neighborhood kids would knock on the door and ask if prince could play.My friends would ask if me and prince could come out.I am pretty sure they would have knocked for me if prince wasn't my dog???LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 06:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
bailey can absolutely hear room mate rich's van coming down the street..... from probably at least a block away..... i imagine she does the same for my car too.....

Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
When I was a kid, our dog could tell the sound of my father's car engine. All engines sound different only we can't hear it. She would jump up and run to the front door to await him.
How did the dog "hear" one specific engine out of a hundred? When the engine was atleast a mile away?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:43 AM

691 posts, read 2,330,274 times
This brings up something I have always wondered, do dogs pay attention to landmarks when driving in the car? When we would take Sam to Grandma's house, 1/2 hour away, he would start to get excited when we were almost there, he would be quiet and mellow the whole way, but when we were about 5 minutes away he would start wagging his tail and jumping around.

I think that dogs can "smell" people who are related to each other. He did not often see my daughter's father, and he never really liked men, but when her father came over, he did not even bark at him, it was like he was familiar with him (?).

Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 AM

KEK, I think they can smell the area.My dog can be asleep in the car and wakes up when he smells ocean in the air.Same thing when we get close to the country cabin.So even with him sleeping he smells were close and it wakes him up.Sleeping and put a biskit a foot away and he wakes up.He can smell me putting sneaks on from the other room.Comes into room wagging his tail.So a dogs nose allways knows.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
my daughter left for the army 3 months ago she has a datson for three years just came home for thanksgiving and her dog is acting like she dont even know her growling,trying to bite her and wont even go near her why ?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,443,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsangel1 View Post
my daughter left for the army 3 months ago she has a datson for three years just came home for thanksgiving and her dog is acting like she dont even know her growling,trying to bite her and wont even go near her why ?
May not remember her. Sounds scared. Give the dog some time. That's a huge change in a dog's life. Be understanding and patient and it'll be fine.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,683 times
I had a dog for five month she was two month old when i got her.Unfortunately i could not keep her.so i give her to a new family, it's been a week now since she went to live with her new owner ,they said i can see her when i want to, i am wondering if she will remember me.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,688,360 times
I know at least my old dog & this pup's breed has a memory of a steel trap....
Once they "smell" or see that person... they only need one impression to never forget.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times
When my now passed boxer, Winston was about 3-4 yrs old, my son went to Cali for the summer to help his older sister by babysitting. He was gone about 2 1/2 mths. When he got back Winston knocked him down on the floor and licked his face frantically for about 10 minutes straight, it was hilarious and heart warming...I will never forget it, none of us will. Winston was so special. So, my answer is a dog will remember their loved ones forever!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs