Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:42 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times

Advertisements

My oldest dog grew up with me and my (X) then hubby for 9 years before a move out of state. He will be visiting her and it has been over 4 years now. I wonder if she will remember him? He actually went to rescue and pick her up as a 3 month old pup so maybe she will.

Let me add one more thing. Back home when we were together she new my hubby as Daddy. Whenever he arrived home I would always say, "Daddy's here". She would run to the door. I tested her out the other day here and she did go to the door looking! I am sooo curious to also see how this plays out!

Last edited by Blondie621; 08-23-2009 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
We once went on a 6-week vacation and boarded the dog at her usual kennel. She was happy to see us but not more so than after a one week stay.

I adopted a 4 y/o dog and a year later when the owner came to visit, that dog was so excited, it hurt my feelings! Especially since the owner's BF had abused the dog.

So yeah, they remember!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I have to tell a story about my dogs!!!! When they were about one year old we were on a little "outing". Hubby, myself and the two dogs.

It was time to get out of the car. I took the male on a leash and got out the passenger side. Hubby took the female and got out the driver's side. We met at the back of the car. The were all EXCITED to see each other and the other "parent"!!! You would have thought it had been a week, not 40 seconds.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Oh, don't you dare worry. They will more than remember you -- they will be so happy to see you again.

Here's a great example:

We adopted Artie from a girl named Melissa. Artie is not great at all with strangers. Anyway, we adopted him in May 2007. In November 2008, we were going to Florida for Thanksgiving and although Melissa could no longer care for Artie on a day-to-day basis, she was happy to babysit for him while we went away for a few days.

Remember: Artie had not seen Melissa for a year and a half. Would she be a stranger or an old friend to Artie? And Artie is NOT GOOD with strangers.

Anyway, Melissa came to my house to pick him up to bring to her house. Artie was in the backyard when she arrived. I let him into the house; she was already in the kitchen. It was like his long-lost love was in the kitchen. What a reunion! It was sweet as anything.

So, yes, your dogs will remember you if you go for a couple of weeks or even a month. Have no fear.

They have excellent memories for those they love.

PS. When we went to pick Artie up at Melissa's house after not seeing him for five days, it was another glorious reunion and I got more kisses than I could count.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Here's another situation...

My in-laws come to visit us once per year -- for a week -- in August. (They're here now actually.) Artie LOVES my father-in-law and vice-versa.

A full year goes by between visits though.

When they got here last week, when I heard the car pull into our driveway, I let Artie out the front door. He ran right past my mother-in-law (who he'd just seen in May) and made a mad dash to my father-in-law to greet him.

My father-in-law couldn't believe it -- it had been a year since they'd seen each other, but for Artie remembered him by scent, I guess. He couldn't have even seen who it was on the driver's side. Yet he knew it was someone he loved and hadn't seen in way too long. This past week has been a love-fest. I'm being ignored... LOL!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I had bred Goldens for some 20 odd years. I had a woman who had bought a puppy and moved away...came back 13 yrs later with the puppy to visit me and look into purchasing another puppy. This old girl (the dog) was very stiff from plain old age and her "Mom" explained to me, she could barely make it into the back seat of the car without some help.
The day arrives and as I saw the car pull into the driveway and the door open, I called the dog. I always call my puppies the same way...same voice...this dog ears perked up and came flying out of the car!!!!!!!! She nearly knocked me over....Me....I start blubbering like a fool...as I felt so incredibly touched this dog remembered me (and my voice!) The dog literally crawled into my lap...all 50 lbs of her and stayed there! Licking and nudging....We laughed, Mom felt aa littleput out...and called the dog..She immediately went to Mom...but then turned to me again. I swear she was smiling!
So have no fear...your dogs will remember you!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I had bred Goldens for some 20 odd years. I had a woman who had bought a puppy and moved away...came back 13 yrs later with the puppy to visit me and look into purchasing another puppy. This old girl (the dog) was very stiff from plain old age and her "Mom" explained to me, she could barely make it into the back seat of the car without some help.
The day arrives and as I saw the car pull into the driveway and the door open, I called the dog. I always call my puppies the same way...same voice...this dog ears perked up and came flying out of the car!!!!!!!! She nearly knocked me over....Me....I start blubbering like a fool...as I felt so incredibly touched this dog remembered me (and my voice!) The dog literally crawled into my lap...all 50 lbs of her and stayed there! Licking and nudging....We laughed, Mom felt aa littleput out...and called the dog..She immediately went to Mom...but then turned to me again. I swear she was smiling!
So have no fear...your dogs will remember you!
Oy!!! I love, Love, LOVE this story! I have happybumps (aka goosebumps) all over and am close to tears. Y'know what it reminds me of? The video of the two British guys who are reunited with the lion that they bought, raised, and then surrendered into the wild.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:06 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
LOL...Thanks....of course hubby commented: Well, who could forget that voice! Not sure if that was meant as a good thing...or bad thing!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
I don't think dogs ever realy forget some one they like. I have had friends that Jazz and Dash had not seen for years and when they see them they get that very special welcome that they have for people they really like. Same with dogs of friends of mine long periods can pass and when I see them again It is like I am family. One dog I would spend alot of time playing ball when ever I visited with would rush and pick up her ball after greeting me and race to the door looking back at me as she knew without a doubt I would give in and play with her.

With my first dog ( as an adult that is) I left her with my parents and traveled in Indonesia for several months. My mom said at night the dog would go down and sleep in the room I slept in when we visited. The day they came to LAX to pick me up my mom says the dog had gotten up and went and stood at the front door like she knew I was coming home and she was still there when they left for the airport to pick me up. I got the royal greeting when I walked through the door and if she was ever upset that I had left her for that much time I never knew about it.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Two weeks is nothing. When I had to travel overseas for six weeks at a time I boarded my sheltie wih a wonderful family-run hands on kennel and he remembered us with no problem--settled back into his routine nicely. However, he did get real excited any time I took him there--so he must have thought they were his family too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs