Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:03 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
OK - feel free to bust on me!!! I have to leave my dogs behind while I'm gone for at least 2 weeks. It could possibly be as long as a month. They will be in excellent hands and I doubt they will miss me even a 10th as much as I will miss them. Has anyone here had to leave their dogs for an extended period of time? Did your dog remember you with enthusiasm or act like he had to get to know you all over again? They will be getting lots of attention & interaction with other dogs and kennel staff at my vets...lots of outdoor time, etc. I think I am the one with separation anxiety!
Interesting question. My grandparents had a dog, Shepard Doby mix, with who I had a fast friendship, growing up. We lived in another state. Visits were maybe two/three times a year. His reaction to seeing me never changed a bit. Meet us at the back gate, in a complete state of joyful silliness, tennis ball in mouth. Separate me from everyone else, drop ball at my feet. Me, no one else would do.

I was not lowed in the house till at least an hour of ball and wrestling had been accomplished, but even after I was allowed to go see my grandparents, he would sit at the screen door, soggy ball in mouth, whining , plaintively. When outside, he was glued to me, and would herd me around, making sure my attention was not distracted from him for long. Damn! I miss those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
OK - feel free to bust on me!!! I have to leave my dogs behind while I'm gone for at least 2 weeks. It could possibly be as long as a month. They will be in excellent hands and I doubt they will miss me even a 10th as much as I will miss them. Has anyone here had to leave their dogs for an extended period of time? Did your dog remember you with enthusiasm or act like he had to get to know you all over again? They will be getting lots of attention & interaction with other dogs and kennel staff at my vets...lots of outdoor time, etc. I think I am the one with separation anxiety!
They will always remember you if they love you. even 15 years later in theory. I won't leave mine alone. I know they will miss me more than I miss them, well the smaller one not so much, but the other guy is like my shadow, the poor guy would be devastated if I left him somewhere. he had no way of knowing if I will come back or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs