Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:25 PM

369 posts, read 2,165,473 times

Advertisements

The other day we awoke to what we thought was diarrhea in Radar's crate. We were sad because he was doing so well with not pooping or peeing in the crate or the house.. We cleaned up the mess, and he seemed to regulate that day.. Normal poops, normal behavior..

That was saturday...

Now last night, we were playing for a good 30 minutes, when he stopped and out of no where.. Puked.. It looked and smelled just like diarrhea.. It was identical to what we had cleaned out of his crate a few mornings prior.. Also, he had diarrhea this morning... but now he's back to his normal self again..

I just did a google search.. and it seems that an intestinal blockage could be the culprit for all of this... In his vomit last night, I saw a bunch of undigested food, and a treat that looked like he hadn't even chewed.. It was in mint condition..

I'm wondering if this "blockage" could have been from eating to much junk.. Like I said, he had a treat that hadn't been chewed (duck and potatoes treat.... vitalife), and he's been going through his bullysticks like crazy.. he may have had 3 of them this week...

I'm thinking he ate way to much junk, and it wasn't digesting properly.. So his body eliminated everything.. Today we fed him his normal breakfast (half cup of california natural), and he will get no treats or bullysticks.. Tonight he'll get another half cup of food..

If he doesn't vomit or diarrhea, would that eliminate the fear of anything horrible.. such as yarn wrapped around his intestines? I'm certain he hasn't eating yarn... I'm just hesitant to bring him to the vet because every time we do, its a false alarm, and he ends up being okay..

If he starts to act lethargic, or if he pukes or diarrhea's again today.. He will be rushed to vet.. I'm just wondering if he doesn't.. does that rule out anything sinister?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
Sounds like he's stopped-up, doesn't it. I'd take him to a vet and gladly pay to hear that he's OK. Those chew sticks could plug his system, or he could have a "knot" in his intestine which would be fatal. If his body gets poisoned from bile, it's curtains for him. Taking on a pet is a responsibility with financial obligations. He needs a doctor immediately. I'd take a sample of his vomit and anything else he's coughed up. This could be minor, or it could be lethal. It's definately not normal.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Sounds like he's stopped-up, doesn't it. I'd take him to a vet and gladly pay to hear that he's OK. Those chew sticks could plug his system, or he could have a "knot" in his intestine which would be fatal. If his body gets poisoned from bile, it's curtains for him. Taking on a pet is a responsibility with financial obligations. He needs a doctor immediately. I'd take a sample of his vomit and anything else he's coughed up. This could be minor, or it could be lethal. It's definately not normal.

True, but you cant run to the vet for every little thing like I have. If he was layed out, and wasn't playing or being active, you bet your *** I would have rushed him to the vet.. Today he seems normal. We have been giving him way to many bullysticks.. I'm thinking that's what caused all of this.. If symptoms persist, or get worse.. He's at the vet.. Plain and simple.. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this

Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
This isn't obstruction. You'd really know if there was obstruction. The dog would eat and drink NOTHING. And if he tried to eat or drink, it'd come RIGHT BACK UP. In addition, his abdomen would be VERY, VERY tender. Having diarrhea, by the way, does NOT mean there is no obstruction: diarrhea can sometimes move around an obstruction.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
One of my dogs does that occasinally and it always means antibiotics for a nasty gastric infection.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This isn't obstruction. You'd really know if there was obstruction. The dog would eat and drink NOTHING. And if he tried to eat or drink, it'd come RIGHT BACK UP. In addition, his abdomen would be VERY, VERY tender. Having diarrhea, by the way, does NOT mean there is no obstruction: diarrhea can sometimes move around an obstruction.
Ditto.

Also it is possible he is eating his poop and throwing it up. Nasty...but true.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Ditto. Also it is possible he is eating his poop and throwing it up. Nasty...but true.
This was my first thought when I read the OP. Maybe he couldn't hold himself and tried to clean his crate up.

What are bullysticks? My pup threw up those edible chews right after he ate them - no more chews of any kind.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
This was my first thought when I read the OP. Maybe he couldn't hold himself and tried to clean his crate up.

What are bullysticks? My pup threw up those edible chews right after he ate them - no more chews of any kind.

He didn't eat poop... I spent my whole day with him.. he didn't eat his poo.. or any other poo for that matter...

it was his kibble that he barfed. but it was digested to the point that it smelled like poo.. and look liked diarrhea.. it was awful..

he didn't puke today, but he did have a soft stool.. still not sure what is going on

Old 08-20-2009, 11:46 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Not true. My dog had an obstruction and she ate everything I gave her and drank unusual amounts - She would sometimes throw up immediately and sometimes it took a bit. She acted normally and her abdomen was not tender when we took her in (very stoic). It took 2 trips to my vet (1st treated for a GI infection, 2nd xrays and ultrasound revealed a blockage) and an 3 night stay at the EC to fix her up. She exhibited none of the textbook symptoms of an obstruction which is why it took so long to figure it out.

I wouldn't take any chances with your pup. Taking him in for a physical isn't that costly and it could save his life. The vet is more likely to notice something you think is nothing. They can give you the right recs for what he needs as far as food, too.

Ask your vet about giardia. I would take him in to get checked for that because it is zoonotic (meaning you can get it from him - and that's not something you want to do!).

Oh, and I would quit the generic chew sticks all together. Not good for him. Get CET chews or something that are proven to digest easier.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 197,411 times
Our dog Lady had very similar symptoms last year. However in our event, we took our dogs for a walk and saw some random bread broken up and lying on the ground. We steered our dogs away. The next day there was more bread in another area and we steered our dogs away however, our Lady somehow pulled and got ahold of a small piece. She was able to eat a bit before we could tear it away. We monitored her the whole night and next day and she seemed fine. We went to work and came back to find massive amounts of what looked like diarrhea in her cage. We took them out to go to the bathroom and she had some diarrhea like we expected. We came back in and started to clean up the cage. About 15 minutes later, I went in the bedroom and Lady cem in wagging her tail and happy and out of nowhere as she was still waling forward she threw up what looked and smelled like diarrhea, except this was completely watery and was projectile. For the next 2 hours, Lady would randomly throw up like this and when we took her out to pee about 30 minutes after she threw up, her diarrhea now looked like water. Completely clear, like a hose was turned on strong. We gave her a scrambled egg and rice which is what typically works for us to stop diarrhea in our dogs. She threw it up about 10 minutes after eating it. Otherwise though she was prancing around, happy, playing with the other dogs, nothing was wrong. We called our vet who said to put her on a food and water fast for 24 hours, which is what our vet recommended since she was acting normal otherwise. The vomiting stopped the next morning but the diarrhea was still water. The next evening we gave her a scrambled egg and rice and limited water. Her diarrhea regained its normal brown color and started thickening up. Over the next two days it all got better. Total recovery time was about 4-5 days. Our vet and us think there might have been rat poisoning in the bread as we live in a city with pest control. Someone in the neighborhood might have been trying to bring them out and didn't think about the animals in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs