Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,455,589 times

Advertisements

Keeper,

This does not sound like anal glands. It sounds like the dog is stressed and anxious, possibly in pain. Keep an eye on her. Watch for bloat or any type of gastric upset.

My dog would pant and follow me when there was any type of thunder in the background. As the dogs get older, they get more sensitive to deep rumbling noises. My dog also did not like the sounds of shot guns or banging in the distance. If she heard this, we had to end her walk and go home.

W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Thank you everyone...update

Another thing is he is won't take his 'baby' which he has always had to have when we go to bed at night. Nothing has happened at night that would cause him to be upset. I am always home at night and he sleeps with me. No bad weather.

This AM he started out with tail down but appears to be OK now. The only thing that has happened recently was Bernie (another neutered young male) jumped Harley the other day trying to bully him. No one was hurt other than feelings maybe. I was on the deck at the time but not sure what started it It appears Bernie is trying to establish dominance over Harley since he is the weaker dog. This happened during the day and Bernie does not sleep on the bed.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-23-2009 at 06:40 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 06:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
This is kind of on the far out side - but have you checked his teeth? If he's having a toothache and can't chew his food completely, that could account for some of the gas and for the behavior. Just a thought.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Thank you everyone...update

Another thing is he is won't take his 'baby' which he has always had to have when we go to bed at night. Nothing has happened at night that would cause him to be upset. I am always home at night and he sleeps with me. No bad weather.

This AM he started out with tail down but appears to be OK now. The only thing that has happened recently was Bernie (another neutered young male) jumped Harley the other day trying to bully him. No one was hurt other than feelings maybe. I was on the deck at the time but not sure what started it It appears Bernie is trying to establish dominance over Harley since he is the weaker dog. This happened during the day and Bernie does not sleep on the bed.
He is not taking his 'baby'?

Sounds like a very sensitive guy. He may still be upset about Harley bullying him. Dogs can hold on to this stuff for days.

One time going down the stairs a lamp slipped out of my hands and fell on top of or nearly on top of my dog. She was okay, but felt like either I did it on purpose or that this was something I was going to do every time we walked down the stairs. They are like kids.

W.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:02 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
This is kind of on the far out side - but have you checked his teeth? If he's having a toothache and can't chew his food completely, that could account for some of the gas and for the behavior. Just a thought.
This sounds reasonable to me. You can look at the teeth yourself and see if anything looks weird to you, any odors, loose teeth.

He could just be sensitive to the other one bullying him, I've known dogs to be on anti-depressants due to an issue.

Good Luck.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:13 PM

452 posts, read 1,723,427 times
If someone in my home bullied me once...I'd be darn sure they were going to do it again. Since harley cannot pack his bags and get the heck outta there...I'm betting he's just plain scared. He's the weaker dog and you're the alpha?? He's looking to you to fix it.

Keeping in mind that I'm certainly no expert but a dog's comfort zone is supposed to be just that...and his isn't so comfy with bernie being a bully.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:37 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,667,028 times
Ruling out other things, it is obvious you dog is anxious and fearful. He has always been your baby and now that he has been challenged by the other dog, he may feel that you won't want him anymore because he is not alpha dog. Right now, he doesn't know where he belongs in your family. As dogs get older, they develop seperation anxiety. You didn't mention if there had been any change in your personal routine. They think when you leave, you are never coming back and they will be alone. I recently experienced that in the last 5 months of my St Bernards life last year. She literally followed me nose to heels everywhere I walked in the house. There was nothing I could do to reassure her. When she began to develop paralysis in her hindquarters, she would literally drag herself after me if I got up to go to the bathroom. I finally had to put her down to end her misery.
All you can do is accept your dog's love when he brings it to you and let him work out his differences with the other dog on dog terms. Once he finds his place, and knows it's ok with you, he will feel better.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:27 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
Wouldn't reassure him too much (or coddle him) b/c it could give him a reason to think he should be nervous (if that's what it is), it would just reinforce it (much like a child going to the dentist, wouldnt say "Oh, it's OK, it won't hurt"), it just sends a mixed message. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Wouldn't reassure him too much (or coddle him) b/c it could give him a reason to think he should be nervous (if that's what it is), it would just reinforce it (much like a child going to the dentist, wouldnt say "Oh, it's OK, it won't hurt"), it just sends a mixed message. Hope he's feeling better soon.
Yeah, but he won't take his 'baby'!

Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 PM

399 posts, read 2,254,224 times
Did the vet check his spine and hips? If Bernie 'jumped' him, does that mean he jumped on top of him? Is his neck sore? A lot of dogs will shake when they are in pain and they become very clingy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs