Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,591,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have, on the front of my car, a device called a deer-whistle. When driving, the air passes through it, emitting an annoying whistle that deer can hear, causing them to run off the road. Quick---somebody ban these inhumane devices that cause innocent Bambi's so much distress.
They don't work! NC Highway Patrol tested them on patrol cars, studies in GA prove them ineffective.
Quote:
Research at the University of Georgia and less formal experiences of the N.C. highway patrol indicated that deer whistles don't seem to have any effect in reducing the chance of collisions with deer, the wildlife biologist said. Often the high-frequency whistles emit no sound at all or make noise beyond a deer's hearing capability.
New UNC analysis of N.C. accident records shows growth in motor vehicle-de...( deer are not killed and often not even ...)

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,212,538 times
I also have data. In Michigan, the statewide average year round for car/deer collisions is five per day per county. Some State Farm insurance agents have been giving deer-whistles free to their clients for the past five years, and report a 60% reduction in their deer-collision claims.

By the way, the worst kind of car/deer crashes are the ones where the deer is not killed and comes through the windshield, and cuts the occupants to pieces with its sharp hooves in a panic to get out.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 PM

458 posts, read 1,358,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I could see how this product would work in the hands of an untrained person . what would you do if you physically injured one of those dogs or both of them ? and if they saw you and actually got you on video tape using this do you know how fast you would be arrested for animal abuse ? god think about things before you use them or better yet before you buy them . dogs bark that is what they do that is how they communicate deal with it or move it is as simple as that . Yes I like my dogs better than i like some of my neighbors .
I agree 100%

Old 05-09-2009, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,540 times
Default Constant Barking Dogs

I love dogs and have had several dogs, cat, birds, etc. I expose my children and grandchildren to dogs to acquire respect and comfort with animals. Constant barking dogs directly across my fence, whether the homeowner is home or not, inhibits being comfortable with pets. I agree if an owner is home, they should bring the dog inside or whatever is needed to manage their dogs barking behavior. There are dog safe devices an owner can install around the neck that activates at several levels of barking. Some devices produce small electric shocks, or disperse a foul odor to dogs. The point is that the owner must manage the barking situation, and if they do not especially when calm discussion has taken place, it is certainly within my right to take steps that are humane to the animal; the dog barking has taken away the pleasure of my yard, leaving my windows open at night, and I intend to take it back. I am retired with physical ailments, and have enjoyed gardening and playing with kids until the dog barking became terribly unbearable.

As a neighbor, I have every right to enjoy my yard in peace; it is even more disturbing when I have family & guests over, and worse yet when I baby sit for my grandchildren or they sleep the night. Babies awakened from a nap or night sleep by what seems to be a ferocious looking dog scares the children, and leads to a terrible day for us because naps were disrupted.

I do wonder if animal control looks the other way, if the neighbor is using a guard dog, which is posted on the fence, because he runs a business from within the home and may have expensive assets to protect? I would say, it should make no difference because we are zoned as residential, and the barking is a major disturbance.

I also have the birdbox device that plays a high pitch tone, but I am not convinced it it works.

Suggestions please, and it is not always calling animal control since I desire a closeness among my neighbors.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:15 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,494,841 times
Frankly anyone who is irresponsible enough to allow their dogs to behave in this manner deserves what they get. Maybe they should make a version to strap on the irresponsible dog owner so they can hear their own dogs barking all day while they are going about their business.

I have pets, I don't make it an inconvenience on anyone else that I choose to do so and I expect the people around me to have the same courtesy. When they don't, this device looks like a good idea.

As for the silly idea of suing someone, YOU DON'T OWN THE AIRWAVES. I will plug in what I need to, to have some quiet. If it bothers your barking, annoying flea bitten dogs, then thats YOUR problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs