Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,130,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The device works by feeding back a high-pitched sound that annoys the barking dog almost as much as the dog annoys the neighbors. What is cruel about that?

I have, on the front of my car, a device called a deer-whistle. When driving, the air passes through it, emitting an annoying whistle that deer can hear, causing them to run off the road. Quick---somebody ban these inhumane devices that cause innocent Bambi's so much distress.

Phonelady, my wife and I "do things that people do"---but we are too considerate of you to do it where you and your kids can watch us or hear us doing it 24 hours a day. And then tell you to deal with it, or move. Your neighbors hate your dogs, and your neighbors hate you. Is that what strokes your self-esteem?
you are assuming my neighbors hate me nothing could be farther from the truth . You know nothing about me so stop assuming that you know me . My neighbors love me because I dont cause a problem in the neighborhood you obviously think on the other hand that if the someone is causing a problem deal with it in a childish manner .

Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,714,264 times
I'm a little surprised at some of the posts here.

We have two dogs (and a worthless cat) at our house. Our house is in the middle of the city, but sits on a lot that is a whole acre. In other words, our neighbor's houses are not 10 feet from where our dogs run.

We let our dogs out, for the first time, at 5;30 AM. When they've done their business and bark at us, we let them in. For the most part, if they're out in our back yard we're there with them.

We would NEVER, under ANY circumstances, just leave our dogs out in the back yard to bark incessantly and annoy the neighbors. NEVER. That's just stupid, and people who do that - in town - shouldn't have dogs.

Unfortunately, a lot of cities have very lax enforcement of their noise and pet ordinances. So in a lot of cases, complaining does nothing.

People who have incessantly barking dogs in their backyards - people who refuse to keep them quiet - should NOT be surprised when neighbors take things into their own hands.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
Ohama - you are an example of a responsible dog owner with well trained animals. You are not the irresponsible neighbor the OP or I were experiencing. BTW – I like dogs that are not trying to have me for supper. I don’t even mind being slobbered on by a friendly bulldog. The is in the nature of a well trained friendly dog that slobbers.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
Note to OP. Try putting that gadget at the focus of a parabolic reflector, like the digital sat tv rig, and aiming it at the mutts. That would be a very loud directional audio discipline ray for anything that can hear the high frequency. Let the dogs, but not the neighbor, see you doing this and they will shut up whenever they see you.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:40 AM

36,672 posts, read 30,977,749 times
Quote:
Note to OP. Try putting that gadget at the focus of a parabolic reflector, like the digital sat tv rig, and aiming it at the mutts. That would be a very loud directional audio discipline ray for anything that can hear the high frequency. Let the dogs, but not the neighbor, see you doing this and they will shut up whenever they see you.
Maybe the OP should let the neighbor know what he is doing. Perhaps then they will take some responsibility for the problem. Im a dog lover, I have five, but I can not stand to hear excessive barking.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,675,841 times
It is the owners fault that dogs bark. Train them, don't chain them! This is why they bark. They are unsocialized and become protective and just bark at anything unknown to them! Wake up people, socialize your dogs, bring them in the house, take them for walks, get them around people. Then there is no need for stupid products like this. In the end I blame the owner, not the dog! It is never the dogs fault!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:45 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,070,670 times
It's all about responsibility, you have the freedom to let your dog bark...but you should be responsible that it doesn't sit there doing it 24/7. People who decide they want to exercise their personal freedoms without responsibility, expect some one to so if they can.

I am a dog owner, my dog does not bark save once when the doorbell rings.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:08 PM

145 posts, read 519,715 times
The issue is more about many of the posters taking the posts too personally. Much of the arguing is to get where? I too have a neighbor with an annoying dog that barks continuously. I love dogs. I hate that one. The care needed to remedy the problem is missing in so many areas of this kaotic, high drama household. They are renters and we are homeowners. I see us as the priority due to our investment. They slam doors, yell and scream their frustration with one another, the two young boys run throughout our property without regard for the damage their makeshift toys do to our vehicles. Their cat has jumped up on and scratched through the paint of two newly purchased cars. So when it comes to their dog and four polite and kindly worded requests/front porch visits don't help the situation... I'll solve the problem any way that is not illegal. Inconsiderate neighbors are inconsiderate people. They are just as callous out and about. Those door dings in parking lots, etc are examples of their boorish behavior. You can't get restitution from a 'Hot Mess' situation.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,476,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's all about responsibility, you have the freedom to let your dog bark...but you should be responsible that it doesn't sit there doing it 24/7. People who decide they want to exercise their personal freedoms without responsibility, expect some one to so if they can.

I am a dog owner, my dog does not bark save once when the doorbell rings.
That's a great attitude and usually makes all the difference. Most people will adjust to an occasional annoyance, bark, whatever, if they know that folks are trying to be considerate and making an effort.

As in the rest of life, the trouble is always with the ones who go, "scr*w you, it's not my problem!".

Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,392,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I put a .22 slug in the critters brain one night from a silenced rifle. Then I threw the body into the dump and the dogs head into the neighbors yard. No more threat even though the cops came around as asked some very pointed questions.

Some of my personalities never worried about the rules when it came to defending me and mine.
When I lived on a postage stamp-sized lot in Albuquerque, I owned one of those devices that release a high frequency sound whenever my neighbor's dogs got on one their barking binges. It worked great. Now however, if my neighbor's dogs decided to wander the 3/4 miles to my property and chew on one of my animals, I have a .22 caliber hollowpoint or a .38 caliber for them to chew on.

I too could care less what people think about me when it comes to defending my family and property. Hmmm? Actually I'm retired so I really don't care what people think about me anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs