Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 PM

5,096 posts, read 12,602,166 times

Advertisements

Most of the dogs I have had did this when they were young and it did seem to be more of an evening thing and we called it the Zoomies. I just got back from a weekend trip and the friend I was staying with raises guide dog puppies and the current 5 month old lab puppy gets the zoomies made even worse buy the retired 14 yr old lab guide dog they took in earlier this year standing and barking at the puppy which makes the puppy even crazier! They had been the puppy raisers for the old gal they took in so she has come full circle and will live out her days with the first family she knew a home life with .( they are born at guide dog school and then when old enough go to pupy raisers for 12=16 months).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,061 times
Yesssss I am going through this right now! I have a 4 month old Great Pyrenees/Lab mix and he so big. He goes absolutely crazy he chases the cats,nips at me, barks at me and tonight at one point I actually thought he was going to bite my face he charged me! I tried not to show my fear cause I know he's trying to show his place but I ended up having to lock him in the crate several times. He even peed in the house which was crazy cause he has been trained on bells since I've got him and hasn't gone in the house forever I'm just kinda baffled because durning the day he's the sweetest thing and listens so well. I feel I'm at my whitts end! Hence how I found this feed any help would be absolutely wonderful I am trying to keep my temper under control and stay calm but wow this is just crazy to me. He's finally laying down now but I'm just worn out.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,673 times
is any medication make them quite at night ?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:36 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,119,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
My cockapoo puppy is almost 5 months old. He is pretty laid back and calm except for around 7pm at night he gets completely crazy! He runs in circles growling, and if my kids are around he charges them, knocks them down, bites them and just goes wild. I usually have to catch him, which is not an easy task, and put him in his cage to calm down. Does anyone else's dog have a bewitching hour? This is the only time of the day I am really afraid to have him around my children who are 5 and 3. Will he outgrow this insane behaviour? Tonite he did it after we had gone for a long walk, came home, ate dinner, etc...so it isn't like he doesn't get enough attention or exercise. I am at a loss and quite frankly can't stand this!
I don't have the answer, but I am curious, because our, very laid back, dog starts doing this in the morning when he wakes up. Typically, he'll be snoring away, my husband gets up, and the dog starts going nuts, on me...jumping on my head, licking and scratching and rolling around. This is the only time he acts like this.
Don't you wish dogs could talk?

Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
My 10 week old puppy does the same, it's pretty much every evening around 5:00/5:30-6:00/6:30. She gets crazy and overly aggressive with her play. She growls and bites and tries to bite your legs and shoes while they are on your feet. She will even go crazy on the plants in our yard, attacking the bushes and grabbing branches and thrashing around. I usually feed her after her crazies and then she has a long nap. It's hard when you have kids because the evening puppy crazies are just like an over stimulated child that won't listen and needs to burn out.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:05 PM

965 posts, read 941,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie6161 View Post
My 10 week old puppy does the same, it's pretty much every evening around 5:00/5:30-6:00/6:30. She gets crazy and overly aggressive with her play. She growls and bites and tries to bite your legs and shoes while they are on your feet. She will even go crazy on the plants in our yard, attacking the bushes and grabbing branches and thrashing around. I usually feed her after her crazies and then she has a long nap. It's hard when you have kids because the evening puppy crazies are just like an over stimulated child that won't listen and needs to burn out.
Actually at that age you can consider that over tired, and give them a treat in their crate to relax them. It means they are overstimulated.
Most of the time I refer to it as the zoomies when they do that, and I love it! But.... when they get out of hand like that I calmly take them to bed, like a "time out". They don't know it is like a time out.
If they calm down for Half an hour or so you can try again, that too depends on time of night, and amount of settling down (and how soon puppy can settle). They will NEED you to save themselves from a tantrum/ meltdown. So if they wind up further maybe it really is bed time. They are such babies at this age, and they really do getnover tired! In the next month or 2 that will change.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:35 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,558,664 times
The Zoomies are great and so fun to watch. Our puppy ran back and forth FULL speed from one end to the other of our couch yesterday at our cottage. It was hilarious.

One of our dogs (gone now ) used to attack me when we went to bed at night when she was a puppy (She was only 4 pounds and was play-attacking, not vicious) She was relentless.

One night I finally put some dry food out on the bed hoping that it would distract her. It worked. We gave her a snack every night on our bed and it made a difference. Maybe she was just trying to tell me she was hungry? Dunno...

Old 02-21-2017, 10:35 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,119,967 times
My dog is 4 and he does something similar 2x a day. When he first wakes up, he goes a little nuts on the bed, jumping on me. Then, after he pees in the morning, he races madly around the yard in circles a few times. I think the first thing is what a litter of puppies do when they first wake up...tumble over each other to get to the mommy. The second thing is just stretching his legs after a long night.
Other than that, he's just a couch potato.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:53 PM

919 posts, read 611,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

One of our dogs (gone now ) used to attack me when we went to bed at night when she was a puppy (She was only 4 pounds and was play-attacking, not vicious) She was relentless.
My 4 1/2 month old Rotti also plays up at bedtime (at 4 months he weighed 20kg - 44 pound) & gets excited when I take my shoes off & undress for bed.
Although he's got a perfectly good large comfy bed (one side for summer, the other for winter) he's decided that he'd prefer to sleep with me on my bed (I presume that's what he's trying to do when he stands with his paws up on my bed)
He's also "relentless".

When he gets bossy & demanding during the day, I ask him if he wants a 'time-out'. This usually works & he'll slink off when he sees me get his lead out.
So when he acts out at bed-time, I put him alone in the dark bathroom while I read in bed. He settles quickly, so after 15-20 mins I let him out, when he then decides that HIS bed isn't so bad after all, lol.
Only had to put him in the bathroom over two consecutive nights & he will now go to his bed when I say "Do you need a time-out?!" (for the time being at least)

For those who might be wondering; my pup gets fed about 3 hours before bed & is taken for a 20 min walk 45-60 mins before bedtime.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:45 PM

17 posts, read 24,475 times
We call them evening zoomies. It can sometimes be the food but I have always seen them when my dogs are just happy to have eaten a good meal.Here's an interesting read: https://petmaven.io/whydodogs/behavi...U2OKxmUA5AX_g/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs