Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times

Advertisements

Hi! Me again.

OK, Artie has gone from Science Diet (crap) to Iams (same crap) to premium brands:

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul: He had loose stools, presumably from the milk ingredient.

Canidae: Still has loose stools, even when mixed with white rice. Now I'm thinking that he has a gluten intolerance.

(Geeeeee, what IS Artie tolerant of?????)

So, I've done MORE research and think that I'm going to transition him to Wellness Core. It's lactose free. It's gluten free. It's grain free. The only thing that's not free (by far!) is the price. Ouch! But the $60 per 26lbs will save me in vet visits to get his anal sacs expressed if he finally gets firm stools.

Anyway! The point of this thread:

What do you think of Wellness Core Original (not the fish one)? Good? Bad? I want to hear stories before I buy it.

Thanks so much. I'm sure you're as tired of hearing about Artie's stools as I am of picking them up. It's a messy job sometimes.

Thanks,
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,113,181 times
Poor Artie...I do hope this food will resolve it, I know nothing about Wellness as I transitioned my Labs to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and it has been GREAT! Their stools are less frequent and easier to clean up (one bomb or two instead of several).

Old 03-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Poor Artie...I do hope this food will resolve it, I know nothing about Wellness as I transitioned my Labs to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and it has been GREAT! Their stools are less frequent and easier to clean up (one bomb or two instead of several).
I wish you lived closer -- I'd give you the 3/4 bag of Chicken Soup that I have left! I have more than 25 pounds of it, sitting in an airtight container in the basement.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
Google Wellness Core Reviews - it'll bring up some site - one is Viewpoint and it gives opinions based on consumer's experiences w/ it. Would post it but I don't think it's allowable. Anyway, hope this helps

Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,113,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I wish you lived closer -- I'd give you the 3/4 bag of Chicken Soup that I have left! I have more than 25 pounds of it, sitting in an airtight container in the basement.
Thank you for the sweet thought...I am a bit far Is there a humane society or a friend you could donate it to?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Google Wellness Core Reviews - it'll bring up some site - one is Viewpoint and it gives opinions based on consumer's experiences w/ it. Would post it but I don't think it's allowable. Anyway, hope this helps
I did all the online research and it looks great. I just wanted some first-hand experience from the forum.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I wonder if the store would take it back and give you a credit - ? You may need a receipt but it's worth a try as it didnt agree w/ your dog - or else would donate it to a rescue group or maybe post on your local Craigslist, I'm sure you'll get a lot of takers

Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Thank you for the sweet thought...I am a bit far Is there a humane society or a friend you could donate it to?

That's exactly what I'll do -- give it to the Humane Society! Thanks for the idea!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I wonder if the store would take it back and give you a credit - ? You may need a receipt but it's worth a try as it didnt agree w/ your dog - or else would donate it to a rescue group or maybe post on your local Craigslist, I'm sure you'll get a lot of takers
I don't have the receipt, but I will donate it to the Humane Society. Thanks!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times
The Humane Society here will only take certain brands of food because they dont want to risk upset tummies/loose stools by switching around, (the one here uses Purina...eek!) I dont know if its the same in your area, but I would call first just to make sure and save you a trip out there in case they cant take it. Taste of the Wild is a bit cheaper than other premium brands, and also grain-free but I have heard very good things about Wellness Core as well...good luck, I hope you can get poor Arties stool in order, this has really been such an uphill battle for you guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs