Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:43 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,904 times

Advertisements

I feed the original wellness core to my boxer - she loves it! She poops once in the morning and once at night, and they are firm - but not too firm. Now if we walk more than 20 minutes she usually goes a second time, and then it's a little runny. But that is because she didn't really need to go, its just from the exercise and smelling the other dogs poo.

It is very expensive, but they don't eat as much of it as the cheap stuff. My boxer is #50 and she eats 3 cups a day. I hope this works for your dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 04:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I feed the original wellness core to my boxer - she loves it! She poops once in the morning and once at night, and they are firm - but not too firm. Now if we walk more than 20 minutes she usually goes a second time, and then it's a little runny. But that is because she didn't really need to go, its just from the exercise and smelling the other dogs poo.

It is very expensive, but they don't eat as much of it as the cheap stuff. My boxer is #50 and she eats 3 cups a day. I hope this works for your dog.
Thanks for the good news!

Wow! Three cups per day for a 50 pound dog is more than is recommended on the dog food analysis website. But whatever works, right?

How old is your dog?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,218,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
If you think about it, fish would not be a "natural" food for a dog.
That depends on the breed. Actually for Arctic breeds and other breeds such as a reteivers who live near seashores....Fish is a completely natural food for them.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM

She is about a year and a half old and she was emaciated when I got her. Right now we are still trying to put weight on her. When I first brought her home you could see every bone on her body - it was disgusting. I hated petting her anywhere except her face. She is still skinny, but you don't see all her bones. Actually, she rarely is able to eat all 3 cups now. She probably really only eats 2 - 2.5 cups. But I still offer it right now just in case.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 PM

128 posts, read 470,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Orijen is not available anywhere near me.

Why did you switch from Wellness? Was Annie's stool still soft on Wellness Core?

PS. HUGE congratulations on Annie's firm stools! I know how difficult that can be to attain. TRUST ME!
We didn't try Core, we used the Wellness Super5Mix Large breed puppy. She turned 1 in February, and I just made the switch to Orijen two weeks ago. Yes, she was still a little mushy on the Wellness, not all the time, and not the whole poop, sometimes just at the end of a poo. And sometimes the whole poop. The difference on the Orijen is very obvious, plus she is pooping less, which is a huge bonus since I have a dog that eats a little more than two cups a day and can poop FOUR times a day. Sometimes three, but usually no less than that.

I'm thinking it's the grains in the other foods. I was planning on rotating her foods every three months or so, and I have always considered Core to be one I would try in the future, but the results on Orijen have been SO good I'm not sure about rotating anymore.

Oh, and she's a 70 pound flat-coat retriever (that's what we think, anyway, she was a rescue so we're not sure.)

This is my girl...

Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 AM

1phwalls -- Ahh, that makes sense! She was just so happy to have food. Poor thing. I'm so happy that she's putting on weight.

devney -- Your girl is beautiful!!! There's nothing like being obsessed with your dog's poop, right? I feel like Inspector #71 out there, checking Artie's poop when I pick it up. Oh well...

Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,218,633 times
Aww Devney, what a cutie. I was just looking at Orijen again yesterday on line. But no one local sells it unless I go to Anchorage (I don't want to make that trip for dog food) I still may do it tho. Anchorage also sells the EVO red meat large bites, which I really love and its about the same price as Orijen.
Are you using the 6 fresh fish one?

Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,110,655 times
Devny...she is a beautiful girl, just look at that face!!

Stephanie - I have to go to Anchorage twice a month...could I pick something up for you?

Old 03-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Default First bit of good luck

Well, we've had our first bit of good luck with Wellness already.

We went to pick up a small 4 lb bag of Wellness Core, and I gave Artie a few pieces of it on the way home. He gobbled them up like they were treats.

Then I gave him an early dinner, mixing a bit of the Wellness with the Canidae. This is the first time that I did not mix in some "bonus" food with the kibble. No rice. No green beans. Nothing extra to entice him. Just the Canidae with a bit of Wellness Core.

At first he started picking out the Canidae and setting them aside so he'd just have the Wellness, but then I guess he figured that was too much work and he gobbled down his whole bowl. Not one piece of kibble on the floor or in the bowl. All that IN RECORD TIME.

Granted, we haven't had a stool to examine yet, and I suspect that even if the Wellness firms it up, that won't be evident for another couple of weeks, but just the fact that I don't have to do some major production to get his meal together is a treat for me.

So, so far so great. Stool analysis results will be posted when available.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:55 PM

The boxer I rescued did not want to eat when i first got her. Which was very odd considering she was so underweight. I tried a few different things with no luck. This went on for 2 months! When I got the wellness core, she gobbled it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs