Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times

Advertisements

If he's grain intolerant and he's still getting grain, he's not going to show signs of improvement until it is removed en toto from his diet and any irritation or inflammation of his intestines has a chance to recover. As long as there is still grain in his diet, if this is the cause, then there will still be a reaction. Give him a week or so after being 100% grain-free before you even think about improvement. With a bit of luck, once he's grain-free you'll start to see it heading in the right direction (firmer, but maybe not yet firm enough due to having to wait for irritation to subside.)

Also, bear in mind timing - i.e. it's not today's breakfast coming out at dinner (if you see what I mean). I possibly could have worded that better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 11:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
If he's grain intolerant and he's still getting grain, he's not going to show signs of improvement until it is removed en toto from his diet and any irritation or inflammation of his intestines has a chance to recover. As long as there is still grain in his diet, if this is the cause, then there will still be a reaction. Give him a week or so after being 100% grain-free before you even think about improvement. With a bit of luck, once he's grain-free you'll start to see it heading in the right direction (firmer, but maybe not yet firm enough due to having to wait for irritation to subside.)

Also, bear in mind timing - i.e. it's not today's breakfast coming out at dinner (if you see what I mean). I possibly could have worded that better.
LOL! That was perfectly worded!

That's what I figured: that as long as there was still grain going into him, if he's intolerant of it, then I'm not going to see an improvement. But thank you for giving me the heads up on the irritation issue. I would have thought that the Wellness wasn't doing it's thing right after going to it 100%, but now I'll know to keep waiting on that for an additional week or so.

We're going to get his anal sacs expressed on Thursday morning. I'm setting him up for tabula rasa. New food + clean bum = clean slate.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Bordering on diarrhea

We -- or rather Artie -- just had another poop. This one bordered on diarrhea. And now, as I type this, he's doing a bum scootch because of his anal sacs.

He's not a happy camper. And I'm definitely not a happy camper.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,296,444 times
Did you try adding a tablespoon of pumpkin to his food? That helps him express his anal sacs. It's sad that I know these things. I can also give you a link to a video showing you how to express anal glands at home, if you're feeling particularly adventurous. :-)

Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Did you try adding a tablespoon of pumpkin to his food? That helps him express his anal sacs. It's sad that I know these things. I can also give you a link to a video showing you how to express anal glands at home, if you're feeling particularly adventurous. :-)
LOL! Thanks!

Artie's tried pumpkin. Artie loved pumpkin. Sadly, pumpkin did not love Artie and it made his stool even softer. Sigh...

I've seen that video!!!!! I've tried doing that, believe it or not. All Artie got out of it was a bum massage. I couldn't do more than that! He liked it though. But it did nothing for his anal sacs. We're going to the vet Thursday morning to get it done professionally. Between now and then, though, it's a difficult time, as it is trying to figure out the food issue. Poor little man...

Old 03-23-2009, 03:31 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,219,159 times
I think it would be much easier on Artie (and you) to simply switch him over to the Wellness 100% now. Especially if the grains are what's essentially hurting him...stop giving them to him.
Give him a week on 100% Wellness and see if there is an improvement.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:49 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times
Default Poor Artie

I have to agree with DreamChaser.... the reason I didn't advise it is because I don't like telling people what to do if I'm not related to them by blood or marriage.

I personally, don't do change-overs. Evil, evil dog owner that I am, dogs get new food one day. Dogs look, dogs think "ah, new food" and dogs eat. But see that's me... and I know most will not/do not agree with this and like the change-over as a more "gentle" method. I've never had any trouble, but again, that's me and all the dogs that have been through my door.

You seemed to want to go down that route so I was speeding it up, if you see what I mean rather than a "cease and desist" as that would have been very bold of me, and I'm just not a very bold person.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:08 PM

DreamChasers8 -- Easier on Artie's bum. Easier on my head and heart. Thank you. I just needed someone to suggest going 100%. I couldn't make that decision on my own.

FiveHorses -- You really make me laugh. And you seem to know me so well ("You seemed to want to go down that route..."). We may not be related by blood or marriage (heck, I don't even know if you're male or female!!!! ), but we're related through love of our dogs, right? So, if you think it's OK, and if you've done it like that, I'm happy to give it a try.

and thanks to both of you.

In my intense panic over the last loose stool, I was Googling like a mad woman and, like trying to diagnose your own illness via the Internet, I was making myself crazy.

It seems that many dogs are allergic to chicken. Even more dogs are allergic to turkey. The first two ingredients in Wellness are turkey (first) and then chicken. So my panic intensified.

But I can't believe that he's intolerant of lactose AND grains AND chicken AND turkey. But I have to believe that turkey and chicken are better for him than grains, in that he's a carnivore and they are found in nature.

Here I go babbling because it's so upsetting.

Starting tomorrow morning, Artie will go 100% on Wellness (he had an early dinner tonight).

I should have mentioned that in the last three months, we've gone from Iams to Chicken Soup to Canidae and now to Wellness. The fact that he LOVES the Wellness and eats the stuff like it's treats has to be telling.

So, yes, I'm switching him 100% tomorrow morning.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just needed one person to tell me it was OK not to transition, and now I've got two people. Even better!

I'd give you both rep points but it says that I've got to spread it around before I give more to you. But, in spirit, if not in points, you've got it... and my profound thanks for your help and support. Where's a heart icon when you need it, huh???

Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,219,159 times
I agree with Five Horses, though by a fault of my own have no trouble telling people what to do and yes I get in lots of trouble over it and yet continue to do so. It's only ever just trying to help and you are certainly welcome

I think you are doing the right thing by making the switch over complete. I must tell you since I also feed my dogs raw meat and bones...they have never had potty issues from eating chicken one night kibble the next, beef the next and so on. I would personally hate to be a dog who is fed only kibble, especially the same kibble every singe day 2 times a day...it's like eating a cheeseburger every single day for breakfast and dinner....it gets really old. Mix it up a bit, dogs are not nearly as "sensitive" as we may like to think.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
I agree with Five Horses, though by a fault of my own have no trouble telling people what to do and yes I get in lots of trouble over it and yet continue to do so. It's only ever just trying to help and you are certainly welcome

I think you are doing the right thing by making the switch over complete. I must tell you since I also feed my dogs raw meat and bones...they have never had potty issues from eating chicken one night kibble the next, beef the next and so on. I would personally hate to be a dog who is fed only kibble, especially the same kibble every singe day 2 times a day...it's like eating a cheeseburger every single day for breakfast and dinner....it gets really old. Mix it up a bit, dogs are not nearly as "sensitive" as we may like to think.
Well, even though I'm a very decisive person, I'm so glad when people offer me solid, sound advice.

Hmmm. I never thought of mixing it up a bit -- of course it makes sense that they'd get bored -- and I guess that's because I'm so hooked on the transition method of introducing new food. Well, no more of that for me! I'll actually get a sample of the fish kind of Wellness and see if he likes it once he's adjusted to the Core kind.

I really feel so much better now and can't wait for tomorrow's breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs