Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 18,562 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of your responses. Our puppy went in for surgery today, so hopefully this will help some of his eye issues. We figure we are going to contact the "breeder" and ask them to pay our medical bills OR serve them papers stating what we would like. Not sure which avenue we would like to take yet. We love our puppy so much and after reading last night about puppy mills I was in tears just thinking that if we didn't buy him that no one would love him and he could possibly be dead. He does come with a 4 year health guarantee against life altering medical problems - but I am assuming that eye issues are not "life altering." I just hope that the rest of him stays healthy and that he lives past 6 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,446,937 times
I know very little about the bully but was wondering if all the health problems listed in previous posts are do to over breeding and in breeding or is this a historical problem. Don't want to hi-jack the thread but I am curious on your thoughts to this.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,523,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Not sure but it's been some time but check out this link about puppy lemon laws -

Puppy Lemon Law States

It's always a good idea to see the premises, the parents and ask what health tests have been done on the parents and get references on the breeder. Unfortunately as you're finding out, bulldogs have many health issues including hip problems (check out www.offa.org ), eyes and breathing. Reputable breeders can also have these problems occasionally but they stand behind their puppies. If the puppy lemon law doesn't pan out, you can always try Jacoby & Meyers for a free consultation (I have no connection to them) or court tv but if you have nothing in writing, it may be an uphill battle, buyer beware. Good luck.

that puppy lemon law worked for me and we got to keep the dog but also our money back. Thanks to the help of our VET.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
I know very little about the bully but was wondering if all the health problems listed in previous posts are do to over breeding and in breeding or is this a historical problem. Don't want to hi-jack the thread but I am curious on your thoughts to this.
Most of the listed problems are a result of poor breeding, and are inherited.
Hereditary Defects in Bulldogs

Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 PM

275 posts, read 470,055 times
im sorry about your bully. i hope the surgery helps and you get justice for from these inhumane people. you are giving him a good home by keeping your bully and im sure he appreciates all your time and investment into him. i would definitely go to the police. you may also want to contact the police in the state the puppy mill is at as well as the police in the state that you purchased the puppy from. you may also want to look at contacting the humane society of the area where the puppy was purchased and the humane society or spca in the area that the puppy mill is. best of luck with your little guy!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
With pedigree dogs there are often problems. When you start breeding for certain positive traits, what you wind up with is negative traits as well. I'm not sure that the eye problem is something worth suing. It's common in pugs, too. And it's not life threatening. Hopefully the operation today will solve the problem. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Honestly, it's absolutely amazing that they gave you a four-year health guarantee! And they've already shown that they will honor it. With a bulldog, that could cost them a fortune, frankly. (I would think that eyesight issues WOULD be "life-altering." Life-altering isn't necessarily the same thing as life-threatening.) I wouldn't complain about these folks and I WOULD work with them for the benefit of your sweet puppy.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,296,444 times
Sorry to hear about your bully. When we were searching for a reputable breeder, we found one 15 minutes from us right here in San Diego. He wanted us to come to his house when the pups were 5 weeks old to meet our Porkchop, his sisters as well as both parents. We did extensive research before choosing a breeder and contacted the national, then local Bulldog club, which referred us to this guy. We couldn't be happier. We've talked to people who got dogs from him in the past, and some of these dogs are 8 now and have never had surgery for anything and are very healthy. He takes pride in ensuring his dogs are healthy and not bred for looks and required us to spend hours at his house learning all about the breed before being able to take the pup home. And, he follows up with us to this day. That's a good breeder. When getting a Bulldog, it's very important to do tons and tons of research. You never know who's doing it just for the money.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 18,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Honestly, it's absolutely amazing that they gave you a four-year health guarantee! And they've already shown that they will honor it. With a bulldog, that could cost them a fortune, frankly. (I would think that eyesight issues WOULD be "life-altering." Life-altering isn't necessarily the same thing as life-threatening.) I wouldn't complain about these folks and I WOULD work with them for the benefit of your sweet puppy.
How did they honor it? They CUT OUT his third eyelid on both eyes. Cutting the third eyelid is apparently the worst thing you can do! They did it because it is cheaper than performing surgery to pin it back in place. Had we known that 3 days into owning a bulldog we probably would have made them pay for surgery instead.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,529,780 times
Breeder has business cards? Red`Flag in it for money.
Contracts usually have a genetic defect clause with 1 year health guarantee. Did they give open registration? Can you contact others who bought a pup from then and see if same problem? If was one of mine I would not so called fixed it but would have given choice of another pup and kept the defect myself so was sure not to get bred.
Hope surgery goes well and dog has as normal a life as possible.
I know person who bought a female for breeding seen had cherry eye spayed her immediately and had contacted breeder to tell them and got a refund on some of the money so paid for the spay charge plus shipping cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs