Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times

Advertisements

I want an Alaskan Malamute but can never find one in our area or even close by at a shelter. i tried a rescue groupbut because we already have 3 dogs, they told us no. So now I am considering a breeder but really do not know what to ask when i talk to them. Can anyone who has dealt with one help me? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
First and foremost, keep checking petfinder. Shelters and rescues have very different requirements. And 4 dogs wouldn't make most of them bat an eye, in my experience.
If you must go with a breeder, snofarmer's post in this thread can guide you to a responsible one.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...l#post25166074

Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
As a Formal Breeder I not sure I sell you another dog! Most places limit the amount of dogs you can hve 2 - 3 And really beynd that I make a home visit to see How You took care of them! Are you a Horder? Is the home Clean ... No doggy mess per sa. How big is the Yard? Hours you work & IF the dogs you have are getting enough attention? Many Many More Questions.... So its Not just You picking a Breeder It the Breeder Trusting You with their Fur Baby!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
First and foremost, keep checking petfinder. Shelters and rescues have very different requirements. And 4 dogs wouldn't make most of them bat an eye, in my experience.
If you must go with a breeder, snofarmer's post in this thread can guide you to a responsible one.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...l#post25166074
She already been turned down by Rescues do to have 3 dogs already. I dont think Petfinders will help.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Ummm - 3 dogs doesn't equal a hoarder unless there are a lot of other issues going on. We have 3 dogs and are hopefully adopting a 4th this Saturday.

Main question I have for the OP is why a Malamute? In SC you will have to shave the dog in summer for it to be even remotely comfortable. There might be another breed that would have all the characteristics you are looking for but without the heavy double coat. I have a friend that breeds Malamutes and they are NOT an easy breed to live with! All reputable breeders will have you fill out a questionaire or application before approving you for a puppy. Unreputable breeders will sell you a badly bred dog for twice the price. Please do not buy one through the internet or pet store. If you are absolutely determined to get a Malamute, get a recommendation for a breeder from the National Breed Club.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Three does not make a hoarder.

We have five and a puppy on the way.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM

Maybe in her area there are Limits to how many dogs! I Didnt say she WAS a horder! But as she said she was turned down by Rescues for Having 3 dogs... So as a Formal Breeder thats a Huge Red Flagg. 3 dogs dont mean a turn down unless there are other issues. ANT Breeder that Loves their pups over Money Will Question WHY!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 PM

389 posts, read 1,096,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Main question I have for the OP is why a Malamute? In SC you will have to shave the dog in summer for it to be even remotely comfortable. There might be another breed that would have all the characteristics you are looking for but without the heavy double coat. I have a friend that breeds Malamutes and they are NOT an easy breed to live with! All reputable breeders will have you fill out a questionaire or application before approving you for a puppy. Unreputable breeders will sell you a badly bred dog for twice the price. Please do not buy one through the internet or pet store. If you are absolutely determined to get a Malamute, get a recommendation for a breeder from the National Breed Club.
No, that's a misconception. Dogs with double-coats fur actually protects them from the heat/cold. It's like having their very own built in SPF factor! Never shave those types of dogs. For one, their fur won't grow back in the same way, two you're exposing their skin to potential harmful sun rays and three it doesn't actually cool them down.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 PM

I strip clipped All my Sheltie & Collies in summer... Just make sure its warm/hot & they have shade for 2 weeks till the hair grows in! My dogs Loved the short clip LOL

Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM

9,880 posts, read 14,145,300 times
You know you have a good breeder when they ask you ten times the questions that you ask them. If they really care about where the puppy is going you have found a good one. If they just want your check, run away.

Here is a link to the Malamute parent club.

Finding a Malamute « Alaskan Malamute Club of America

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs