Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 PM

489 posts, read 2,018,183 times

Advertisements

Being the dog lover that I am, after lengthy consideration with regard to adding another canine companion to my home, I finally took that leap in December - or so I thought! After carefully researching dog breeders for my breed of choice, I decided to go with one that was advertising an upcoming litter. I emailed to get general information and was pleasantly surprised by the cost and that they would be calling as soon as the puppies were born (which would be late December or early January). Three days into January, we had heard nothing so I picked up the phone and called them, only to learn that all the puppies were sold. So, why were we left waiting and no phone call made to us? Their response was that we could have one out of the NEXT litter - which they believed one of their females would go into season in a couple of weeks. Then I was asked for a deposit right then to hold a puppy. When I was told a deposit amount which was nearly equal to the entire cost of the puppy from the December litter, I was told "No, that last litter was not the quality that this next litter is going to be", and then she went on to tell me that I would still need to pay a balance upon picking the puppy up (said balance being the exact entire amount of what a puppy from the December litter would have cost). Regrettably (since we had only up until recently thought we would be getting a puppy in two months), I agreed, but I was still apprehensive - didn't want to wait an indefinite period of time when I could be continuing a search for a puppy to bring home. About 10 days later, the breeder calls and says that their female and male are breeding and that she still hasn't received my deposit. So, thrilled by her "good news", I mailed in the check for deposit in January which she immediately cashed. Now, we have been expecting puppies - and not looked into other possibilities since December - only to have her call me TODAY to tell me that it was a false pregnancy and that there will be no puppies but is now saying that there are other puppies on the way which will put us all the way out to June before we can pick one up. I told her I am not waiting any longer, that by the time we would receive a puppy, we would have been waiting six months (and that is only IF the breeder actually gives us a puppy in the time promised -- which would be the third time), and now she is hounding me (no pun intended), telling me that I am not being courteous or understanding and that she is refusing to communicate any further by email (I want it documented) and must speak with me personally so that she can make a decision. The decision isn't hers to make. We are not remaining on a waiting list for some puppy that we have essentially been waiting for since December. I feel that I was extremely understanding and courteous in that I overlooked that we were passed over in December - after we were told to wait - and continued to go forward with a purchase from the next litter (which she now tells me is non-existent). I have compromised to the point of discomfort and refuse to compromise any further. It is our puppy, afterall, and it should be an exciting time not to mention that we have no way of knowing whether or not we are being jacked around. The breeder is several hours away, and we do not know anyone who has dealt with them. The puppies were due to be born any day now, and now there are no puppies to speak of. What do you think? At what point would you cut your losses and get out? What is reasonable when you are dealing with someone that you do not know and money has changed hands? Ever had any negative experiences with a breeder?

Last edited by FedUpInFtMyers; 03-06-2007 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Additional facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,282,354 times
If this were me I would send a demand letter. If the deposit is not returned within 10 days take it to small claims court. Put that in the letter. Then follow through.

I would also begin looking for a rescue group for the breed.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:39 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,768,079 times
Demand your deposit back, if they refuse, take them to small claims court. Hopefully you still have proof of the deposit (cancel check, credit card statement, etc). And just to amuse me, you should take it to judge judy LOL

I second the idea of a rescue There are lots of pure breds out there that need homes. We are about to apply for a rescue for the dog we want.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,413,997 times
WOW!! I was a dog breeder for 20 years Nobody ever gave me a deposit that far in advanced. Yes I kept lists of people wanting my breeds. I also had lists of other breeders If I did not have what the people wanted I recomend someone who did. I have been around all kinds of breeder [show to puppy mills] OK here is my thoughts about your situation...[1st forget the money angle] You have never met this person I gather from your letter... so 1 does she even have dogs? 2 how healthy will the puppy be? 3 how true will it's bloodlines will be? IF you do get a puppy and are not happy for what ever reason do you think she will take it back or if it is sickly refund the money???

Now think... at this point there is no flesh & blood puppy. You are only in love with an idea. BEFORE you go any farther with this breeder, before you send her more money or even except a puppy from her. Before you get emotion over a live puppy. Ask if you were buying a car/furniture/etc do you really want to do business with this person?? Do you trust her??? If the answer is no then Stop sending her money. [A real honest breeder would not treat you this way...not if they really loved their babies...the only thing I can think of are dealers...buy puppies in lots sell to pet stores & the highest bidder] Please find a breeder...visit the place in person.

What kind of dog are you looking for?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,176,425 times
I think the lady is scamming you. Tell her you want your money NOW or else take her to small claims. I have talked to you about this over the phone, and your best bet is get out NOW do not wait around any longer.
When she lead you on with the first litter, it should have brought up a red flag, but your like me, you give them the benefit of the doubt, and give them the chance to get something that you want so bad.
Now she says it was a false preg. I think she is jacking you around and just wanted your money. I wonder how many others she has done this to.
Did she even have puppies to begain with? Some people may do this for a living just to get your money. Not saying that is what she has done, but never trust anyone when they want money up front not unless you know them.
I would threaten her, and give her so much time to get the money back then I would take her to court if it is not in the mail. I am here if you need me.
Sorry you have to go through all of this just to get your money back, but if you don't do it, then they will feel that they got away with it and they will scam more people. Put a stop to her NOW. Call me if you want. Take care. Yorkie

Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 AM

892 posts, read 2,374,658 times
She can not, or should not, ask for any kind of a deposit until she has a comfirmed pregnancy.
When she has received a deposit and the pregnancy ends up false, all deposits should be returned imediately.
You should not buy a puppy unless you have interacted with both the mother and father of the litter. And if need be, have seen both parents hips, eyes, etc., certificates.
Good luck, hope you get your money back.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,376,259 times
If this "breeder" is set up as a business then report her to the Better Business Bureau.

If this "breeder" is running what you believe to be a puppy mill, then report her to the ASPCA.

You could even report her to the IRS if it's just $$ in the back pocket she is after.

I agree with the above poster ... you should defintely check out the facility/home where the dogs are, and never part with any money.

Why not go to your local animal shelter. They unfortuately have plenty of dogs looking for a good home. The two at my feet now were on "death row" and I couldn't have asked for two better companions for last 11 years.

Good luck

Old 03-07-2007, 06:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,236,135 times
I agree with the small claims court, send certified letter that this is your intention and give her 7 days to give you back your money. Then take her to court, simple! Also, don't you have a local paper that would love to take on this story? In NC one of our news stations has someone they call a "trouble shooter", see if you have one or alert the press so other people are not brought into this little "scam" she has going.

I get my companions from shelters, you can't ask for better animals and you are helping to save an animal from death. I got 2 dogs years ago from "breeders" and the health problems of those two made me realize that I would never do that again. Don't mean of offend any ligit breeder, its just if you are burned, well you know the story. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,441,028 times
The best thing you can do if they dont give you their deposit back is to take them to small claims court, and also tell the you will post in every dog forum possible ALL of their details and the trouble you have had with them. The worst thing that can happen to any dog breeder, is a bad reputation. Tell them you will post their names addresses telephone numbers emails and exact details in dog breeding forums.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:50 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,376,259 times
Might be of some help or at least give you some ideas.

http://www.mypetnanny.info/PD/Laws/WV.htm

http://www.columbusdogconnection.com...ingPupMill.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs