Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:42 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
gizmo ... when my 2 goldens and 1 Brittany are driving me crazy, I'll see if you're in the market
LOL... maybe if/when I have a few acres to run them ragged!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
English Mastiff. Used to like a lot of breeds, but after two mastiffs, I want no other.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
English Mastiff. Used to like a lot of breeds, but after two mastiffs, I want no other.
I'm on my first one but I hear they're like french fries... can't stop with just one!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
I am opposed to owning any breed that needs medical intervention to exist and/or is a grotesque exaggeration of what a dog would naturally be [dwarfs, brachicephalics, etc.] unless it is a rescue [ie dogs should not be bred to be unhealthy]

I personally like herding breeds, but only the type [an any of the breeds] bred for work not show. I appreciate other breeds though that are "normal" in design [and that includes some small dogs like terriers]

Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM

113 posts, read 278,318 times
My favourite is Boxer, which I have at the moment. She's 5 and doesn't drool much at all like some of them do, but she sheds hair like you wouldn't believe.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
I have always adopted from the humane society, usually smaller dogs as I don't have space for a big one to run like it needs to. Someone gave me a female maltese and I fell in "maltese love"! Sadly, a stray dog killed her in a fluke accident over a year ago. I was right with her when the dog got her. I miss her so much! I am hoping one day to feel up to trying to adopt another one.

I also like Dachsunds, which surprised me, but my sister has one and she is wonderful!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:19 PM

1,093 posts, read 471,566 times
Never thought I would have a Chihuahua, but got one this spring. I absolutely love her. She is lively and happy. Don't think she is going to be a yapper, thank goodness.

Also love our Doberman, great personality. Pugs are nice sturdy small dogs.
What I really would like to have is a bristle coated mutt with a scruffy face.

Only one I do not care for Saint Bernards.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:52 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,577 times
Default Boxers!

I too was one of those kids with the dog breed encyclopedias. Whenever my kids and I (who are 7 and 8) see a dog, they always ask me what kind it is because I usually know.

I won't own a small dog. I never look before I step and would probably crush the poor things just like I used to do to our cats, so it's big dogs for me. It has also been my experience that small breed owners let their dogs do whatever the dog wants and the dogs behaviors really bother me - of course this is an owner issue. Just because it's small doesn't mean I want it jumping on me!

But I have wanted a boxer since I was 8 years old, so in the next few months that is what I will have. I'm going to fill out a boxer rescue application next week and see how that goes. I've heard some horrow stories about how hard it is to rescue, so if that doesn't work out I know of a couple breeders fairly close to me.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:16 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
Weimaraners are one of my favorites. They are great family dogs. Unlike many hunting dogs, they have to be part of your family. I have had 3 grey ghosts. When my daughter was little Gus would lay next to her with his head on the pillow.

The one I have now is a rescue and she is a hoot. She talks to me or to the other dogs, hopefully they know what she is saying as I sure don't.

That being said I have 4 mutts who are great dogs too. They are all rescues.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:20 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
Great thread!

I currently own a rescued Jack Russell Terrier and have owned a Lahsa who died of old age several years ago.

I like the look of a larger dog but realize at my age it's just too much dog for me.

My criteria is easy groom, healthy and long lived with trainability.

I've been researching breeds for a while because I will be buying one to compete in obedience and tracking and what ever else the breed is eligable for.

Soooo I've finally found the one I want from the breeder I want...LOL She doesn't breed often and her mother was also a breeder. Her dogs compete in obedience/rally, earthdog, field trials, hunter retrieval, tracking, agility, and now even dock diving. She breeds for temperment and health the parents are inspected and approved like they do in Europe before breeding.

So what am I getting? A Dachshund...LOL. Now keep in mind not just any Dachshund but one that is bred for the things I want to do and one that will also be a great companion. She is one of only two or three breeders I would buy from and as you can guess I've been doing lots and lots of talking with breeders of all the breeds I've been interested in for over 3 years now! I've come to the conclusion that not just this breed but this breed from this breeder and I'm willing to wait for a puppy from her.

I've gone and visited all sorts of breeds and clubs and events homes ect. I'm a good assertive positive reinforcment type of dog trainer but have found that I'm intimidated by the larger breeds now. I've been knocked over by several and I'm just not up to the challenge of many breeds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs