Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,033 times

Advertisements

I could just talk dog all day long with some horse talk thrown in. When I was a kid reading through those encyclopedias and AKC books (too bad we didn't have the internet then) I had the following dogs I wanted to have (please excuse my spelling):

Saluki
Irish Wolf Hound
Scottish Deerhound
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Gordon Setter
Tibetan Mastiff
Maremma Sheepdog
Old English Sheepdog with a puppy cut
Kuvasz
Any kind of spitz
Bernese Mountain Dog
Whippet
Great Dane
English Mastif
Tibeten Terrier
Collie
Wolf (Ok, not now that I know better)
Basset hound
Black and Tan Coon Hound
Portuguese Water Dog
Swiss Mountain Dog
Akita
Pharoah Hound
Ibizan Hound
Sloughi
Basenji

Ok - I guess I wanted them all and could just go on forever!

P.S. I remember going to the library to look for new books and beggin my mom for change to make copies of my favorite dogs in the books I didn't have! My neighborhood friend and I even tried to start and sell our own dog magazine featuring our own drawings and articles - again we were 9 and thought this product would be a really hot item in the neighborhood - as you can imagine, it was only a hot item with us LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 02:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,365,924 times
I have only had mutts, usually some type of lab mix. Right now we have a Border Collie/ Lab mix and I think Simon is the best dog that we have ever had. I have thought about a Boston Terrier and have looked at the rescue sites. Our dogs seem to be getting smaller, even though I know that large black dogs are at-risk.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 PM

973 posts, read 3,306,297 times
I love all dogs!!! I learned that there are some that are better than others for me, my wallet and my lifestyle, though.
I find mutts generally have the best temperment and overall personality, along with fewer genetic issues.
I have had several purebreeds and the vet bills for allergies and breed specific ailments, along with grooming costs turned me off of having another like them. My poodle almost broke the bank since she had to be groomed regularly and my German Shepard had a lot of allergies. One that doesn't drool is a good thing, too!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 PM

288 posts, read 918,400 times
I would only ever share my life with another Maltese, a Poodle, or some other non-shedding dog. I have asthma and allergies and cannot be around other breeds for very long, no matter how cute they are. If it weren't for that, I would not be opposed to any breed, though I'd probably still stick with the smaller breeds. That ensures I get some bed space.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM

298 posts, read 704,859 times
Collies-and then more collies!!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 PM

75 posts, read 378,998 times
Branson,
It's not that the Labs & Goldens are needy, they are people dogs. They like to be with their people. You get a dog for companionship so don't you want the dog around you? My Labs like attention but if I'm busy, they will go lay down and not bug me. When it's time for a walk, they are ready to go.
Training goes a long way and helps with your dog's behavior.
Labs, you got to love them. Just like Lays Potato Chips, you can't have just one.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 PM

85 posts, read 262,841 times
#1 favorite, Pekingese. Otherwise, most small dogs.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 AM

342 posts, read 1,832,292 times
Guess I'm choosier than most...
I like playing with/visiting most all dogs, but as for what I would own and share my life with, I'm selective with both aesthetics and temperment.

I like:
Dogs with a solid muscular builds. (molossers! )
Working or herding breeds. (mountain dogs, German shephards)
Large dogs.
Laid back, mellow dogs.

I do not care for:
Dogs that look (not saying they are) dainty, fragile, skittish, or have their tails between their legs. (Saluki, Greyhound, Whippet, small dogs)
Toy breeds or other miniature purse dogs. (Maltese, Min Pin, Pomeranian, Shih-Tzu, Bichon Frise, etc)
Most terriers.
Dogs without fur. (Chinese crested, Mexican hairless)
Dogs that look like mops or have too much fur (English sheepdog, Lhasa Apso, Afghan hound)
Dogs, large or small, that look like scraggley rats (Irish wolfhound)
Dogs with really narrow muzzles.
Dogs that are yappy, hyperactive, or have the Napoleon syndrome.

I'm sure the above dogs make loving pets for the right owner. They're just not compatible with me

Old 09-19-2008, 01:14 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,941,102 times
This thread is reassuring. Though most of us have our dislikes (too small, too big, short haired, long haired...whatever), almost every dog I can think of shows up on at least one person's preferred list and I can't find any breed or type of dog that is universally disliked.

Um, except I guess no one has come right out and said that they are crazy about yappy dogs... Oh well, for the most part, every there is a human out there for every type of dog!

Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 PM

13,408 posts, read 28,747,273 times
I would not own
Pit
Rottie
Chow
Dobie

Not because I dislike the breeds because I know I would not be a strong enough Alpha with these breeds and the dogs would run me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs