Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:27 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,576,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Well, my favorite breed of all time is German Shepherd Dog, i probably wouldn't own any other breed, however, if GSD wasn't available i would be going for Belgian Malinous, my second choice of breed.

I wouldn't own any other breed otherwise, call me crazy, i'm that dedicated to GSDs
I know what you mean. Some breeds just capture you.

I love my collie and loved my previous collie. Has the great combo of looks, intelligence, patience, and gentleness/quiet temperment while still being athletic and fun-loving as well as incredibly social. I like a dog that is very attached to me, but who can be friendly and social with anyone who comes in the door. No drooling, no biting, no chewing, no digging, no swimming, no fence-jumping, no hyperactivity...the only downside seems to be the shedding.

I am semi in the market for a new puppy, and I keep looking at other breeds, but none of 'em seem to match up for the whole package.

I think if I were forced to choose another breed, I'd pick the GSD or Belgian Tuvuren.

Breeds I would never do:
anything small/yappy/rat-like
anything funny-looking or smashed-face
anything aggressive or anti-social/too independent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:09 PM

396 posts, read 1,315,293 times
I would only own a dog that I rescued and I wouldn't own any dog that I had to pay more than an adoption fee for.

LGC

Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,534,251 times
In a perfect world, an Irish Wolfhound, but I don't have the land for that kind of dog.

In reality, I'll probably just continue to take in bully breed/mutts, there's certainly no shortage of them and they're great dogs .

Old 09-19-2008, 11:23 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,532,235 times
My favorite breed is the mixed breed I have right now.

I like rough Collies/mixes, and most of the "northern" breeds. Some of my favorites are Huskies (especially the MacKenzie River husky), most of the Spitz breeds, Belgian Tervueren, Belgian Malinois, Old English Sheepdog, Irish Setter, Greenland Dog, Shiba Inu, Finnish Lapphund, Samoyed, Iceland Sheepdog, Keeshond, and GSD especially the long haired variety, which I don't see many of.

Although I like almost all dogs, I prefer large long haired dogs who don't drool. I'm allergic to the skin oil of many of the short haired breeds such as the Great Dane, Dalmatian, Labrador, and Rottie, so I would not be able to own one of those even though I think they're great dogs.

I'm not into the Bully breeds, Mastiffs, Boxers, or most of the very muscular dogs, or most of the hound and terrier breeds, as far as owning one, but I have worked with many of those breeds and they're all wonderful. Same with small dogs. I like them, but they would not be my choice to live with.

One breed I absolutely don't like is the Shar Pei, but that's because I was attacked by one and have not gotten over my fear of them.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 AM

289 posts, read 571,819 times
I would own any type of dog. I currently have a APBT named Cy and he's my baby (well actually Baby the cat is my baby but don't tell Cy). I have had many different types in the past. Poodles (well 3/4 poodle & 1/4 fiest), fiests, pikengese, retrivers, dalmation, rottie mixed, yorkies, pomerianians, pits, lasapsa & many mnay mutts.

I had one dog that was 1/2 mutt, 1/4 german shepard, & 1/4 wolf. So, I'm not obbosed to owning any type of do. I'm not fond of the great dane, st bearnard, poodles, whatever the bald looking dog is, winnie dogs & a few others. But that's not saying I wouldn't own one if given the chance.

And as far a prefrence to small, medium, or large dogs, I don't have one. As mentioned I have an APBT & love him to death. But I also want a shihz tuz or pomerian for a full time house dog.

Sorry about the spelling. I grew up in the country so mostly all we had were mutts. And not until my APBT have I ever had one registered. So I wasn't one of those that grew up pouring over the dog books memorizing the breeds & their pictures. And therefore am not familiar with how many of the names are spelled. Sorry.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:49 AM

61,255 posts, read 87,660,536 times
dog bite get you sued in a jiffy here.
i like pit bull/shepard mix a lot but of course that is a death wish.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:16 AM

34,286 posts, read 20,601,480 times
Our AKC GSD is the most gentle we have ever owned. And we have owned four in the past 8 years.

The personality of the individual makes a difference. But we also have inside dogs and for that arena, we totally happy with our yorkie mix and poodle mix. The poodle mix was abandoned here 12 years ago.

I am against any large dog that challenges its owner or does not obey its owner. Both of which could be construed as owner caused problems and not dog behavior examples.

However, a friend had a rottweiler and he said they try and move up the dominant chain of command to become alpha. Personally, I would not like having a dog that big who is looking to knock me off as alpha leader of the pack.

Of course, those were his words, and if I am misinformed, LOL, it would not be the first time and I hope I did not tee off any rottie owners.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 AM

822 posts, read 3,010,699 times
I'm all about golden retrievers and have been doing rescue for years and years. But ... I also just adopted a senior Brittany Spaniel from a shelter. She just needed us. I try to find the animals that need me the most and that are the best fit for what I can offer. But any dog would have to be good with children and the other pets in my family - no aggression, and hopefully no destructiveness, please!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:29 AM

30,443 posts, read 52,125,636 times
FYI: My dog is 100% mutt, and that is probably my first choice! But if I got a purebred, here are my opinions...

I wouldn't get a Pit or other bully breed, not because I have anything against them - it's just that having one is like a "red A" around here, and as a renter it would make things complicated (many landlords don't allow them). Too bad they have such a bad rep, but I don't need that extra hassle in my life. And I probably wouldn't get a dog that's really small or really big... I like mine medium & large, like in the 30-70 lbs range. There are a few huge breeds I love, though, and would consider one if I had the space. I'm not sure if they'd be the best fit, but my favorite breeds are German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, Bernese Mtn. Dog, and Siberian Husky. Here are more breeds I would like to own...

Labrador Retriever
Golden Retriever
Mini & Standard Schnauzer
Beagle
Cocker Spaniel
Springer Spaniel
Corgi
Brittany
Irish Setter

Old 09-22-2008, 04:09 PM

822 posts, read 3,010,699 times
gizmo ... when my 2 goldens and 1 Brittany are driving me crazy, I'll see if you're in the market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs