Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 10:41 AM

1,151 posts, read 454,545 times

Advertisements

I have small grandchildren and am wanting to get a Standard Poodle. I recently lost a German Shepard that was 14 years old. Great dog, and loved kids. But, I got him as a pup and was kind of wanting to avoid the pup stage and the housebreaking.

Am I better off with a pup that grows up with kids or will an adult Standard Poodle be better for the lack of puppy energy around the kids? Or, should I just not get a dog until the are older?

The Standard Poodle seems like a great dog and there are usually quite a few for rehoming in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 12:36 PM

23,411 posts, read 19,031,037 times
So much will depend on how kid-friendly an individual adult dog happens to be. A decent rescue should be evaluating how suitable their available dogs are to be around kids of different ages. Many will distinguish between kids under or over 10. The dog could be friendly and loving but a high energy, athletic dog like a standard poodle can still knock little kids sprawling unintentionally. OTOH, if the dog is only around the kids occasionally, you should get the dog that suits you but manage how the kids interact with it. Both parties will need to learn how to behave around the other.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-08-2024 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-08-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So much will depend on how kid-friendly an individual adult dog happens to be. A decent rescue should be evaluating how suitable their available dogs are to be around kids of different ages. Many will distinguish between kids under or over 10. The dog could be friendly and loving but a high energy, athletic dog like a standard poodle can still knock little kids sprawling unintentionally. OTOH, if the dog is only around the kids occasionally, you should get the dog that suits you but manage how the kids interact with it. Both parties will need to learn how to behave around the other.
Smart words. That is my situation. The poodle would live there every day inside the home. The Grandchildren would be there a few times a week. I will ponder that advice carefully, as it is loaded with lots of wisdom in just a few few words. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:03 PM

26,017 posts, read 22,209,069 times
Define "small children" as that does make a difference. I am sure you know that initially, the children will need to always be supervised around the dog. Dogs take some time to adjust after being adopted, and go through different stages as they get used to their new home. Also, the dog may need a refresher course and/or some time when it comes to housebreaking, as that can be an adjustment also.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:05 PM

5,690 posts, read 3,191,619 times
I wonder if you could do a "trial run" with the dog. Maybe the rescue org. Or maybe you could take the grandkids to the rescue org and let the dog and kids interact.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Define "small children" as that does make a difference. I am sure you know that initially, the children will need to always be supervised around the dog. Dogs take some time to adjust after being adopted, and go through different stages as they get used to their new home. Also, the dog may need a refresher course and/or some time when it comes to housebreaking, as that can be an adjustment also.
I am an almost 70 year old man, who has kids, grand kids and great grand kids. I have owned German Shepherds, Dobermans and a Pitbull. I have never had a problem around anyone adult or child, but all of those dogs were raised from just leaving the mom, to their death after long lives. I have never taken in an adult dog. That is what concerns me. Should I get another pup, go through the raising of a pup and introduce the puppy to the children after I am comfortable? Or take in an adult dog and chance it's past treatment or behavior coming into play around kids from ages 3-15? With the pup, I would spot any trouble way before it would become a danger to the kids. With an adult dog, I might, or there may be no problem for a long time, then something trigger a response. I have never owned a standard poodle and am curious of the opinions of people who have.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:17 PM

4,239 posts, read 4,909,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Smart words. That is my situation. The poodle would live there every day inside the home. The Grandchildren would be there a few times a week. I will ponder that advice carefully, as it is loaded with lots of wisdom in just a few few words. Thanks.
I've owned a moyen/medium poodle and a GSD. Poodles are amazing dogs. Great with kids. But they can be boisterous. Mostly that is because they are pretty high drive energetic dogs that need quite a bit of exercise. A standard adult should be fine with kids, but of course it will depend on the individual dog.

If I had small kids coming over I'd probably run the dogs ragged before they arrived so that a bit of the edge has come off their energy. Poodles have big batteries and those batteries recharge quickly, but they do have a reasonably good off switch.

I agree with the poster who suggested managing how the kids interact with the dog. Poodles are fantastic companions.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:10 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,605,784 times
Getting an adult dog will depend on the individual dog. Over the years I have adopted a few adult dogs. Maddie, adult 4 yr old cocker spaniel did great with kids. Dash, Border collie X springer spaniel was a little over a year when I adopted him, and I had 3 young nephews who were wild boys and Dash fit in with them fantastically from the first day he met them. Phoenix 2 yr old deaf, vision limited border collie was afraid of most people and especially terrified of kids. It took a while for her to befriend my nephews despite her seeing both Jazz and Dash playing with them, finally she accepted the oldest 2 but would not let the youngest one get too near her, she however had to be in the room under a table or behind something to keep an eye on him. Over the years she quit being afraid of people including kids and actually became quite social with people at the dog park.

The standard poodles I have known seem to have a pretty good temperament and most rescues should know how the dogs are with kids.

I am a few years younger than you and do currently have 2 adults dogs and a puppy. I can say puppies are a lot of work especially at this age. I have been lucky as mine has slept through the night in his crate since bringing him home when he was 12 weeks old so at least I am not sleep deprived from having to wake up and take him out.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM

11,743 posts, read 6,124,466 times
I have heard Poodles are great with kids because they are smart and patient, but they do benefit from socializing. If you get an adult that has already been well socialized, you shouldn't have a problem. If you get an adult that is completely unsocialized and spent all day inside with one person, that may be a minor problem.

IMHO, you are better off just getting a Poodle puppy and making sure you can socialize it well with your children and with strangers. But a well socialized adult Poodle would be fine too.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

17,368 posts, read 11,335,214 times
All dogs like people have individual personalities no matter the breed. Getting a puppy is no guarantee of anything. Of course, part of it is training from a young age, but genetics plays a part as well. As someone else stated, any good rescue will test the dog's temperament before placing it with a home where young children will be often present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs