Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 11:03 AM

22,616 posts, read 19,322,876 times

Advertisements

i am an adult standing 5 foot 2 inches in height. I have been knocked over by standard poodles.

it is normal and natural for an energetic dog "happy to see you" and "wanting to play" to express that, rear up and put their paws on your leg in a bid for attention or affection. But when a standard poodle weighing over 60 pounds does that, their paws land not on the person's leg, but on the person's chest and shoulders, and yes that can and does knock a person to the ground.

poodles of all sizes, including the very large "standard poodles" have a high energy level. just be aware of that. i agree with the post earlier in the thread that characterized them as "boisterous."

i have not owned them. i have known and visited and been around the breed, in the homes of their owners.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-10-2024 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 11:08 AM

17,375 posts, read 11,346,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I had no clue that Poodles need much grooming.

I thought half the behind everyone getting doodles like Labradoodles, was because they don't shed and dont' require much grooming.

Who knew Poodles need grooming?
I'm not a poodle expert but it's my understanding they have 2 coats of fur an inner coat and outer coat which easily can become very matted if not brushed or groomed on a regular basis. Their shedding is limited though but all dogs shed to some extent. It's the only way to replace old fur/hair with new fur which every mammal does including people. Poodles are not low maintenance dogs when it comes to grooming. Poodles are a good example of why people need to research dog breeds before deciding to get one.

Last edited by marino760; 05-10-2024 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-10-2024, 12:21 PM

6,909 posts, read 4,924,585 times
Puppies are cute, but I prefer them past the puppy stage. House broken and hopefully some manners. No submissive peeing. A poodle cross might be better, especially if it's crossed with people loving varieties such as labs or golden retrievers. Look up what health issues are prevalent in each breed. Also, make sure you have a vet lined up. There are waiting lists in many areas. There's a shortage of veterinarians, and according to my vet it's only going to get worse. Also, what with the buy ups of most of the small vet practices the price of care has been soaring. Mars (the candy company as we know them) owns VCA hospitals.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:36 PM

22,616 posts, read 19,322,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Puppies are cute, but I prefer them past the puppy stage. House broken and hopefully some manners. No submissive peeing. A poodle cross might be better, especially if it's crossed with people loving varieties such as labs or golden retrievers. Look up what health issues are prevalent in each breed. Also, make sure you have a vet lined up. There are waiting lists in many areas. There's a shortage of veterinarians, and according to my vet it's only going to get worse. Also, what with the buy ups of most of the small vet practices the price of care has been soaring. Mars (the candy company as we know them) owns VCA hospitals.
yes. a co-worker shared she is looking at taking a second job to help pay for her pet expenses. She's already spent over $9,000 and only had the animal less than two years (not a standard poodle, a different designer breed of dog). She said the lifetime cost is estimated $20,000.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes. a co-worker shared she is looking at taking a second job to help pay for her pet expenses. She's already spent over $9,000 and only had the animal less than two years (not a standard poodle, a different designer breed of dog). She said the lifetime cost is estimated $20,000.
A poodle is not a designer breed dog. A poodle is a pure bred, whose ancestors were bred for hunting.
A designer breed refers to the latest fad of mixing two pure bred dogs like a Labrador and poodle, and hoping the outcome will be a combination of the best qualities from both breeds. Sometimes you end up with the worst qualities of both breeds like an unhealthy dog and huge vet bills.

Last edited by marino760; 05-10-2024 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 01:18 PM

23,434 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm not a poodle expert but it's my understanding they have 2 coats of fur an inner coat and outer coat which easily can become very matted if not brushed or groomed on a regular basis. Their shedding is limited though but all dogs shed to some extent.
Poodles are single-coated dogs, not double. They are a "hair" breed (coat is thinner but grows constantly) not a "fur" breed (thicker coat grows to a defined length and stops) so it tends to be less dense (fewer hair follicles per square inch) than fur. It tends to produce less dander and shed a little less noticeably than fur but it still sheds. It also needs to be cut periodically unlike fur. Poodles don't do the seasonal "blowing coat" double-coated breeds do. They shed all the time, just less intensely. From what I've read about it, people often mistakenly think a poodle's coat is easier care because it doesn't seem to shed. It does. Because the coat is curly, shed hair tangles in the curls instead of dropping off the dog and being left everywhere else in the house. Voila...mats. The mats need to be removed. You just end up expending energy on dog hair at a different time; instead of removing shed dog hair from your house you just end up removing it directly from the dog!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-10-2024 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Poodles are single-coated dogs, not double. They are a "hair" breed (coat is thinner but grows constantly) not a "fur" breed (thicker coat grows to a defined length and stops) so it tends to be less dense (fewer hair follicles per square inch) than fur. It tends to produce less dander and shed a little less noticeably than fur but it still sheds. It also needs to be cut periodically unlike fur. Poodles don't do the seasonal "blowing coat" double-coated breeds do. They shed all the time, just less intensely. From what I've read about it, people often mistakenly think a poodle's coat is easier care because it doesn't seem to shed. It does. Because the coat is curly, shed hair tangles in the curls instead of being left everywhere else in the house. Voila...mats. The mats need to be removed. You just end up expending energy on dog hair at a different time; instead of removing shed dog hair from your house you just end up removing it directly from the dog!
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:41 PM

11,791 posts, read 6,162,527 times
Quote:
I'm not a poodle expert but it's my understanding they have 2 coats of fur an inner coat and outer coat which easily can become very matted if not brushed or groomed on a regular basis. Their shedding is limited though but all dogs shed to some extent. It's the only way to replace old fur/hair with new fur which every mammal does including people. Poodles are not low maintenance dogs when it comes to grooming. Poodles are a good example of why people need to research dog breeds before deciding to get one.
I am convinced that most people buy a dog for how it looks or the image it has. I don't think very many people put much thought or research into it. I could be wrong, but that is my experience. People often buy a dog that is "in" like the way French Bulldogs are currently the "it dog". Before that it was Chihuahua mixes or doodles.

Or they get a dog that fits their own image and how the dog fits that image. A cute dog or a bad ass dog. Like when a wanna be hunter buys hyper German Shorthairs and then never walks them. He just wishes he had time to hunt, so he buys hunting dogs.

There don't seem to be too many people who list all of the character attributes they want in a dog as well as all of the potential problems that might occur, and then unemotionally and impartially go get a dog that perfectly matches that.

People just get a dog because it is in, or it is cute, they like the looks, or it is popular, or their friends all like it.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:04 PM

4,614 posts, read 2,753,519 times
I've had a poodle, and I've known a lot of poodles.

First of all, they have what I would call a ”soft” personality. They're friendly, rarely aggressive, they want to meet everyone. But they're also VERY energetic. They're like puppies at age 10.

Secondly, they're VERY smart - but even though they're super energetic, they don't seem to get into that Labrador/border collie ”driven to achieve NOW” kind of thing where you have to keep those breeds constantly occupied or they'll tear the house to shreds. The poodle certainly isn't a ”mat dog” that just wants to sleep in front of the fire; they do need a meaningful amount of activity and mental stimulation to be happy - but it's not extreme like those working breeds. But poodles have to be about the easiest dogs to train. I mean, house training our puppy took ONE explanation - she started looking around - I picked her up whisked her out to the corner of the yard, praised her - she HAD it. There were a couple accidents after that - she was a 7 week old puppy, after all - but it wasn't from lack of understanding of what was expected of her.

Third is the coat. It never stops growing. It will become unsustainably long and matted in a few weeks. If you get into the show dog clips, you're going to have to brush the dog every day or she'll become a matted mess. Most people have the poodle clipped short - what they call a ”puppy clip” or ”sport clip” - and even then, there is SO MUCH hair, and it grows so fast, and it's so curly, that you really have to stay up with the grooming. Poodles really don't shed, though. I thought before we got a poodle that ”doesn't shed” would really mean ”not much” - well, my wife and I shed way more than the dog.

You just need to plan for and budget for probably a monthly trip to the groomer.

Fourth is the issues poodles are heir to. For one thing, they're prone to ear infections - they have thickly furred ears that hang down. It's almost impossible to keep the insides of their ears dry and ventilated. They are also prone to ”entropion” which is a condition where the eyelids are too turned-in and the margin of the eyelid touches the eyeball, leading to a constant irritation of the eye, with consequent weeping, formation of sludge at the corners of the eyes, discharges, etc. There are strains of epilepsy in some families of poodles. They're also prone to allergies which generally manifest as irritated skin and constant scratching.

So, they're great dogs, really no behavioral issues if treated like the intelligent active dogs they are, but there are some physical things to be aware of.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:18 PM

23,434 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Quote:
A poodle is not a designer breed dog. A poodle is a pure bred, whose ancestors were bred for hunting.
A designer breed refers to the latest fad of mixing two pure bred dogs like a Labrador and poodle, and hoping the outcome will be a combination of the best qualities from both breeds. Sometimes you end up with the worst qualities of both breeds like an unhealthy dog and huge vet bills.
Well, a poodle (just like all other breeds) were "designer" dogs at some point. It just happened to be a very long time ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs