Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 04:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 8,024,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
From what I've read about it, people often mistakenly think a poodle's coat is easier care because it doesn't seem to shed. It does. Because the coat is curly, shed hair tangles in the curls instead of dropping off the dog and being left everywhere else in the house. Voila...mats.
Or (if the owner knows how to encourage their formation) dreadlocks. Behold the corded poodle: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-p...round-55445356

https://nationalpurebreddogday.com/t...le-not-so-new/

You still see this corded coat on some breeds (the Komondor and the Puli), but it's gone out of fashion on poodles - but they still have the hair for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 04:55 PM

22,616 posts, read 19,322,876 times
Standard poodles are also known as hunting dogs

"From the Middle Ages, Europeans have always considered the standard poodle a hunting dog. Europeans categorized it as a spaniel, however it is also classified it a retriever. The United Kennel Club (UKC) has always considered the poodle a sporting breed. Since UKC initiated their retriever hunt tests in 1984, several standard poodles have earned the highest titles awarded. Similarly, the North American Hunting Retriever Association (NAHRA) has always considered the poodle a retriever breed and allows them to participate in their retriever field tests. Clearly, the standard poodle has excellent credentials as a working retriever. Hunters all over the country use them successfully in hunting, and run them just as effectively in various retriever hunt tests."

Old 05-10-2024, 08:45 PM

19,877 posts, read 22,782,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
A poodle is not a designer breed dog. A poodle is a pure bred, whose ancestors were bred for hunting.
A designer breed refers to the latest fad of mixing two pure bred dogs like a Labrador and poodle, and hoping the outcome will be a combination of the best qualities from both breeds. Sometimes you end up with the worst qualities of both breeds like an unhealthy dog and huge vet bills.
A standard poodle is a hell of a water retrieving dog. We had a toy poodle growing up and she loved the water. The colder the better, rivers/streams no matter.

And she would tag me and my sisters if we came close to our mom. She was a *****.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:11 AM

17,375 posts, read 11,346,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
A standard poodle is a hell of a water retrieving dog. We had a toy poodle growing up and she loved the water. The colder the better, rivers/streams no matter.

And she would tag me and my sisters if we came close to our mom. She was a *****.
Also as someone else mentioned too, they are amazingly smart. I think they are rated as somewhere in the top 3 or 5 of all breeds in intelligence. My aunt had a med size poodle when I was a kid. This dog was like a little person. He understood an amazing amount of words. She would talk to him and he knew exactly what she was saying to him, not just quick commands. He was also always happy and friendly. He would never have hurt a fly.

Old 05-11-2024, 02:19 PM

23,434 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

Yep! I also knew a so-called "miniature" poodle (on the larger end of that spectrum) who was a hunting fiend. Rain, cold, sleet, mud, long days didn't phase her at all. Gutsy and bold as brass. Crippled game didn't get away from her very often.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:10 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,993 times
Quote:
Yep! I also knew a so-called "miniature" poodle (on the larger end of that spectrum) who was a hunting fiend. Rain, cold, sleet, mud, long days didn't phase her at all. Gutsy and bold as brass. Crippled game didn't get away from her very often.
We had one that like that. Would run rings around any other gun dog. Wasn't even allowed to compete in retrieving trials (not that he was going to) because the local kennel club doesn't recognise them as gun dogs.

Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Poodles are allowed to be 3 sizes according to standards. The "miniature" is actually the middle size. The toy size is the smallest.
I just wanted to clarify because some people may not realize this and think miniature is a purse dog. It's not.
https://poodleclubofamerica.org/sizes-of-poodles/

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

4,614 posts, read 2,753,519 times
Quote:
Poodles are allowed to be 3 sizes according to standards. The "miniature" is actually the middle size. The toy size is the smallest.
I just wanted to clarify because some people may not realize this and think miniature is a purse dog. It's not.
There is, however, a big gap in size between "miniature" and "standard". There are large miniatures and small standards.

Genetically, the original poodle is the standard and miniatures were bred down with additions of other small curly-haired dogs such as bichon frise, and the toys were bred further down with additional additions from other small breeds. I don't know to what extent (and probably no one knows) the observable differences in temperament of standard miniature and toy poodles are due to the admixtures of other and to what extent they're just due to breeding for smaller size. In general, standards are the most laid back and the poodle hyperness increases as you go to the miniatures and then more as you go to toys. Toys are more likely to have individual personality issues and standards the least likely.

That said, a standard poodle is not a laid back dog in the way a Great Dane is, for example, but it's not a "search and destroy unless constantly kept at work" breed like a border collie etiher. The poodle energy tends to go into play and sociability rather than chewing holes in the drywall - but don't think you can just leave a poodle alone with no interaction or activity for long weeks at a time, either. But really, that's true of any dog. If you want a pet that you don't need to frequently interact with, get a cat.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
There is, however, a big gap in size between "miniature" and "standard". There are large miniatures and small standards.

Genetically, the original poodle is the standard and miniatures were bred down with additions of other small curly-haired dogs such as bichon frise, and the toys were bred further down with additional additions from other small breeds. I don't know to what extent (and probably no one knows) the observable differences in temperament of standard miniature and toy poodles are due to the admixtures of other and to what extent they're just due to breeding for smaller size. In general, standards are the most laid back and the poodle hyperness increases as you go to the miniatures and then more as you go to toys. Toys are more likely to have individual personality issues and standards the least likely.

That said, a standard poodle is not a laid back dog in the way a Great Dane is, for example, but it's not a "search and destroy unless constantly kept at work" breed like a border collie etiher. The poodle energy tends to go into play and sociability rather than chewing holes in the drywall - but don't think you can just leave a poodle alone with no interaction or activity for long weeks at a time, either. But really, that's true of any dog. If you want a pet that you don't need to frequently interact with, get a cat.
You obviously don't know my cat Perhaps a gold fish would be a better example.

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

23,434 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Quote:
I realize that now. At the time I didn't know just how to categorize her; a small standard or big miniature. Her personality sure wasn't miniature!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs