Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 04:41 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

My 12 year old sweet girl that we adopted 8 years ago hasn't eaten in 4 days. she has been in kidney failure for a few months and we don't want her to suffer. she has been through numerous health issues since we adopted her at 4 years old from the shelter, but tomorrow is the end. her kidneys are failing and she won't eat.

the vet says it is time and we know it is time. It is so hard to let her go. she will be our last dog as we are getting too old to commit to the lifetime of a dog. we are in our 60s and don't want our dog to be left at the shelter if we die before her. we have adopted several senior dogs who were left at the shelter by families who didn't want their parents' dog.

i can't imagine our home without a dog. i've never been without one of these wonderful creatures in my home for my entire life of over 60 years with the exception of two weeks.

When it is time, it is time to release them without pain and suffering. My final gift of love to this beloved companion is to let her go, but my heart is breaking.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-21-2024 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 04:50 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I am so sorry for your loss. I've always felt after the fact that I held on to some of my dogs too long.
My plan for dogs in my old age (I am 60 y/o currently) is twofold. I am in contact with a rescue and if I pass before my dogs the rescue will find them a good home (in consideration of donations made in the past plus a sizeable donation from my estate after I'm gone). My current dogs are 4 and 2, hopefully, I'll make it long enough to outlive them. If I do I plan on adopting an older dog from the shelter.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:57 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
texan2yankee, I am so sorry for your upcoming loss. It is heartbreaking. It just is. You are giving her the last gift that you can give her, but it's so hard to be the human now. You have my sincere sympathy.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:05 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I am so sorry, and I have been there and know the pain. Doing what is necessary and compassionate doesn't always feel good.

Maybe after a while you could foster, or volunteer. I know the emptiness of not having a dog, and am currently looking (one 3 years ago, and one 4 years ago - so that was tough as we had to make the decision to end their suffering), even in my late 60s, I think I have enough time for one more older adult in my life.

My deepest sympathy.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:17 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I am sorry you are losing your sweet baby. I’m 70 soon and when my two dogs die I intend to go to the shelter and bring home the oldest small dog they have. I will rinse and repeat until I am gone. So many animals get put to sleep for lack of homes.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:21 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I am sorry you are losing your sweet baby. I’m 70 soon and when my two dogs die I intend to go to the shelter and bring home the oldest small dog they have. I will rinse and repeat until I am gone. So many animals get put to sleep for lack of homes.
This is exactly my plan. We live in a retirement community. Lots of old folks here and a good many dogs. Most in our immediate neighborhood are medium size with a few larger.

Old 03-22-2024, 12:03 PM

631 posts, read 398,554 times
I am so sorry to hear your news. It's one of the hardest decisions you will ever make, but know that you gave her the best life she could ever have and she will feel no pain at the end.

My heart goes out to you.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:35 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My 12 year old sweet girl that we adopted 8 years ago hasn't eaten in 4 days. she has been in kidney failure for a few months and we don't want her to suffer. she has been through numerous health issues since we adopted her at 4 years old from the shelter, but tomorrow is the end. her kidneys are failing and she won't eat.

the vet says it is time and we know it is time. It is so hard to let her go. she will be our last dog as we are getting too old to commit to the lifetime of a dog. we are in our 60s and don't want our dog to be left at the shelter if we die before her. we have adopted several senior dogs who were left at the shelter by families who didn't want their parents' dog.

i can't imagine our home without a dog. i've never been without one of these wonderful creatures in my home for my entire life of over 60 years with the exception of two weeks.

When it is time, it is time to release them without pain and suffering. My final gift of love to this beloved companion is to let her go, but my heart is breaking.
My reasons for not getting a dog after my last dog we had to put down was not my age but that we were traveling and dogs do not like kennels. If you really want a dog there are a lot of elderly dogs that need homes either because their owners died or their owners as AH's and want a younger dog. Yes, your heart will break many many times but imagine the love you will bring a dog who needs a good home.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:37 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
And the nice thing is they are old and not puppies. They are content to just lie near you.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Sad to hear of your upcoming loss. Like Teacher Terry, after age 65 my parents only had rescue senior dogs that most people wouldn't take. They never lasted more than 3-4 years, but had a much better late life than in a shelter or being euthanized. It worked out well when their last dog passed before my father got very ill and passed away, so no more pet to worry about when my Mom went into assisted living at age 88.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs