Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 11:30 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
she is gone. her death was quiet and peaceful. she left with both of us there by her side while speaking softly to her. it was so hard to let her go yesterday, and even though i'm very sad and missing her so much today, i know we did the right thing for our little girl.

thank you all for your comments and kindness.
I’m sorry man. It’s always tough. These threads always remind me of our long gone rascals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 02:16 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
There are no words we can offer to ease your pain. We all know this pain, it's the price we all pay for being so invested in our pets. I will simply say I'm so sorry.

I am 65 and currently have a 1 1/2 year old dog. I did the math and decided I will be too old to handle a puppy when she is gone. But like you I can't imagine life in retirement without a dog, she is my primary source of entertainment. So I will find a rescue or a senior dog to adopt. I will most definitely have a plan in place for her when we are failing. But if we can not find a family member or friend as mentioned there are many rescues that will find a good home. Like me when I adopt a rescue there are many people who will be looking for one from this situation, those dogs are easier to handle as one from an abusive situation can (stress CAN) come with issues. And at 75 won't be able to handle that very well.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM

11,770 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
she is gone. her death was quiet and peaceful. she left with both of us there by her side while speaking softly to her. it was so hard to let her go yesterday, and even though i'm very sad and missing her so much today, i know we did the right thing for our little girl.

thank you all for your comments and kindness.
I just want to give you a hug - I'm crying now just knowing what you are going through.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I just want to give you a hug - I'm crying now just knowing what you are going through.

Same here.

I'm thinking of every single one of mine. Take care of yourself. (hug)

Old 03-24-2024, 08:03 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
Many years ago we had to put down our 13 year old white lab because of his health issues - diabetes, arthritis and he was almost blind. I had to carry him down the steps from our deck to the backyard.

Putting him down was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

It was several years before we got another lab. This one turned out to be my dog. Unfortunately, around two years old something terrible happened. At that time we lived in the boonies on 1 & 1/2 acres. We always let him roam loose around the property because it was so isolated. My gravel driveway was roughly 300 feet long. One day we were out by the house and he saw a fox across the street, so he went charging after it. Unfortunately, as he crossed the road he was hit by a car and killed instantly. I'll never forget the sound it made when he was hit.

After that I really didn't want another dog. However, my wife needed a service dog, so reluctantly we got the puppy 2 years ago. He's definitely my wife's dog. In the pecking order sometimes I'm #2, and sometimes I'm #4 after my daughter and grandson.

I'm pretty sure this will be our last dog.

Old 03-24-2024, 04:46 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
I'm 78 and we got an 8-week-old pup in 2022. He is the most popular dog in our closest neighborhood. Come Christmas the "fan club" brings gifts and they aren't for me.

If I pass first, which is more than likely, there is a waiting list of future owners. They put it in a nice way: "If you ever decide you can't take care of little Randy, we'd be happy to adopt him."

Randy is a 23 lbs golden poodle mix. When we walk the neighbors drop the leaf blower and come to pet him.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:03 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I'm 78 and we got an 8-week-old pup in 2022. He is the most popular dog in our closest neighborhood. Come Christmas the "fan club" brings gifts and they aren't for me.

If I pass first, which is more than likely, there is a waiting list of future owners. They put it in a nice way: "If you ever decide you can't take care of little Randy, we'd be happy to adopt him."

Randy is a 23 lbs golden poodle mix. When we walk the neighbors drop the leaf blower and come to pet him.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:15 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. We all know what you're going through. Only you can decide what's best for you going forward and I hope you aren't offended by what I'm going to say next. You're only in your sixties. My husband and I are in our sixties also and we will continue to have dogs until we are no longer able to care for them on our own.

We got a puppy a few years ago and that was a bit of an over reach for us because of her energy. We've always had older or special needs dogs so it was a new experience having a young healthy dog but we don't regret it. Maybe when you've had some time you might consider having a senior dog in your home or possibly fostering. It's obvious from your posts how important the love of a dog is to you and maybe you don't have to give up that wonderful part of life.

Just something to think about. No other dog will ever replace your little one but there is always another dog who would greatly benefit from having a loving person such as yourself, in their life.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:32 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
"'Tis a fearful thing to love what death can touch."

OP, I know what you're feeling and I'm heartbroken for you. It's the worst feeling in the world to lose a beloved companion and so hard to let go and keep going without them. But you will remember the joy she brought to your life and that will lift you up when you least expect it. Through your memories, she will always be with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs