Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 02:22 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sad to hear of your upcoming loss. Like Teacher Terry, after age 65 my parents only had rescue senior dogs that most people wouldn't take. They never lasted more than 3-4 years, but had a much better late life than in a shelter or being euthanized. It worked out well when their last dog passed before my father got very ill and passed away, so no more pet to worry about when my Mom went into assisted living at age 88.
This is exactly what I'm doing now!

I fostered a senior dog so ill, we didn't know if she would make it. She had a bleeding cancerous growth on her belly and two cancerous growths on her paws making her lame. She also wasn't potty trained. In other words, I took a dog that no one else wanted or could handle. After a couple of operations she is cancer free and almost potty trained.

She is fearful of the shelter and all other dogs, it was a real relief for the shelter when we adopted her.

When my last dog, Daisy died in November 2023, I swore Daisy was the last dog! Now I know Daisy was only the last puppy!

I never wished I hadn't euthanized my pets. I've only wish I had done it sooner to spare them pain.

texan2yankee - I'm sorry! It's an awful time! We never forget our beloved pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 02:39 PM

7,483 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My 12 year old sweet girl that we adopted 8 years ago hasn't eaten in 4 days. she has been in kidney failure for a few months and we don't want her to suffer. she has been through numerous health issues since we adopted her at 4 years old from the shelter, but tomorrow is the end. her kidneys are failing and she won't eat.

the vet says it is time and we know it is time. It is so hard to let her go. she will be our last dog as we are getting too old to commit to the lifetime of a dog. we are in our 60s and don't want our dog to be left at the shelter if we die before her. we have adopted several senior dogs who were left at the shelter by families who didn't want their parents' dog.

i can't imagine our home without a dog. i've never been without one of these wonderful creatures in my home for my entire life of over 60 years with the exception of two weeks.

When it is time, it is time to release them without pain and suffering. My final gift of love to this beloved companion is to let her go, but my heart is breaking.

I feel exactly the same as you do with my kitty. The timing is nearing. I am too old to commit to bring another animal to their full life and do not want to abandon one. It is heart wrenching. But, we must do the right thing by them.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:31 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I have been adopting older dogs for the past 20 years. At one time I had 4 and it was sad when they started dying. Then I was given a puppy and his 5 year old half sister. It was a relief to have younger dogs after so much death.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:20 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
In my lifetime I have sent two dogs to the Rainbow Bridge. My first was a Saint Bernard who lived to be 13. The second was a Chocolate Lab who lived to be 15. My current companion is a 9 year old Pit Bull and I am 77. It's probably a toss-up as to which one of us goes first. If it's me, I have the aforementioned arrangement with the humane society to rehome him. If he goes first I won't have another.

BTW if you aren't familiar with the Rainbow Bridge, here it is.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Old 03-22-2024, 09:02 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times
I hope to always have a dog. My daughter knows that she inherits the dog we own when we go.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:58 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I hope to always have a dog. My daughter knows that she inherits the dog we own when we go.
We’re the same. Some how the dogs will stay in the family. When our two older dogs go- we stay at two. But as long as I can walk and field a shotgun, I will always have a bird dog.

Old 03-22-2024, 11:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
I am so, so sorry for your loss. I have had to do this so many times, or just have them die in my arms.

My first dog was when I was 20, self-supporting & a college student. I had no pets as a child & that sweet girl got me through so many things in life.

I've had dogs ever since & I can't imagine life without them. One of mine is turned 10, a breed that doesn't have a long life-span, so every day is a gift.

Maybe we will do what others have said here, adopt a senior dog in the future. I don't know if spouse can handle that.

Again, I am so sorry.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:56 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
My prayers go out to you.... over the years we've had all rescues and each and every time we have to put one to sleep - I swear no more. We had to put my terrier down in May and it still haunts me. I keep saying after our 13 yr old pit goes - no more. As much as I'd love to foster or adopt older dogs - I'm anxious if they're limping, sick, even shaking their heads as we've had some with extreme medical issues. I'm actually more connected to my animals than I was my kids. I'm also of the mindset that I don't want my animals to go into a shelter should something happen to me as neither of my boys have a job where they could keep and care for animals.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:01 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
she is gone. her death was quiet and peaceful. she left with both of us there by her side while speaking softly to her. it was so hard to let her go yesterday, and even though i'm very sad and missing her so much today, i know we did the right thing for our little girl.

thank you all for your comments and kindness.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:28 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
It’s the last gift we give our sweet babies. Sending hugs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs