Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2024, 02:23 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had experience treating their dog when it had a mast cell tumor?

Our dog has recently been diagnosed with one about the size of a nickel around, but it had puffed up a bit and finally broke open. It's on the side of her body. The vet took a biopsy and said it needs to be removed.

Dog is 12 years old and otherwise healthy and happy. She recently had dental surgery and did fine.

I was so shocked when the vet called that i didn't think to ask much. I did Google a bit and it sounds pretty serious. Just wondered if anyone had any info to add. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 02:29 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Has anyone had experience treating their dog when it had a mast cell tumor?

Our dog has recently been diagnosed with one about the size of a nickel around, but it had puffed up a bit and finally broke open. It's on the side of her body. The vet took a biopsy and said it needs to be removed.

Dog is 12 years old and otherwise healthy and happy. She recently had dental surgery and did fine.

I was so shocked when the vet called that i didn't think to ask much. I did Google a bit and it sounds pretty serious. Just wondered if anyone had any info to add. Thanks.
Both of our older GSP's have had mast cell tumors. They were all surgically removed. My female (12yo) has another one forming on the top of her skull. We'll have that one biopsied and if it's a stage I slow growth tumor, we may opt to leave it alone. She's approaching advanced age for that breed.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Both of our older GSP's have had mast cell tumors. They were all surgically removed. My female (12yo) has another one forming on the top of her skull. We'll have that one biopsied and if it's a stage I slow growth tumor, we may opt to leave it alone. She's approaching advanced age for that breed.
Thank You. Yeah our's is a 12-year old pit mix rescue. After this one we may not get others removed. We contacted the rescue we got her from and spoke to the director who is also a vet. She gives us good advice. (We've only had the dog 3 years.) She said you could end up just removing them on and on.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:46 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
One of my dogs had a mast cell tumor surgically removed from her side at about age 5. The vet explained that the outcomes can be difficult to predict. As others wrote, they are staged and their degree of aggression analyzed like other cancers. Some recur locally, some spread internally, others don't. Hers didn't. She lived to age 13. Cause of death was not cancer.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-19-2024 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-19-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
One of my dogs had a mast cell tumor surgically removed from her side at about age 5. The vet explained that the outcomes can be difficult to predict. As others wrote, they are staged and their degree of aggression analyzed like other cancers. Some recur locally, some spread internally, others don't. Hers didn't. She lived to age 13. Cause of death was not cancer.
Thank You. What do they do - tell you the Stage of it after they remove it?

Old 03-19-2024, 04:24 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
They can be biopsied prior to surgery.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:42 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Seem to recall they biopsied her "lump" first which identified it as a mast cell cancer, fairly aggressive (more displastic cells present). Then they removed the whole lump/margins. Healing was uneventful.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:23 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
One of the breeders of my golden had to deal with mast cell cancer. This was about 6 or 7 years ago. Her golden was 9. I can’t remember if she opted for surgery on one of the lumps, or what stage it was.

However, I do remember that she gave her prednisone, I believe daily, to help with the swelling of the lumps, since mast cells seem to get rather angry and cause itching and major irritation. Her golden lived for nearly 3 years, just taking pred, and in the end, I seem to recall another type of cancer killed her—I just know it wasn’t the mast cell.

Her golden tolerated the pred real well; only side effects were weight gain and thirst, but she managed to live a nice long life for a golden.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:18 PM

Thanks all. I talked to the vet today - she had only taken a scraping of the bump, then saw strange cells and sent it to pathology. They said it looks like a High-Grade tumor but will check again after removal. Removal is April 2 as i couldnt do it next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs