Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 PM

64 posts, read 314,524 times

Advertisements

Last week I had a small bump that looked like a bug bite cut off my Pugs leg & had it sent out for biopsy. I found out last night that it was a malignant Mast Cell Tumor. I think we got it all, but I had more test run today. I will know if it has spread later today or tommorow. He seems ok & Im hoping for the best. Does anybody have experience with this type of canine cancer? I hear it is more common in Pugs & Boxers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,920,903 times
The only experience I've had was with a rescue dog, and the outcome was positive. I know the tumors sometimes return, and some are more aggressive than others, but it seems as if you caught it early, so hopefully the excision had good margins and the tumor was localized.

I wish you well, and will be thinking of you. Please let us know the test results. We care.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM

Thank you for your kind words. Im so sick to my stomach waiting for the results. It great that there are other people out there that love their dogs as much as me.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,494,248 times
I can so relate what you are going thru. My older Golden had one removed from the top of her head/ear about 3 weeks ago. They too, biopsied it and was cancerous. Unfortunately, she has had 3 others removed over the last 2 years. In many cases...that would be the end of it and the outcome is good. It is when they keep re-ocurring or pop up in another part of the body that scares me. She had one removed from her side last yr. and they are almost certain it has returned. You have to understand tho...she is 12 yrs old.
Good luck with the results on your little one and keep us posted.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:21 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,639,828 times
Aw, good luck with him. I never experienced that w/my peis, but they do get skin tags which need removal, at times.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:32 PM

I can so relate what you are going thru. My older Golden had one removed from the top of her head/ear about 3 weeks ago. They too, biopsied it and was cancerous. Unfortunately, she has had 3 others removed over the last 2 years. In many cases...that would be the end of it and the outcome is good. It is when they keep re-ocurring or pop up in another part of the body that scares me. She had one removed from her side last yr. and they are almost certain it has returned. You have to understand tho...she is 12 yrs old.
Good luck with the results on your little one and keep us posted.[/quote]

Did your Golden have any chemo? I was told I have the option of Benadryl & Tagamet or I can do a round of Chemo. I just dont want my dog to feel sick or weak. My vet said she is optimistic, but that doesnt help my upset stomach & HUGE dent in the wallet. I guess I just sit & wait. How is your Golden???

Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,988,898 times
Pugs and all other breeds (brachycephalic especially) with bulldog in them are prone to MCTs.

It's not whether it's spread that you're going to find out from the path report- it's the stage and the grade. The stage will tell you if it's local or has gone beyond the primary tumor. If they told you they got it all, that means the pathologist looked at the margins of the tissue and they were clean. But that doesn't tell you if it's spread. Only time will tell that. What they will be able to tell you is whether it's gone beyond the lamina propria, the lowest, lining level of the tissue surrounding the tumor. And they'll also be able to tell you the grade - which is really how abnormal the cells look. They can be anything from a little abnormal to very bizarre looking. It varies with each tumor.

There is effective chemo which can be brought in, especially if they weren't sure that they got everything and the tumor was in a place with very little loose skin (making it difficult to take wide margins around the tumor).

Best of luck. And ALWAYS check your pug for bumps!!!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 PM

378 posts, read 1,655,714 times
Good luck. Keep us informed.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,494,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgirl_13 View Post
Good luck with the results on your little one and keep us posted.
Did your Golden have any chemo? I was told I have the option of Benadryl & Tagamet or I can do a round of Chemo. I just dont want my dog to feel sick or weak. My vet said she is optimistic, but that doesnt help my upset stomach & HUGE dent in the wallet. I guess I just sit & wait. How is your Golden???[/quote]

Please know...this is purely MY opinion!
Her father...had lymphoma. The vet, who was a good friend of ours talked me into Chemo for him. I fought it and fought it...but in the end gave in...him pleading with me to "just give the dog a fighting chance". Chevy was 10 at that point. I gave in and we started Chemo. He was soooooooooooo sick. He'd have the chemo on Mon...be sick Tues, Wed, Thurs Fri and Sat. Start to feel better on Sun...and then it was time to go back for the Chemo again. I couldn't bare to watch him being so sick and I stopped the Chemo. They gave him 6 months to live. It was 3 yrs. before he let me know it was time to cross over the
Bridge. And believe me, it was one of the toughest things my husband and I had ever been thru. I would not put one of my dogs through that again! If it was a cure...YES...but for us, it was just suppose to give him a few more months. He was so miserable, in my mind...it was just not worth it. I thought I owed him more than that.
For now...Mia is doing wonderful. She bounced back from the surgery and has more energy than her son! With her...I will play it day to day, week to week....etc.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,988,898 times
Lymphoma is a very different kind of malignancy and I think any comparison with the course of MCT isn't a very apt one. MCTs are essentially solid tumors, and lymphomas are classically not considered solid tumors. That, in and of itself is a big difference, not to mention that the chemos used are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs