Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times

Advertisements

My dog had a mast cell tumor removed last week. It is Stage 2 cancer. The lump was removed "with narrow margins." We meet with the vet oncologist in a few days. Has anyone had a dog with this type of cancer? Did you go the chemo route? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,979 times
My heart goes out to you and your pet. One of our GS dogs had hemangioscarcoma and chemo did not work. But your friend has a different type of cancer and I pray you will have better results.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:50 PM

Thank you for your kind thoughts, and I'm very sorry for your loss. Right now, my dachshund is running around like nothing is going on. She's almost 7 and several people just this past week have commented that they thought she was a puppy...she is so playful! I'll just wait for the vet oncologist's comments. I just don't want to make my little baby uncomfortable. Thanks again

Old 04-26-2009, 08:04 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Hemangiosarcoma is a VERY different tumor from mast cell tumors. I'm so sorry your dog didn't do well.

I have a friend in Australia whose pug, who was 13 at the time, had a MCT removed and had chemo. She died a couple of weeks short of her 17th birthday.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:11 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
Wishing you and your Doxie the very best. Fingers and paws crossed the outcome is a happy one!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
I can't imagine dogs do well with chemo. I would not put my dog through that.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
Dogs tend to handle chemo much better than people do.

Hopefully the veterinary oncologist will have some good options for your Doxie! Please keep us updated, I'm pulling for good news.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the well wishes. I really appreciate it. I've done some research on the internet and it seems that dogs handle chemo much better than people (and it's given at a lower dose). I'll definitely consider all pros and cons. Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
My dog had a mast cell tumor removed last week. It is Stage 2 cancer. The lump was removed "with narrow margins." We meet with the vet oncologist in a few days. Has anyone had a dog with this type of cancer? Did you go the chemo route? Thanks for any advice.
I'm sorry your pet is ill , some pet owners have success with chemo and mention their pets do better afterwards.

I've read about a cottage cheese and flax seed diet for cancer.

Here is the link to the diet and also a few other links that may help you

http://http://home.online.no/~dusan/diseases/cancer/cancer_dr_budwig.html (broken link)
Integrative Treatment of Canine Cancer
http://forums.delphiforums.com/petcancer

Last edited by rural lady; 04-28-2009 at 04:15 AM..

Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Sorry to hear about your dog. My mom had a dog with a mast cell tumot it was removed and that was that. I also know a dog that comes to the park that just had her second mast cell tumor removed and her owner is looking into further treatment now too.

You might want to ask the oncoligist if Metronomic therapy works for that kind of cancer. It is anti angiogentic meaning it stops tumors from forming new blood supplies. There are alot of different drugs that can be used for it. My Dash has nasal cancer and part of his treatment is metronomic theraphy and he gets piroxicam every day and low dose cytoxan every other day. Both pills I give at home and he has tolerated both very well. He has been on piroxicam since last May when he had palliative radiation and we added the cytoxan in Oct. Neither drug is expensive the cytoxan being the more expensive and it cost about $25.00/month which for chemo is cheap!

I also know of people using a holistic approach you can get alot of good info about it in the yahoo group called the blacksalve neoplasene cancer forum. There is a lady there that has been using the salve on her dogs mast cells tumors for quite awhile. She is very helpful to others. (I think you do have to join the group to get info but they are a very helpful group) Dash does get neoplasene down his nose and yes it has helped him . We get it from a holistic vet as his oncologist is open to working with her, Many are not and will brush off holistic treatment saying it is a waste. I think blending the two is why Dash is still with me. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Jan

Last edited by Dashdog; 04-28-2009 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs