Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 11:04 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I am seeing this more often used in the description of an adult dog. I am really not sure what it means, so asking for thoughts of others. Thank you.

My guess is that maybe it isn't all clingy, and is probably more on the stubborn side, which are two characteristics that really work for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 11:31 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I think it means they feel no *need* to come to you when you call. They might come... they might not. Depends.

I have a Livestock Guardian Dog (Pyrenees/Anatolian cross), a type of dog known to be "Independent".

Old 03-12-2024, 12:12 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Short version is that they really don't care a lot whether or not you are pleased.

An independent dog might be affectionate, but it is when he wants some attention, not when you want it.

Mostly seen in breeds that were developed to work on their own and not in cooperation with a human. They have been bred to work without human input. Although that is not universally true. There are breeds that were intended to work on their own that have discovered that they prefer a place by the fire and a lot of treats and cuddles. Still, the original purpose is a good place to start searching if you want an independent dog.

Also, some Asian cultures show affection differently and their breeds of dogs tend to not expect as much interaction or affection from humans.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:17 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
To me, independent means they are happy with or without a companion dog. Sometimes dogs really need another dog.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:34 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
To me, an independent dog is a cat. LOL

Old 03-12-2024, 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone! What was said about the "Asian" type breeds is interesting, as one dog I am considering is part Chow Chow, have owned a part chow chow, and my grandparents had a chow-spitz when I was a kid, and that is a different personality.

Livestock guardian? Oh, yeah, definitely know those as being independent! My son a couple of weeks ago signed dog, big dog! I went and looked out the window, and there was a Great Pyrenees outside of our house - IN TOWN! They come from quite a distance, and it is a surprise to see them. I called Animal Control to come track it down. We are close to I-70 (traffic), so the wandering can be dangerous, which is impacting my choice also, so independent in that sense would be a deal breaker.

The worst match we ever had was Norwegian Elkhound, who was an escape artist. She could get out of a 6 inch opening in the door, and would run and run and run. She wasn't sniffing or chasing anything, just running.

It may be best to avoid "independent", or at least ask them to "expand" on a particular dog as to what they meant. Most all of the dogs are labeled "high energy", so already avoiding that, doesn't leave much to choose from, although most of them are pit mix any way, and that carries with it too many limitations.

Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:56 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Honestly, if you're looking to adopt a dog, the best way to start is to take one of those quizzes that ask you to be completely honest about the kind of dog that will be happy with you.

Do you have a fenced yard or a high-rise apartment? Like a dog who snuggles or you're standoffish?

Then go in search of that type of dog.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:04 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Basenji= poster child for 'independence'.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:44 PM

900 posts, read 683,306 times
We had two Great Pyrenees, and they were both quite independent, but also loving--they had their own ideas about things, for sure. But they were wonderful to live with, except for the noctural barking, that was not great. Very affectionate, but they felt they had important things to do.
My cairn terrier was also independent.
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels seem like they would be the opposite.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Honestly, if you're looking to adopt a dog, the best way to start is to take one of those quizzes that ask you to be completely honest about the kind of dog that will be happy with you.

Do you have a fenced yard or a high-rise apartment? Like a dog who snuggles or you're standoffish?

Then go in search of that type of dog.
I have taken several of those online, and even have a book with the quiz. For someone younger, they really work better, as they did for me. I also am trying to work with a facility within an hour or hour and a half away, the selection is: pit, pit mix, husky, variety of tiny older dogs (I do not care for small dogs) and almost all are males. Demand here is really high for shelter dogs, and I am right in the center of puppy mill country, so I am cautious about that, as they tend to dump their "lesser" ones if no one wants them.

Currently, I am watching 3 dogs recently picked up by an animal control in a nearby city to see if they become available. All are mixes (herding dogs which I have had good luck with in the past) and female. A breeder is giving away a retired Fox Red lab, but I am hesitant on that one, but it is tempting. Older dog would be my preference.

We'll see. Thanks everyone.

***I guess I'm looking for the "magic"! With the last two I adopted, there was no "buyer's remorse", they were just it when I saw their photos and read the descriptions. Fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs