Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 12:21 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

Honey is a 3-year-old Corgi I had for 2 years. She has times Diareah. Times of Vomiting. Once in a while Both! I need suggestion for Dog Food for sensitive tummy.

Her Dog food now is Iams Puppy. Also Boil Chicken Porkchops & Hamburgers. All Lean. 1 ER vet said stop the Pig Parts! inc pig ears ALL forms. Same ER but different Vet said No blockage after X-rays... Reg vet that I used since 1980s RETIRED! Says she healthy. I should consider changing the Dog Food!! UGH

So here I am HELP!! IF not for me for Honey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 02:10 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
You need to determine whether or not it’s the food, or if it’s the treats. My golden retriever went through the same thing, and we eliminated all treats. The only dog treats he gets are his kibble, which he fortunately loves. So no pig ears for Honey. Just buy a variety of nylabones or sterilized bones. If she’s like my dog, she’ll be just as happy.

Also, I would eliminate the pork and the hamburger meat (no matter how lean). Chicken, I think, is fine. It is more easily digestible for dogs. I see that the main protein source for Iams puppy is chicken. There could be a possibility that your dog needs a different protein source because she can’t tolerate chicken, but you won’t know unless you eliminate the other protein sources (that is, the hamburger and pork)

What we discovered, through our vet and using process of elimination, is that my dog gets diarrhea from rice, so we give him a puppy food that has corn as the grain. Just like your dog, he would progress from diarrhea, to bloody and mucus covered stools, to vomiting to lethargy.

What worked for us was the rice-free kibble, no treats of any kind, lean chicken, a huge tablespoon of plain canned pumpkin at each meal (pumpkin helps firm up stools if your dog has diarrhea) and a probiotic tablet in the evening meal (we use Purina Fortiflora).

Also, if our dog vomits, at the next meal, we give one regular Pepcid tablet 30 minutes before the next meal to settle his stomach.

Some dogs have more digestive issues than others. You really have to be diligent about what you are feeding yours, and look at not only the food, but the treats. No use changing the food if it’s the treats that are too rich for her.

You need to work with your vet on a plan of action. Maybe your old vet could refer you to someone? ER vets are not going to give you continuous care—they’re great for emergencies but for long-term issues you need to work with a regular team.

Also, what I do for my dog, who’s a 72lbs golden, may not apply to a much smaller Corgi. Get a vet, and see what they recommend.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:22 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Buy a food designated for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Petsmart sells Authority brand salmon and sweet potato kibble for sensitive stomach.

Also consider giving a probiotic. I give Total-Biotics , available on Amazon.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:04 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Our dog is allergic to anything with chicken in it. In addition to the vomiting and diahrreah he gets hives.

Treats are hard. For example an ingredient in milk bones is "meat and bone meal". What kind of meat? Chicken? So they're off limits.

Like others have said you need to find out what the dog is sensitive to and get a diet that caters to that.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:44 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
My Maltese wouldn’t eat wet food for sensitive stomachs. Wet food is easier on the stomach than dry food. After trying numerous brands what finally worked is Wellness’s simple formula of oatmeal and lamb.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:32 AM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I feed my GSD Hill's Sensitive Skin and Stomach. I don't love the company but he does well on the kibble, so I feed it to him.

I recommend a bland diet of canned pumpkin, boiled chicken and rice. I would have her fast for 24 hours to give her body a rest, then start her on the bland diet, which you can feed her until you've figured out the source of the problem.

Have you taken her to the vet?

Old 11-03-2023, 08:37 AM

10 posts, read 3,773 times
We had severe stomach issues with our dog for quite some time, until we discovered it was Chicken. We eliminated chicken, but she;d still have issues once in a while with the various dog foods we tried, or, she wouldn't eat many of the brands.

BUT a new Vet suggested Pure Balance Salmon & Pea - VOILA!!! Not only does she love it, but she's had no stomach issues with it. Unfortunately, her poops are so good that she's leaving them all over the house :-( . That's with a diaper on. She is now 13 1/2 and seems to be having some dementia issues. Also has arthritis.
And another great thing about it - it is made for Walmart, and it is so much less expensive than other dog food. A bag of it that last 2-3 weeks costs about $7 at Walmart. Can order the same bag from Amazon for about $35! Yikes - what a difference. It's worth the hassle of a trip to Walmart every month to get a bag or 2.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:20 AM

1,400 posts, read 763,910 times
Just a thought ~ In the wild, dogs don't eat grain. They are created to eat meat. My German Shepherd suffered a lot of terrible problems because there were grains in his food. Eventually he died. You never want to think it's all about money but it is ~ generally speaking, the people who make dogfood, the veterinary industry, veterinary pharmaceuticals.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:53 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Honey is a 3-year-old Corgi I had for 2 years. She has times Diareah. Times of Vomiting. Once in a while Both! I need suggestion for Dog Food for sensitive tummy.

Her Dog food now is Iams Puppy. Also Boil Chicken Porkchops & Hamburgers. All Lean. 1 ER vet said stop the Pig Parts! inc pig ears ALL forms. Same ER but different Vet said No blockage after X-rays... Reg vet that I used since 1980s RETIRED! Says she healthy. I should consider changing the Dog Food!! UGH

So here I am HELP!! IF not for me for Honey
Is there a reason a 3 year old dog would still be fed puppy formula food? It's usually very high in fat and proteins.

Our almost 11 year old German shorthair was vomiting his food, basically undigested, and had the runs. He was eating Purina Proplan sport which is for very active dogs. 30/20 protein and fat. His kibble diet was supplemented with Kirkland wet and wild game offal. We switched him to Purina Proplan adult sensitive skin and stomach kibble and a little bit of I think Hills diet sensitive canned and eliminated the scraps and offal. He's been good for over a month now.

Last edited by Threerun; 11-03-2023 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-03-2023, 01:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Is there a reason a 3 year old dog would still be fed puppy formula food? It's usually very high in fat and proteins.

Our almost 11 year old German shorthair was vomiting his food, basically undigested, and had the runs. He was eating Purina Proplan sport which is for very active dogs. 30/20 protein and fat. His kibble diet was supplemented with Kirkland wet and wild game offal. We switched him to Purina Proplan adult sensitive skin and stomach kibble and a little bit of I think Hills diet sensitive canned and eliminated the scraps and offal. He's been good for over a month now.
For the Vitamins she missing when I feed her this: Chicken Porkchops & Hamburgers. 1 cup of puppy last her 3-4 days! Free feeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs