Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 10:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
wizrap

Check this out: PEANUT BUTTER FLAVORED DOG BISCUITS... @ Dollar Tree [$1.25 for 1# bag]
Ingredients List: Whole Wheat Flour, Wheat Middling, Rolled Oats, Vegetables Oil & Peanut Butter!!!
All of which are ingredients that carnivores do not need, and from which cannot derive any nutritional value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 10:32 AM

439 posts, read 959,650 times
Default Inflamed Large Intestine, IBD?

Came back from a Thanksgiving vacation and thought all was fine with dogs, pet sitter stated all's well. Two days later my Lab was very sick, major liquid diarrhea , rump licking etc. Thought maybe he had a blockage as he is a Lab/goat and eats anything which hits the floor. Vet stated after a through hands on body exam and looking at poo sample slime, most likely inflamed large intestine, not an obstruction, no impacted anal glands.

I realize a little stress from being away..and diet which I know we have been bad about allowing people food, too much protein like hamburger even boiled, table bites did him in.

So vet wants him on two antibotics, Cerenia for nausea which in itself is a challenge as he will not eat hardly anything. One antibotic can be crushed and hidden in food but the other is coated and very bitter. Interesting is all of these have side effects which can give diarrhea and vomiting...

I have two dogs...so feeding different food is gonna be a challenge unless they both have same diet. They already eat a special limited ingredient dry food by Nuvo, think it is all the extra items we allow them to have.

Would it be good to find a wet stomach sensitive food to start the lab off on until I can get him back on regular without all the extra bad adds? Plus I know changing diet also invites stomach upset...

Any info appreciated.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:30 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Since this is the dog allergy thread I thought I would post this here.

One of our dogs is very allergic to chicken and trying to find ANY dog food that doesn't have any is almost impossible. All the mainstream foods will ultimately have an ingredient like "meat" or "fat" that doesn't specify where it came from.

I got hopeful that "Purina® Pro Plan® brand Dog Food – Specialized - Sensitive Skin & Stomach – Salmon & Rice Formula – Dog Food" would be the one, since it doesn't have any vague ingredients except one: "Natural flavors".

So I contacted them, and this was their response:

"Upon checking the ingredients of our Purina® Pro Plan® brand Dog Food – Specialized - Sensitive Skin & Stomach – Salmon & Rice Formula – Dog Food, there is no chicken product added as an ingredient to this formula."

So I asked a follow-up question about the "natural flavors" and got this:

"Please know that we only recommend one product which is the Purina® Pro Plan® brand Dog Food – Specialized - Sensitive Skin & Stomach – Salmon & Rice Formula – Dog Food. Also, please be informed that this product has a natural flavor that is an animal digest, which is created from protein sources such as the muscle and soft tissue of pork and poultry. Also, it would be best if you will work with your veterinarian for a better product recommendation."

Further time on the internet revealed that "animal digest" refers to a natural flavoring ingredient used in pet food. It is created through a process called hydrolysis, which involves breaking down animal proteins, such as those derived from muscle and soft tissue of pork and poultry, into smaller molecules. This process enhances the palatability of pet food, making it more appealing to dogs.

Okay, then WTH is hydrolysis?

In the context of pet food, hydrolysis is used to break down animal proteins into smaller molecules. This makes the proteins more digestible for dogs and can help to reduce the risk of allergic reactions. Hydrolyzed proteins are also more palatable to dogs, so they can help to improve the overall appeal of pet food.

So on one hand, the food my contain chicken protein. On the other hand, it may have been Frankenmodified into a form that he isn't allergic to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs