Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 06:14 AM

11 posts, read 11,705 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
I have two 4 year old daughters, one of which is of average height in the other is a little smaller for their age due to a disability.

Which dog breed should we get? Me and my husband aren’t really wanting to get a tiny sized dog breed, we are more sort of in the realm of thinking about an English mastiff or great Dane. would this at all be possible?

How are English mastiff around kids? Ideally we would want the kids able to play with, interact, and walk the dog on a leash without any issues,(of course we would be right there with the kids, but we want them to be able to hold the leash) and for to be able to take control or stand up for herself if needed so to speak

Are English mastiff gentle around the kiddos?
Is it true that these dogs knock kids over simply with a little wag of their tail or gentle paw saying hello? If so, why?
And in terms of strength and weight, how are they compared to my daughters?

Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited by TheFaith2; 09-23-2023 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Making corrections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 07:04 AM

136 posts, read 98,164 times
I would post this in the dog forum, I think you would get some really good replies there. Maybe a mod can move it?

Old 09-23-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
I would post this in the dog forum, I think you would get some really good replies there. Maybe a mod can move it?
I realized that after I already posted, so how do I move it over there?

Old 09-23-2023, 07:06 AM

939 posts, read 390,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFaith2 View Post
Hello everyone.
I have two 4 year old daughters, one of which is of average height in the other is a little smaller for their age due to a disability.

Which dog breed should we get? Me and my husband aren’t really wanting to get a tiny sized dog breed, (I have always had it a dream of owning an English mastiff as a family dog when the time came) Considering Clara‘s height/weight though, would this at all be possible?

How are English mastiff around kids? Ideally we would want the kids able to play with, interact, and walk the dog on a leash without any issues, and for to be able to take control or stand up for herself if needed so to speak

Are English mastiff gentle around the kiddos?
Is it true that these dogs knock kids over simply with a little wag of their tail or gentle paw saying hello? If so, why?
And in terms of strength and weight, how are they compared to my daughters?

Do you have any suggestions?
Our first LARGE breed dog was a male English Mastiff and he was a handful as a playful puppy! And he had no idea of his size and strength. Even when he played, he was like a bull in a china shop. We did not have him trained by a professional and he didn't like small kids or strangers. On the other hand, he was a protector of his family........and mostly of my wife. He ALWAYS positioned himself in front of my wife or between her and what he perceived as a threat. He'd just sit there with his head on swivel and if anyone started to approach he was up on all fours ready to protect.

Because of his attitude, we kept him on a very short leash and NEVER put him in a position that he truly needed to protect. And we never allowed small children near him. Had we done the proper training with him he may have been different around others and children, but not really sure.

When Jake was full grown, he weighed 195# and was very lean. All muscle and very powerful. That little wag of the tail will clear everything off the coffee table and knock things over. That gentle paw can be quite heavy. And then there's the leaning.....they like to lean into you and if you're not expecting it, can knock you over. They can also be quite stubborn when they want to be.

On the other hand I've seen English Mastiffs that are very gentle with kids and other people. Saw one at Petsmart with Santa posing for Holiday photos with small children. I believe it all comes down to the individual dogs temperament and training, along with going to a reputable breeder who knows what they're doing. Our Jake, came from a backyard breeder and he had his issues, BUT........... he was the greatest dog we've ever had. The bond he had with us was unbreakable and even after 5 years, my wife still cries when she thinks of him. He's missed every day.

We also adopted a female St.Bernard when Jake was about 6 and they got along very well because she was submissive to him. And she loved everyone, especially little kids. Very gentle and not a mean bone in her body. She was on the small side at 105#. About a year after Jake passed we rescued a female Bull Mastiff (145#) that was a breeder dog and dumped out on the streets when she was "used" up. She's the sweetest and gentle as can be. We lost our Saint a little over a year ago, and now Lucy (Bull Mastiff) is coming close to an end. We're retired and want to do some travelling........so most likely won't get another dog for the for-seeable future. But, if and when we do..... it most likely will be an English Mastiff!

Do your homework on large breed dogs and be prepared for their size and strength. Also be prepared for their relatively short life span and having your heart broken. 8-10 years is pretty typical.

Old 09-23-2023, 07:36 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
OP - have you owned big dogs in the past?

Old 09-23-2023, 07:50 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
OP - have you owned big dogs in the past?

More importantly, have you owned Working dogs in the past? Both Danes and Mastiffs fall in this category, and, as mentioned previously, will have a huge guarding instint. I would only reccomend dogs in the Working group to very experienced dog owners. Personally, I would start you search in the Sporting group. If you are dead set on a Working dog, look at the Leonberger..one of the few known for their sweetness.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
Our first LARGE breed dog was a male English Mastiff and he was a handful as a playful puppy! And he had no idea of his size and strength. Even when he played, he was like a bull in a china shop. We did not have him trained by a professional and he didn't like small kids or strangers. On the other hand, he was a protector of his family........and mostly of my wife. He ALWAYS positioned himself in front of my wife or between her and what he perceived as a threat. He'd just sit there with his head on swivel and if anyone started to approach he was up on all fours ready to protect.

Because of his attitude, we kept him on a very short leash and NEVER put him in a position that he truly needed to protect. And we never allowed small children near him. Had we done the proper training with him he may have been different around others and children, but not really sure.

When Jake was full grown, he weighed 195# and was very lean. All muscle and very powerful. That little wag of the tail will clear everything off the coffee table and knock things over. That gentle paw can be quite heavy. And then there's the leaning.....they like to lean into you and if you're not expecting it, can knock you over. They can also be quite stubborn when they want to be.

On the other hand I've seen English Mastiffs that are very gentle with kids and other people. Saw one at Petsmart with Santa posing for Holiday photos with small children. I believe it all comes down to the individual dogs temperament and training, along with going to a reputable breeder who knows what they're doing. Our Jake, came from a backyard breeder and he had his issues, BUT........... he was the greatest dog we've ever had. The bond he had with us was unbreakable and even after 5 years, my wife still cries when she thinks of him. He's missed every day.

We also adopted a female St.Bernard when Jake was about 6 and they got along very well because she was submissive to him. And she loved everyone, especially little kids. Very gentle and not a mean bone in her body. She was on the small side at 105#. About a year after Jake passed we rescued a female Bull Mastiff (145#) that was a breeder dog and dumped out on the streets when she was "used" up. She's the sweetest and gentle as can be. We lost our Saint a little over a year ago, and now Lucy (Bull Mastiff) is coming close to an end. We're retired and want to do some travelling........so most likely won't get another dog for the for-seeable future. But, if and when we do..... it most likely will be an English Mastiff!

Do your homework on large breed dogs and be prepared for their size and strength. Also be prepared for their relatively short life span and having your heart broken. 8-10 years is pretty typical.

So you’re saying it probably wouldn’t be a good idea? I’m only asking because people do you have these breeds with very small kids. And they say that they were very gentle and perfect for kiddos.

I had a Rottweiler growing up but we didn’t get it until I was in my teens just because that’s whenever we move into a home, we were living in a apartment before. What do dogs tail or gentle paw saying hello knock my toddlers over? Do you think this would be a huge deal or the dog would learn to be gentle and not bumped them over or not into them? How would the weight and strength and height of the dog compared to my daughters?

Old 09-23-2023, 12:24 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
I would go to the shelter and find a nice labrador retriever or Lab mix. In my experience, Labs are good around children. ADOPT DON'T SHOP!

Old 09-23-2023, 12:29 PM

939 posts, read 390,709 times
Quote:
So you’re saying it probably wouldn’t be a good idea? I’m only asking because people do you have these breeds with very small kids. And they say that they were very gentle and perfect for kiddos.

I had a Rottweiler growing up but we didn’t get it until I was in my teens just because that’s whenever we move into a home, we were living in a apartment before. What do dogs tail or gentle paw saying hello knock my toddlers over? Do you think this would be a huge deal or the dog would learn to be gentle and not bumped them over or not into them? How would the weight and strength and height of the dog compared to my daughters?
Most likely if you got an English Mastiff as a puppy and had it trained along with the family it would have a very close bond with the girls. But keep in mind, it may not have that type of bond with your daughters friends when they come over for play dates. As far as comparing weight, height, and strength......... There is no comparison. These dogs are heavy and extremely strong. You or your daughters would be no match for an English Mastiff if it decided to chase a squirrel or another dog. Even when playing these dogs can do some damage.

Another area of concern may be the actual cost of owning a Mastiff. We spend about $100 a month in food alone. And Vet visits are at least double/triple the cost of smaller dogs. Prescriptions, surgeries, everything costs more.

With your line of questioning and lack of experience with the giant breed, I'd probably steer you away from an English Mastiff.

Old 09-23-2023, 12:37 PM

2,020 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:

Let me guess, your daughter is 3 foot tall and underweight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs