Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 07:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Don't they lean hard on people and hit with their swinging tails?
Probably, to some extent, when they are puppies and young dogs; but Newfies are not extremely high-energy dogs. When I was walking dogs, the dog most prone to leaning on me for a prolonged greeting ritual was a small-for-the-breed Rottweiler; and the Newfie that I walked was a pleasant but very laid back dog. Both were adult male dogs in their prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2023, 08:06 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
I love it when dogs lean on me. Many times they will do it at the dog park. Dogs I've never met before. My son's Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) does it with me. My rescue boy took 10 years before he leaned on me. It was a magical moment and only happened once. I know that he was telling me how much he loved me and was thanking me. This was not too long before he passed away. Now I have to go cry - again.

Old 10-08-2023, 08:55 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Owning a dog is a lifestyle. Getting a dog is a complete lifestyle change. Too many people think dogs are toys or property, like TheShadow said. If someone is not willing to step up to that, then just don't get a dog.

Dogs are sentient beings and should be treated as such. People who have a dog or dogs should be a "dog person". I am firm about that. You have to be a dog person. Otherwise, why have a dog?

When I lived in rural New Mexico, I saw an old guy at the gas station, a rancher. He had THE most beautiful Australian Shepherd. He told me that if the dog didn't work out as a herder he was going to get rid of it. I've always wondered what happened, and if the dog didn't work out where did it end up?
Absolutely agree. I've had a couple of people ask why I don't have a dog. LOL! I love my life, AS IT IS. To get a dog, would be like deciding to adopt a kid. Actually worse, in my view. I don't want the lifestyle that having a dog (or any pet for that matter) requires. I don't want the work, the mess, the time, the smell, the expense, etc. Nope. I enjoy other's peoples dogs, but I have zero desire to have one of my own.

Old 10-09-2023, 08:23 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,157,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Absolutely agree. I've had a couple of people ask why I don't have a dog. LOL! I love my life, AS IT IS. To get a dog, would be like deciding to adopt a kid. Actually worse, in my view. I don't want the lifestyle that having a dog (or any pet for that matter) requires. I don't want the work, the mess, the time, the smell, the expense, etc. Nope. I enjoy other's peoples dogs, but I have zero desire to have one of my own.
I understand that.

That being said, dog ownership has got me through some brutal times in life.

& Unfortunately sometimes one is needed for home protection.

Old 10-09-2023, 04:07 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I love it when dogs lean on me. Many times they will do it at the dog park. Dogs I've never met before. My son's Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff) does it with me. My rescue boy took 10 years before he leaned on me. It was a magical moment and only happened once. I know that he was telling me how much he loved me and was thanking me. This was not too long before he passed away. Now I have to go cry - again.
Boy, do I get this! My last cattledog was a leaner in an unusual very endearing way. If I happened to grumble about something while sitting somewhere within reach, she'd creep over to lean up against my side/back, lay her chin on my shoulder with this little quiet moan, and press her head against mine as if trying to comfort me or watch whatever I happened to be doing. Every time she did, I'd quickly dissolve into a mushy huggy mess. Which I'm sure encouraged her to keep doing it! If I could find a way to express it, I'd love to add "must be a shoulder vulture" to my list of desired adoptive dog candidate behaviors.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-09-2023 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-09-2023, 06:27 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
That's so sweet Parnassia.... and yes, I too am a cuddly dog lover. However, my boy was abused during the first 2-3 years of his life, so he had a lot of healing to do. I never pushed him. After a while, he figured out where we were going and get excited. He would get all shiny, happy and wiggly and lick the side of my face while I was driving. Other than that, he was a quiet dog. He never did show his belly. He wouldn't let me brush his teeth. I basically just brushed and loved him and once in a while I would ask him if I could please hug him, that I wouldn't be too intense lol. I only taught him basic commands because he was not the "doing tricks" type. He was dignified. A watcher.

He taught me to blink at him, that's when I learned from him blinking at me first, that pack leaders will blink at members of their pack in acknowledgement. It became our little thing. That, and licking his lips quickly to show that he wasn't a threat. I learned to lick my lips when approaching him (but didn't have to do that in his last several years). In his final weeks, he would lie across the room and stare at me for long periods of time instead of gong to sleep. I think he knew that his time was ending. He was ill. When I would catch him doing that, he would blink at me. I miss him so.

I will definitely get another Australian Cattle Dog if I am able (circumstances permitting). But I won't expect that dog to be just like my boy. He/she will be their own special dog.

Old 10-10-2023, 02:27 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I understand that.

That being said, dog ownership has got me through some brutal times in life.

& Unfortunately sometimes one is needed for home protection.
Yep, understand that too. And to be clear, I had a cat most of my life, other than the last 16 years. I loved them all. Bawled like a baby when they died. But I knew that the last one was the last pet for me. It’s a lot. I’m footloose and non-tethered now and that’s how I want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs