Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 07:51 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They perpetuate it because it is true. I have talked to at least FIVE owners of this breed (because my BF was thinking about getting one) and every single one said that if you don't want to have to deal with a LOT of energy, tons of exercise, and often destructive behavior if left alone (which is absolutely a requirement for him since he works outside the home), take them off your list.
Well I know personally at least DOZENS from our training club and hands down if you want an out of the box, batteries included, solid bird hunting dog AND a great home dog GSP's are one of the preferred breeds. Easily trained and if you learn as an owner the command 'place' for your dog you can switch them 'off' in a second. We have over a hundred members in that club representing vizslas, pudelpointers, drachs, munsterlanders, reg. pointers, setters of all types etc..Pretty much every versatile breed. The best house breed of all- setters. The second? GSP's.

My dogs are crate trained if we're gone during the day. When I get home they get training bumpers thrown in the yard for at least 1/2-1hr. The plain fact is I've had more destructive and hyper breeds than these 4 nutballs.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-26-2023 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 08:05 PM

6,865 posts, read 4,860,189 times
I didn't read most of the posts. I like larger dogs, but not dogs with jowls. Great Danes, St. Bernards, Mastiffs, all slobber. Your kids, you, the furniture, the walls, everything gets slimed. Also, large breeds have shorter life spans. Look into health problems common to any breed you are interested in. Dogs need exercise. They can't be put out in the backyard and expected to exercise on their own. Also....the bigger the dog the bigger the piles of poop to clean up. Have you ever had a dog? From your top post I am guessing not.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
The OP is gone and shouldn't get a dog anyway. Probably shouldn't have had kids, either, from the sounds of it.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:08 AM

1,879 posts, read 886,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFaith2 View Post
I don’t mean by themselves, I mean like we’re just out walking around and they want to hold the leash.

Just based on the fact you don't like playing with your own kids (your other post), you probably shouldn't own ANY dog, and should hire a nanny.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:31 AM

11,032 posts, read 6,870,183 times
It's easy to feel completely overwhelmed by 3 children under 4 years of age. That's a LOT. Most parents feel that at some point, if not most of the time.

I had always wanted 3 kids but after getting one of each I was done. I can't imagine dealing with 3 kids under 4 yrs old. But "this too shall pass." I never wanted anyone else taking care of my kids so I stayed home for the first 5 years. I was fortunate that my kids were and are very independent. They always amused themselves in various ways, but we also did a lot of neat things together.

One day in the future the OP (who is gone from here) will look back and (1) wish that she'd done things differently (and felt differently) and (2) wish for those days to return. Children grow up and start to separate from their parents starting at puberty or even pre-puberty. It doesn't take long from 2-4 years of age to 11-13 years of age. It actually goes by very fast even during those times when you "wish they'd grow up" and it feels like they never will. I'd love to have one week back in time with my kids at that age.

Old 09-27-2023, 07:38 AM

1,879 posts, read 886,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
It's easy to feel completely overwhelmed by 3 children under 4 years of age. That's a LOT. Most parents feel that at some point, if not most of the time.

My point was more about how the OP doesn't want to play with their kids, but seems to think they could play with a dog instead, one that could possibly (almost surely) hurt their kids, and also make a lot more work for them as well. The thought processes here define words.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:39 AM

Yes, that's very true. Thanks for bringing that up. I left that out because I was focusing on the feeling of overwhelm which is likely or possibly what she is feeling.

I've known and seen parents who are uninterested in their children. It's VERY damaging to children. It's mind blowing that taking care of a vulnerable little human doesn't open up their hearts and minds to the miracle and the fragility of human life. And how important it is to take an interest and foster the child's growth and wonder at life on this planet.

As for allowing a young child to hold a dog's leash: foolish. My 13 year old energetic girl would still be a problem. One squirrel, rabbit or friendly person and she's off with me having to hold her back. So an older dog can be just as much of a problem as a puppy - no matter what breed they are or how small they are.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:54 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Large dogs cannot be left around unsupervised around kids.

Old 09-27-2023, 09:12 AM

That's true, I've also seen some cranky and unpredictable small dogs (yappers). I wouldn't trust them around small children at all. My boy who passed away recently was abused in his first years of life. I think it was by children because he was wary of children. He once tried to nip a boy who came too close without approaching the way a dog prefers (hands open, palms up, cautiously).

Old 09-27-2023, 09:58 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's true, I've also seen some cranky and unpredictable small dogs (yappers). I wouldn't trust them around small children at all. My boy who passed away recently was abused in his first years of life. I think it was by children because he was wary of children. He once tried to nip a boy who came too close without approaching the way a dog prefers (hands open, palms up, cautiously).
On a happy note, most dogs warm up to new people if their masters seem comfortable with those people.

Our Rottweiler prevented a lot of problems just from being seen in the yard.

I adore Mastiffs but.............a large angry one can do some serious harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs