Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 10:28 PM

26 posts, read 50,702 times

Advertisements

My dog is 14 years old, and he lost control of bowels. All these years, he used to sleep with us, but we cannot anymore. I took him to the vet, and he said, there is no medication for stool control. He really wants to come and sleep with us and I don't know how long he will be with us and that makes me really sad. Do I have any options? Any oils /supplements? Can I use female dog diapers? He is a male dog.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 11:31 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Did your vet recommended anything?

So what was the diagnosis?
I ask, because in some cases there are options.
https://wagwalking.com/condition/lack-bowel-control

Those diapers seem to be good for female and male dogs:
https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Parents-W...p_s_a_1_1_sspa
Good reviews too...

Plus many other male dog diapers on Amazon.

Last edited by elnina; 03-10-2023 at 11:39 PM..

Old 03-11-2023, 04:22 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,708,041 times
A lot of dogs lose control of their bowels as they age. It is one of the most difficult issues to handle when they get older.

I went through this with my father’s GSDs. Whatever you do, do not use diapers: the poop will stay in contact with the skin for hours, which is not good for your dog friend and will simply cause you to have to constantly bathe him. Plus, if he pees in the middle of the night as well, then the urine will stay in contact with his skin, resulting in urine scald.

Your best option is to use puppy pads and waterproof blankets (they’re washable and can be draped over any surface that you want to protect from soiling). The waterproof blankets are a God send—you just throw the soiled blanket in the wash:

https://www.greatpetcare.com/home-de...-dog-blankets/

Also, be sure to take him outside much more frequently (every 2-3 hours) to avoid messes inside.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:08 AM

26 posts, read 50,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Those diapers seem to be good for female and male dogs:
https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Parents-W...p_s_a_1_1_sspa
Good reviews too...

Plus many other male dog diapers on Amazon.

Physical / Canine cognitive dysfunction because of his age.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:30 AM

7,376 posts, read 4,159,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

My dearly deceased dog had a tapeworm which caused lost of bowels. She was already dealing with cancer, but thankfully it was an easy fix.

When my very old cat suffered from senility, she moved from one side of the bed to another side - to pee. We couldn't handle waking up with urine soaked blankets. So sadly, we euthanized her. Dogs, unlike cats, can be crated overnight.

Old 03-11-2023, 11:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Crating is one option.

She is old and loss of bowel control is just one of the downturns coming.

Pick yer poison. Nothing is going to reverse-age the process.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:13 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,329,788 times
You didn't say IF the stools are Normal? IF they are Not Normal contact, your vet take them a Stool Sample.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:17 PM

14,532 posts, read 12,163,865 times
This happened to one of my old dogs. She started pooping in her bed, in her sleep. The thing is, her hips were wearing out, so pooping laying down was a lot safer than trying to stand and squat.

Old age is not for the faint of heart, for any of us.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 570 times
When the dog has bowel issues. We need to immediately take your dog to the vet as soon as possible to rule out any underlying health conditions. In the meantime, make sure your dog is kept in a clean and comfortable environment and that their dietary needs are met.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:33 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,381,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytails_store View Post
When the dog has bowel issues. We need to immediately take your dog to the vet as soon as possible to rule out any underlying health conditions. In the meantime, make sure your dog is kept in a clean and comfortable environment and that their dietary needs are met.
Yes. By the time we took our dog to the vet for unexplained bowel issues....it was too late to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs