Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 02:23 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, that's pretty much what my girl looks like (I don't know how to post photos on here... duh). Her ears are sightly longer, and she's completely black. Her head is small which is probably the mix rather than Lab. She's fluffy too, like a Border Collie.
You can upload the photos to a site like Imgur or Photobucket, and then copy the share link - then click on the image button above, and insert that link (or just bracket with [img][/img]).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 03:34 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Recently I went to all my free sites (Imgur, Photobucket and Flickr) they are all super old, in order words I haven't used them in a long time. I'm full up on all of them and when I tried to offload my photos, it was a nightmare. Let's just say, it will take time. It's not just a few clicks and you're done. I'm not willing to pay $12/mo for "pro." I've been using Amazon Photos, but apparently it's not a "free" site that I can upload from there to here. Same with Google Drive. If anyone has done it, please advise.

Old 01-29-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I have always felt these dog DNA businesses to be crackpots. why do you really care? Are you getting rid of your dogs or will you love them less if you find out your "Lab" is not a "Lab"? Nope you won't. A waste of money in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, then it's a good thing they didn't ask you to pay.

For some it's just a matter of curiosity, while for others it can help to determine genetic predispositions - whether behavioral or medical. There is value in knowing these things, even if you personally don't care. When I tested my dogs, it was mostly curiosity. The old guy in particular was a mega mutt, so I got tired of saying "I have no idea" when people asked what he was! It was fun to find out, and well worth the $75 I spent on his test. With the new dog, I was pretty sure he was full Husky; but again, just curious if that was true, since people often ask if he's mixed (due to his being larger and fluffier). He did come back as 100% Siberian, and I also found out some interesting details I wouldn't have known otherwise. He's a piebald cinnamon, clear for all known genetic issues, and has relatives in SoCal and Las Vegas. Again, it was fun and worth it for ME. YMMV obviously.
Same here. I've always been curious, and I also wanted to know their health risks. Turns out they have no health risks at all.

I don't understand why someone would think I'd love my dogs any less or want to get rid of them based on their DNA results. I've had them for over a decade. They are my family.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Recently I went to all my free sites (Imgur, Photobucket and Flickr) they are all super old, in order words I haven't used them in a long time. I'm full up on all of them and when I tried to offload my photos, it was a nightmare. Let's just say, it will take time. It's not just a few clicks and you're done. I'm not willing to pay $12/mo for "pro." I've been using Amazon Photos, but apparently it's not a "free" site that I can upload from there to here. Same with Google Drive. If anyone has done it, please advise.
Imgur is 100% free, unless you want "Pro" features... I don't even know what those are, let alone care about having them. So you should be able to use Imgur for this pupose, and maybe just open a new account (under a different email) if it's full? You can also use City-Data's photo uploading in your profile, but I find it hard to use especially on mobile.

Side rant, but I wish C-D would update their whole site to be more mobile and "modern" friendly. You should be able to do a direct upload, from your phone's photo album, like you can on Reddit/Facebook/etc. But I won't hold my breath lol.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Same here. I've always been curious, and I also wanted to know their health risks. Turns out they have no health risks at all.

I don't understand why someone would think I'd love my dogs any less or want to get rid of them based on their DNA results. I've had them for over a decade. They are my family.
Yeah, that was a silly comment. My old dog was as mongrel-y as they come, so why on earth would it "matter" to me what breeds he was? I was just curious, that's all! I did the DNA test when he was 13 years old, and obviously had no intentions of giving him up regardless; but after so many years of not knowing, I thought it would be fun to see what it said.

Some folks think if they wouldn't spend their money on (whatever), then nobody should.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:33 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not unless your ancestors lived in China.

Chow Chow has never ever been popular in the United States or anywhere in North or South America and it has always been a rare breed with very few fanciers and those that had them generally kept them from roaming.

There should be very little Chow genetics in any dog in America.

Depends where in the US. There were quite a few Chows in southern California when I lived there in the 2000's. These were not show dogs - they were popular as guard dogs in lower-income areas, and many did escape and roam, and end up in the county impound.

That said, there are many breeds that can have blue spots on the tongues. Blue tongue = Chow is a myth.
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/li...-blue-tongues/

Old 02-02-2023, 10:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not unless your ancestors lived in China.

Chow Chow has never ever been popular in the United States or anywhere in North or South America and it has always been a rare breed with very few fanciers and those that had them generally kept them from roaming.

There should be very little Chow genetics in any dog in America.
Back in the 80’s I use to see a lot of Chow Chows. I do follow the Embark Facebook page and quite a few dogs seem to have Chow in them.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I have always felt these dog DNA businesses to be crackpots. why do you really care? Are you getting rid of your dogs or will you love them less if you find out your "Lab" is not a "Lab"? Nope you won't. A waste of money in my book.

We actually got Loki tested through Embark w/the health screen as part of a study on DCM. He was diagnosed at age 2 and not a breed prone to DCM. I was searching online and found a study that wanted mixed breed dogs with DCM to study their genes. The study included the test and a few questions as well as the results from the vet. He has since recovered after diet change and medications and he is now DCM free. When we picked up Jester from a parking lot, I went ahead and just did the Embark test w/health screen to see if he had a predisposition to anything.

When we got him from the shelter we were told he was an Anatolian Shepherd mix, because he looks just like one and has many of the characteristics of one. The vet thought he was an Anatolian Shepherd, his trainer thought he was an Anatolian Shepherd. Not one drop of Anatolian Shepherd in him.

What Loki is:

28.6% German Shepherd
24.8% Siberian Husky
17.8% American Pit Bull Terrier
14.7% Great Dane
7.4% American Staffordshire Terrier
6.7% Great Pyrenees

What he looks like: https://emma.ca/dog-breeds/anatolian-shepherd

Old 02-17-2023, 06:15 AM

I think this is going to be coming out a lot. Both my dogs have "German Shepherd," "Pit Bull Terrier" and "Staffordshire Terrier" in small amounts. Seems to me, very unscientific speculation: a mish mish ends up looking totally different than what they are genetically. /shrug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs