Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 01:28 PM

815 posts, read 979,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not unless your ancestors lived in China.

Chow Chow has never ever been popular in the United States or anywhere in North or South America and it has always been a rare breed with very few fanciers and those that had them generally kept them from roaming.

There should be very little Chow genetics in any dog in America.
In the 1980's, chow chows were the 6th most popular breed.
The rescues I worked with were full of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 06:19 PM

383 posts, read 664,651 times
I would like to do it for my 2 rescues. They were found together in the woods. My girl dog had a liter at some point in her life. I would like to know if my mail dog is her son or not. Would the DNA test tell me that???

Old 01-29-2023, 05:59 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I don't know, but I'm sure someone else will chime in. You will certainly find out of they are related.

My report showed close and distant relatives, one of which is only 25 miles away. Some of them have locations, some don't, just the name of the dog.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
...and I am shocked and baffled. Thoughts?
How large is the pool of samples (OTHER doggie dna tests) ... that your dog is being compared to?
What parts of the world or the US are represented?

Ever hear of "GIGO"??

Old 01-29-2023, 09:23 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I have always felt these dog DNA businesses to be crackpots. why do you really care? Are you getting rid of your dogs or will you love them less if you find out your "Lab" is not a "Lab"? Nope you won't. A waste of money in my book.
I think one of the main benefits is that you can see if your dog is at risk for certainly genetically linked illnesses. That’s especially the case if you get a dog at a shelter and have no clue who the parents are. You don’t even know what illnesses/issues you might need to look out for. There are some breeds that have a high risk of issues- like I think all Dalmatians have to have a special diet and they tend to be more likely to have hearing impairments. Luckily Dalmatians are pretty dang noticeable, but that might not always be the case for all breeds with issues.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:34 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
I would like to do it for my 2 rescues. They were found together in the woods. My girl dog had a liter at some point in her life. I would like to know if my mail dog is her son or not. Would the DNA test tell me that???
I haven’t done these dog tests but human ones will tell you. You get about 50% of DNA from each parent so if the report “centomorgan” relationships the child pup vs momma dog would have a high number.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:51 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Do a web search on “origin of Labrador Retriever”. Apparently they originated in the 1500s and some “small water dogs” were incorporated. That might be where the poodle DNA came from.

What happens with DNA is it looks at a modern dog but with enough samples of all kinds of modern individuals you can find small pieces in common in very diverse seeming individuals that also appear regularly in certain older breeds.

That’s how we humans might even have some neanderthal DNA, especially as more and more ancient remains are discovered.

And, if you repeat the test 5 yrs from now as more and more dogs have been tested, the percentages will change a little. More data leads to more insights.
Well, she might still be alive in 5 years that would make her 17-1/2! My girl is black. She looks exactly like the dog in the photo on this link (middle dog of 3 dogs - not in the header at top):

https://slco.org/animal-services/unl...or-retrievers/

I can understand that she's not full Lab. She actually hates water except the ocean, then she goes wild playing. She does retrieve, but she also herds (especially me ) Still trying to figure out where the all black look came from. Perhaps Cocker Spaniel. And her head and ears do look a bit like a Brittany.

These are her breeds:

Herding
29% Australian Cattle Dog
27% German Shepherd Dog

Asian and Oceanian
11% Chow Chow

Companion
8% Poodle (Toy and Miniature)
2% American Eskimo Dog

Sporting
6% Cocker Spaniel
4% Brittany Terrier
8% Chihuahua

Guard
3% Boxer

Hound
2% Catahoula Leopard Dog

Old 01-29-2023, 01:05 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Just for clarity, the recognition of specific breeds is done through national and/or international registries. Here in the US, the recognized registry is the American Kennel Club. The Labrador Retriever was recognized by the AKC in 1927. There are specific traits (breed standards) that a dog is judged against to decide if it is a good representation of the breed. Popularity of a breed isn't always a good thing. Unethical and indiscriminate breeding practices are a huge problem in Labrador and Golden Retrievers. Mostly due to their demand and popularity. DNA ( as well as other) testing can be excellent tools. A responsible breeder is a champion for the dogs they love and do everything they can to keep the gene pool large and diluted to guard against defects and diseases. I saw a few posts up that someone mentioned The Chow Chow. This is an excellent example of a dog that was bred for a specific purpose and should exhibit very specific traits. If you go to the AKC website, it will explain everything a Chow Chow should and shouldn't be both physically and mentally. After reading the standard, it becomes evident very quickly that this is not a good breed for beginners. Even Labs and Goldens should come with caution labels. They are sporting dogs and generally have a high energy level. When they are not given adequate exercise and training, they tend to eat your house, one cushion, doorjam and carpet at a time.Back to the original question.. so, is a DNA test useful to the average person? In the sense of curiosity, it can be. As a tool for breeders, yes absolutely.

Old 01-29-2023, 02:16 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
I have always felt these dog DNA businesses to be crackpots. why do you really care? Are you getting rid of your dogs or will you love them less if you find out your "Lab" is not a "Lab"? Nope you won't. A waste of money in my book.
Well, then it's a good thing they didn't ask you to pay.

For some it's just a matter of curiosity, while for others it can help to determine genetic predispositions - whether behavioral or medical. There is value in knowing these things, even if you personally don't care. When I tested my dogs, it was mostly curiosity. The old guy in particular was a mega mutt, so I got tired of saying "I have no idea" when people asked what he was! It was fun to find out, and well worth the $75 I spent on his test. With the new dog, I was pretty sure he was full Husky; but again, just curious if that was true, since people often ask if he's mixed (due to his being larger and fluffier). He did come back as 100% Siberian, and I also found out some interesting details I wouldn't have known otherwise. He's a piebald cinnamon, clear for all known genetic issues, and has relatives in SoCal and Las Vegas. Again, it was fun and worth it for ME. YMMV obviously.

Old 01-29-2023, 02:21 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not unless your ancestors lived in China.

Chow Chow has never ever been popular in the United States or anywhere in North or South America and it has always been a rare breed with very few fanciers and those that had them generally kept them from roaming.

There should be very little Chow genetics in any dog in America.
Mine had 12% Chow, according to his test. Is that "very little" in your opinion? He didn't have the spotted tongue, but one of my vets was certain he was part Chow - so that confirmed their guess, at least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs