Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 08:03 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
If you got an Embark DNA test, they are pretty accurate. Some of the other tests are known to have issues. Many people feel that because a dog "looks" like a breed or "acts" like a breed, it must be that breed. Nothing could be further from the truth.
I'm with carcrazy on this. Even if it's Wisdom Panel rather than Embark, AFAIK, it is far more likely to be accurate than not. The genetics that can show up when you start mixing things can be surprising. It's not uncommon at all to see a dog who looks like a particular breed* - but has 0% of that breed in them.

And, once you've mixed things over more than one generation, behavior traits can be all over, too - breed traits can disappear.

*I'm not saying it's common, either, but I've seen such dogs frequently enough that it isn't a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 08:04 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I was busy yesterday so I plan to call the company today and discuss, but I have a feeling you all have described it the way they will.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM

768 posts, read 858,461 times
I have always felt these dog DNA businesses to be crackpots. why do you really care? Are you getting rid of your dogs or will you love them less if you find out your "Lab" is not a "Lab"? Nope you won't. A waste of money in my book.

Old 01-26-2023, 01:47 PM

I can only speak for myself, but when a rescuer doesn't know their dog's background, where they were born, into what circumstances, the date they were born, or even a ballpark figure of how old they are it helps to have certain information.

I don't think these companies are crocks. They don't promise 100% accuracy. I'm glad to get these results, even if one of them is difficult to wrap my head around. I don't think the science is wrong. In other words, the people on this thread who have tried to explain it to me have been helpful. I never thought my female dog is a mostly a Black Lab. I was simply curious to know what else is there. And now I know, whether I agree with the results or not.

In the future I will likely do another test with a different company. I paid extra to know the health challenges and am grateful to know that my dogs have no risks. Indeed, one dog has been ill only once in 12 years, and the other dog has never been ill. He lost his hearing recently for a week, but it came back. I believe that these tests confirmed what I already knew: I have very healthy dogs for which I'm grateful.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:04 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
It would be really valuable to have breeders with several generations of pedigreed “purebreds” provide samples from their dogs.

That way the DNA database would know how the historical DNA is associated with each modern breed.

The way it is now, people who get their breeds tested usually have dogs with mysterious parentage and cute but curious features that pique their curiosity. What is needed is high numbers of samples from long-existing, heavily back-crossed breeds to provide the information that is lacking in the databases.

Probably the companies are trying to get some of this on their own but it’s really a crowd sourced deal. Humans ran into the same situation when companies like Ancestry got started. Some heritage groups weren’t showing up since few individuals in those smaller groups had sent in their DNA, for example American indian tribes. Even now the same data taken against a growing total dataset shows slight shifts in ethnicity patterns. Same will happen with our furballs (pet dogs).

Old 01-28-2023, 07:56 AM

So true! I was hoping that by waiting 5 years I would get more accurate results. I mean, I knew that my boy is a red cattle dog/heeler mix. I met his litter mate sister many years ago. She looks totally like a red heeler: redder hair, smaller head and body, shorter hair, 2 pointy ears (my boy has 1 floppy). My girl however, has some mitigating traits. Meaning, I can very slightly see the breeds that are in there at only 8% or lower.

Very interesting that a lot of people and vets will say Chow Chow just based upon spots on the tongue. I didn't believe it when a former vet said that about my girl (8%). She has a couple of small spots.

I've seen purebred Chow Chows at the dog park that have a totally dark purple tongue. It's wild. My boy has 8% Chow Chow but no spots.

Seems that Chow Chow was a breed our ancestors liked to have around for guarding purposes, and it's filtered down into showing up quite a bit at the present time. Interesting because Chow Chow is not currently a hugely popular breed due to urban and sub-urbanization.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:49 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
And, there’s also the situation that one litter of pups can be from more than one sperm donor. Females not well separated can mate with more than one daddy-dog over the couple of days before fertilzation occurs. I took in a pregnant mixed breed dog who had 6 puppies. Pairs were very different from the others. As if three possible fathers.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
And, there’s also the situation that one litter of pups can be from more than one sperm donor. Females not well separated can mate with more than one daddy-dog over the couple of days before fertilization occurs. I took in a pregnant mixed breed dog who had 6 puppies. Pairs were very different from the others. As if three possible fathers.
That's wild, but I bet actually pretty common! I was surprised that my boy didn't show any coyote or wolf in him since he was born out in the remote desert. I'm still wondering, and will likely do another test in the future. The shape of his head while looking down (viewed from the top) is very coyote or wolf-like. However, with my girl I've learned that even if they look like a breed, they don't have a drop in them. I'm still stymied.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:12 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
.......Seems that Chow Chow was a breed our ancestors liked to have around for guarding purposes, ........
Not unless your ancestors lived in China.

Chow Chow has never ever been popular in the United States or anywhere in North or South America and it has always been a rare breed with very few fanciers and those that had them generally kept them from roaming.

There should be very little Chow genetics in any dog in America.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:43 PM

When I lived in NM my friend had (still has) a 100% Chow Chow. she was a rescue in a box outside a grocery store. Go figure. My dogs supposedly have Chow Chow in them 8% and 11%. It would be interesting to know what the actual statistics are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs