Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 07:36 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,071,988 times

Advertisements

Every time a poodle or poodle mix is posted by a rescue, there are a million applications for that one dog while the others languish.

I'm in the NYC metro area and people are nutso for oodles and poos. Is this true in your area? Why are poodle mixes so popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 07:46 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times
Many don't shed ("hypoallergenic"). People want the parent bread but not the shedding, so instead of getting the (likely better, more stable) parent breeds, they get a cross (or, mutt, as one would normally say about a non-designer dog).

Old 01-05-2023, 08:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,658 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Many don't shed ("hypoallergenic"). People want the parent bread but not the shedding, so instead of getting the (likely better, more stable) parent breeds, they get a cross (or, mutt, as one would normally say about a non-designer dog).
Yes, I see this here all the time too. Unfortunately these mixes have not been around long enough to be stable, so sometimes it can go wrong. One relative bought a doodle puppy that was just adorable, with short curly hair. When it got a few months old it started to get a mix of longer straight and the short curly and it looks like some people when they first get out of bed. It's also a terrible barker, when we go to visit they put it outside and it barks the whole time. That may be more of a lack of training, however.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:27 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,152,944 times
Poodles have long been known as very smart and trainable dogs. Add to that their minimal shedding and housekeepers have appreciated them. They also come in multiple sizes and colors. So when mixed with other breeds they develop interesting patterns and physically fit a lot of intermediate size preferences.

The hypoallergenic trope is simply related to the reduced shedding.

But people find the breed combinations very appealing without the vintage snootiness once associated with poodle ownership aka back in the 1950s when the poodle motif was part of fashions.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:22 PM

936 posts, read 2,071,546 times
cuz they're (mostly) cute I reckon.

Those golden doodles, bernadoodles etc all very attractive dogs.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:28 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,347,003 times
They are mutts. It's crazy what people pay for them. In my experience, most of them are spaz cases and not well bred.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,658 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
They are mutts. It's crazy what people pay for them. In my experience, most of them are spaz cases and not well bred.
Yes, inexperienced breeders jumping in to make money on a new trend results in a lot of problems. We saw the same thing in the 1980s when the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was admitted to AKC. We had two of them, both had major (but different) health issues, and our breeder was experienced, with the mother imported from the UK.

Old 01-05-2023, 01:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,135,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Every time a poodle or poodle mix is posted by a rescue, there are a million applications for that one dog while the others languish.

I'm in the NYC metro area and people are nutso for oodles and poos. Is this true in your area? Why are poodle mixes so popular?
I don’t know because poodles are perfect as they are.

It just seems like terriers are not well-liked.

Old 01-05-2023, 01:06 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
My friend got labradoodle and a bernadoodle puppies at the same time. I may have mentioned to her that she was a darned fool. They are a retired couple.

They had to rehome the bernadoodle because it was too wild, and the labradoodle they have has bad dietary issues, despite the fact that my friend cooks it chicken and rice for it from scratch. Also the frequent grooming is quite expensive.

I’m sure some people have good luck with poodle crosses, but my friend struck out twice.

Old 01-05-2023, 01:19 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,623,218 times
^ a family friend couple of ours bought a pair of bernadoodles. I'll admit I had no idea what that was before they got them. They paid an ungodly sum per dog (upwards of what we've paid for pedigree import GSDs that could be the back of police cars when older). Seems like a racket, especially for dogs with no real breeding lines.

Edit - oh, and the dogs are trainwrecks. Untrainable from what I can tell. Possibly a ownership, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs