Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 05:02 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Trendy mixed breeds often "encourage" backyard breeding by people who don't understand the traits they're breeding for - just to capitalize on the trend. This is, of course, the same concern of pure line backyard breed dogs, with the exception that the people buying them are typically not as tuned into bad breeding practices. I'm sure there are exceptions, however.
Yes. There are some that are clueless - especially in this recent wave of "Doodle Dogs". I know someone who is involved with the "Doodle Community". A lot of breeders appear to be accusing one another of either "being puppy mills" which I know is true, because the Amish breed then and they are known for running horrifying puppy mills and selling them to pet stores.

I have to say, the first breeder I ever met as an adult, was an AKC Breeder, who didn't care at all for her brook dogs and studs.

All breeds DID start with someone taking the good traits from one breed and attempting to eradicate the "bad traits in each".

What is so bad about poodles? My husband and I all grew up with poodles.

My mother in law and I decided to adopt two elderly peoples who had been exploited in puppy mills all of their lives. They each had many psychologic behaviors that were the result of their abuse in the mill. However, it took a relatively short stime until they turned into. happy, playful little dogs.
At 10 and 8, they were like puppies again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 04:53 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Every time a poodle or poodle mix is posted by a rescue, there are a million applications for that one dog while the others languish.

I'm in the NYC metro area and people are nutso for oodles and poos. Is this true in your area? Why are poodle mixes so popular?
Poodles and poodle mixes don't shred and are very smart. Of the dogs that languish in the shelters, they are pitties and pittie mixes... and no one wants them because of their reputation for aggression.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:29 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
I rescued a Welsh-terrier mix off the streets of Atlanta, and also a senior puppy mill quality mini poodle... both were wonderful loyal dogs. And didn't shed.

And I've also had a pug, a miniature rat terrier, two lab-mixes and several medium-sized shaggy terrier mixes. Also awesome companions.

I hate the concept of puggles. Otherwise I will never own a boxer, husky, chow chow, GSD and especially pittie type dogs.

Old 03-11-2023, 05:30 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Poodles and poodle mixes don't shred and are very smart. Of the dogs that languish in the shelters, they are pitties and pittie mixes... and no one wants them because of their reputation for aggression.
This is why they need to just outlaw the pitt breeds.

Our local animal shelter is absolutely overrun with pitts and pittbull mixes that no one wants.

They have no more slots for incoming dogs, so guess what happens to them.

In our area, a lot of the people that get these dogs are barely able to be responsible for their own selves, let alone be responsible for a breed that needs a lot of care in order not to become an issue or an endangerment. They think they are "cool" and hip I guess walking these dogs around, until they realize they or their kids are in danger, and then the dogs are whisked off to the animal shelter.

But we have a lot of breeders in our area because the pitbull "puppy" is a commodity that sells. Why work when you can sell a couple of puppies a week for a couple of hundred dollars a pop?

rinse and repeat.

Old 03-11-2023, 06:03 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
This is why they need to just outlaw the pitt breeds.

Our local animal shelter is absolutely overrun with pitts and pittbull mixes that no one wants.
They need to outlaw or limit the sales of animals. Anyone that breathes oxygen and has a credit card can purchase a dog, and that's not the best idea.

Old 03-11-2023, 06:53 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,513,381 times
Quote:
We have a new grand puppy and he is a cavoodle. I think my daughter chose that as they don’t shred. He is already very smart and so cute. My husband is not being told how much he cost!

Old 03-12-2023, 04:49 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,685 times
Talking about odor. Bathing dogs once a month is fine, but doing it more often dries out the skin and can cause dandruff and allergies. Our Irish terrier had a strong odor, bathing or not, and the Airedale is about the same. It isn't objectionable, but people visiting will notice. The Manchester terrier had no odor, but you could bathe him in a wet napkin.

So how is our RandyMan, the mini doodle?

For three days after a bath Randy smells like Marilyn Monroe in her prime. Don't ask me how I know. Then for the next four weeks he smells like fresh-cut grass or something similar. The Airedale is trained to keep out of our master bedroom. And RandyMan? He sleeps on my pillow, and I sleep wherever I can.

Last edited by mgforshort; 03-12-2023 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-13-2023, 11:26 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Poodles don't shed and are very smart. Poodle mixes might take after the poodle and not shed, or they might take after the other parent and shed like a mobile hair factory. Coats on poodle mixes tend to be more difficult to take care of than the coat on a well bred poodle since they rarely get proper poodle texture to the coat. . Poodle mixes might be smart or they might take after the other parent and have whatever brain power that dog had. Some of the doodles are very smart and some are dumber than a red brick.

Purebreds have their gene pool narrowed down to traits that are desirable for that breed. But any time you deliberately breed a mutt, then the genes will be all jumbled up and you might get anything.

The really odd thing about doodles is that they often cost more than a registered, well bred, purebred poodle. If you want no shedding and super brains and you are willing to pay that sort of money, why not just buy a poodle from a good reputable who breeds for quality, temperament, and health??

Old 03-13-2023, 11:39 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Adding this: I really hope that all the pound puppies end up with a good home, but if you get a cockerdoodle or whatever type of doodle from the pound or even from an exceptionally unethical backyard breeder, that dog might not even have any poodle in it. Two small hairy dogs bred together will produce a small hairy dog that the breeder can claim is a cocker poodle
cross. It might have some poodle somewhere it the pedigree or it might not.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:18 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Poodles don't shed and are very smart. Poodle mixes might take after the poodle and not shed, or they might take after the other parent and shed like a mobile hair factory. Coats on poodle mixes tend to be more difficult to take care of than the coat on a well bred poodle since they rarely get proper poodle texture to the coat. . Poodle mixes might be smart or they might take after the other parent and have whatever brain power that dog had. Some of the doodles are very smart and some are dumber than a red brick.

Purebreds have their gene pool narrowed down to traits that are desirable for that breed. But any time you deliberately breed a mutt, then the genes will be all jumbled up and you might get anything.

The really odd thing about doodles is that they often cost more than a registered, well bred, purebred poodle. If you want no shedding and super brains and you are willing to pay that sort of money, why not just buy a poodle from a good reputable who breeds for quality, temperament, and health??
Because people want what they want, when they want it. They don't want to sit on a waiting list for months when they can run into the nearest pet store or buy a dog off a website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs