Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 01:21 PM

768 posts, read 862,404 times

Advertisements

I had 2 cockapoos in my life. One, when my 4kids were very young and one I purchased as a puppy in 2006. Rowdy was not the easiest dog to get along with. He was super easy to potty train, he was a good eater, followed direction well BUT, he didn't like other dogs at all. If one was loose in the neighborhood he couldn't rest until he got out of the house and chased the interloper away. He also got car sick and would vomit every time he rode in the car for 5 years, then he was over it. BUT he was easy to walk and he NEVER EVER shed a hair in the house or car or on my clothes. He had to go to the groomer every 8-10 weeks. He was very good there. He was such a cute puppy when we picked him up and as he was picked up by the owner of the crematorium, he said " sure is a cute dog"......Rowdy was sold as not getting over 18 pounds....he was 38 pounds, just the right size after all. I would love to have another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 02:59 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,687,797 times
We got a goldendoodle (cross between golden retriever and a poodle) two months ago. Several reasons, number one, she doesn't shed much; two, smart (maybe too smart); three, cute as a button. As for those who say she's just a mutt and not a "purebred" we couldn't care less. The biggest thing was my wife's allergies.

We paid more than I ever thought I would for a dog, but all that seems available from shelters up here are pit bull mixes and husky mixes. Pit bulls have too short of hair for our temps (it gets cold in Alaska) and huskys like to run off (they are bred to pull sleds). The goldendoodle is fine outside in subzero temperatures and doesn't go off too far. She does get wound up at times but is still just a puppy and does respond to training.

Old 01-05-2023, 04:14 PM

23,379 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
It just seems like terriers are not well-liked.
Not hard to understand why. Terriers were developed to be bold, independent and tenacious vermin hunters. Most terriers were bred to be smaller sized, so being bold and noisy was a benefit when facing off with a cornered varmint. However, the smaller size was attractive to people for the wrong reasons. In the wrong hands that combination can be stubborn, uninterested in pleasing a human, and single-minded. They're going to do what they want, not what you want and it's hard to convince one otherwise.

Old 01-05-2023, 05:12 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,749,760 times
Since 1986 we had an Irish terrier, a German Pinscher, a Manchester Terrier and the current Airedale. They were all well-trained, lovable, trustworthy companions. The current Tobi is 10 and in very bad shape with arthritis, so we were looking for a similar but smaller dog, like Welsh, Lakeland or Mini Schnauzer. This was last summer, in 2022.

There were none within 800 miles. Nothing in California, Oregon or Nevada. Some breeders said maybe by next year, some wanted a deposit, and prices were from $ 2,500 to $ 4,500.

We found a nice family 15 miles from us with a litter of five mini golden doodles, with the parents on site. It was expensive, but we paid the deposit and a month later we brought Randy home to Paradise on Labor Day 2022. He was 8 weeks old and 5.2 lbs.

From Day One he was the most fearless, inquisitive, friendliest and sweetest pup we've ever met, our dogs, or others. He tried to hump the big male Airedale the first minutes they met. On a walk he'll get in the face of the biggest Rottweiler or Doberman, but he does it in such a charming way that the other dog won't mind. Completely different from our former terriers. When we meet someone in the street, complete strangers, Randy greets them like a kid greets Grandpa come Christmas.

He'll be about 20 lbs fully grown, like his mom. We have enough clippers and scissors to open a grooming shop, but grooming Randy is the hardest, and I have plenty of experience; I cut my own hair, my wife's, and every dog we had.

The problem is that his coat is so soft that it needs to be brushed thoroughly daily to prevent tangles. The upside is that while he gets a bath only once a month, his hair always smells clean and fresh like a little baby's hair. I can't keep my hands off him when we watch TV from the couch - you get the picture.

To socialize him, last September we went swimming, kayaking, boating, and plenty of car trips, ACE Hardware, Tractor Supply, etc. The first time, whatever we did, he was scared and threw up in the car. Only during the first ride. The second time, (which could be the same day) he acted like a seasoned champ ready to take over the world.

By now he is watching our street from the living room and alerts when someone is passing by. He only barks when someone is approaching, but licks them to death if they enter the house. He also alerts when deer enter the front yard or out on the street.

Separation anxiety is the only issue and we'll have to work on that. Then again, I take out the trash, a good 60 second trip from the kitchen to the yard, and coming back he is all over me with pure joy that we are back together, again !

He'll go out in the rain and doesn't mind the cold, albeit our temps here in Paradise seldom drop below 38-40 in the winter. The summer heat last year didn't faze him a bit.

He makes me feel ten years younger; at my age of 75 that means a lot.

Last edited by mgforshort; 01-05-2023 at 05:45 PM..

Old 01-05-2023, 05:44 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,071,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, inexperienced breeders jumping in to make money on a new trend results in a lot of problems.
YES! People do not seem to understand that reputable breeders are not going to intentionally create mixed-breed dogs.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:40 PM

936 posts, read 2,071,546 times
Many dog breeds start off as designer mutts. I don't think the practice is any worse than pure-breed dog breeding. I'm an advocate for rescue.

Old 01-09-2023, 05:49 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,687,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
YES! People do not seem to understand that reputable breeders are not going to intentionally create mixed-breed dogs.

What is unreputable about taking two breeds with desirable but different traits and breeding them to get a mutt with the desirable traits? It's not like they are passing them off as purebred. We knew what we were getting.

Or, are "reputable" breeders really worried about lost business?

Old 01-10-2023, 09:24 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Just FYI: The mix of Berner + Poodle is a BERNEdoodle, not "BERNAdoodle" as people keep writing here. Not important, just a little thing I noticed. My sister has one of those, and he's a sweet dog... but his fur is terribly difficult to keep well-groomed, and he's already had double knee surgery at less than 2 years old. He still has a funny limp, and probably always will. I begged them to get either a standard poodle or a Bernese Mtn Dog, but they wanted what they wanted! Again, sweet dog. He's just a genetic mess through no fault of his own, and honestly most are way more spastic than he is.

As for why people like these crosses? It's the promise of hypoallergenic coats + intelligence of a poodle + whatever traits the other breed has that's appealing. In the case of Bernedoodles, I think it's that Berners tend to be more mellow and great family dogs. Unfortunately when you mix these breeds, there is no guarantee you'll get the best of both worlds. That's why I like either a full-on mutt or a full-on purebred. I've had one of each (Shepherd mix/mutt and a purebred husky), both rescues though.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:28 PM

862 posts, read 685,463 times
It's well documented that French Poodles are the most amorous of all canines.! LOL

Old 01-13-2023, 01:45 PM

6,487 posts, read 6,697,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
What is unreputable about taking two breeds with desirable but different traits and breeding them to get a mutt with the desirable traits? It's not like they are passing them off as purebred. We knew what we were getting.

Or, are "reputable" breeders really worried about lost business?
I've never understood the level of vitriol some people have against mixed breeds. Everyone I've known with some kind of doodle has been very happy with their pet.

However, I do think it's important to keep the wonderful "pure breeds" that we now have (I put "pure breeds" in quotes because they all have the same evolutionary ancestor.) I have had two purebred Maltese in my adult life, and I think they are wonderful. They meet some specific needs we had, but they are hard to find and quite expensive. I have read that the number of Maltese breeders has significantly declined. I wonder if that is true for other breeds as well. I wouldn't want all the dog breeds to become one giant melting pot of mixed mutts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs