Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 09:48 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,562,543 times

Advertisements

I owned Labs years ago and used a choke chain. (my obedience trainer used them also back then)
Are choke chains frowned upon now?

My son/dau-in-law have a 5 mth old Lab puppy and she is wild on the leash. She jumps up on them and tears at their clothing when they walk her.

I'd like to help them out, but what do you recommend?

I'm going to suggest going to obedience classes, but can't force the issue as it is their dog/their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 10:14 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,628,924 times
Chain or prong? IMO the dog should have some level of obedience before introducing a prong (or any kind of negative reinforcement). Chains are not training tools (in my opinion), since they are not quick enough to reinforce behavior. Prongs are a different story, but we have/work with import shepherds, so their level is different. 5 mos is probably too young unless (and its a big unless) its a true working lab. My recommendation would be puppy obedience classes asap.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:20 AM

14,553 posts, read 12,214,066 times
I believe in using whatever collar allows you to use a light touch for corrections. A hyper dog pulling and choking on a flat web collar and being too obnoxious to take anywhere is NOT more humane than a prong collar that is slack and requires just a light contact.

5 months is definitely old enough for a good obedience class. Unfortunately so many of those have new methods that don't believe in discipline some are a waste of time... They'll need to look around for a good one that can think and offer relevant advice.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Chain or prong? IMO the dog should have some level of obedience before introducing a prong (or any kind of negative reinforcement). Chains are not training tools (in my opinion), since they are not quick enough to reinforce behavior. Prongs are a different story, but we have/work with import shepherds, so their level is different. 5 mos is probably too young unless (and its a big unless) its a true working lab. My recommendation would be puppy obedience classes asap.
Thanks, yes I'm going to suggest this (as I said in my first post)

Old 12-23-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I believe in using whatever collar allows you to use a light touch for corrections. A hyper dog pulling and choking on a flat web collar and being too obnoxious to take anywhere is NOT more humane than a prong collar that is slack and requires just a light contact.

5 months is definitely old enough for a good obedience class. Unfortunately so many of those have new methods that don't believe in discipline some are a waste of time... They'll need to look around for a good one that can think and offer relevant advice.
Thank you. I imagine they will balk at the use of a prong collar when they aren't keen to buy a choke chain.

I know they have to get her under control before she grows any bigger.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:36 AM

4,261 posts, read 3,187,342 times
I don't use a prong or an e-collar until 6 months of age. They are a very effective tool....when "properly" used. From what I've seen, most people don't fit the prong properly. That said, there are some other approaches that can work well. From what I am hearing you probably need to get a good trainer to teach YOU how to deal with the puppy.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:39 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,628,924 times
One thing to add - and you likely already know this, but its worth saying. The importance of obedience training can’t be overstated for new dog owners. Not just for the dog, but if the owners (your son,DiL) take it seriously, they will get as much out of it as the dog. The importance of structure for high drive dogs is more ‘human’ training vs. dog training.

Old 12-23-2022, 12:17 PM

14,553 posts, read 12,214,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Thank you. I imagine they will balk at the use of a prong collar when they aren't keen to buy a choke chain.

I know they have to get her under control before she grows any bigger.

Prong collars are actually a lot more humane than a choke chain... and give a much more intuitive correction, similar to the correction given by a momma dog on the back of the neck. It speaks to their instincts, without hurting them at all.

Put a prong collar on your own leg sometime and yank it as you would to correct the dog. Seriously. It feels strange, but it isn't a painful device. A choker just chokes them, it's not a natural correction at all, they have to learn that it's a punishment for misbehavior. Prong collars they understand much more intuitively.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-23-2022 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-23-2022, 01:41 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,187,342 times
A properly sized prong collar WILL NOT hurt a dog! For those that are not aware, and somewhat counter intuitive, Smaller prongs (2.25 mm) provide more correction than larger prongs. The collar should be very high on the neck and not sitting loose.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:57 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,695,033 times
We use a prong (pinch) collar on our 4 month old goldendoodle. It made a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs