Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 02:40 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,690,097 times

Advertisements

I have a seven month old golden. Took her to obedience class and they suggest the "easy walk no pull harness" immediate improvement. Today she walks great as long as the harness is on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 02:48 PM

32,683 posts, read 48,217,712 times
A good free flowing choke chain properly installed and properly used is the way to go. The problem is that people who have no idea about how to control a puppy are very unlikely to use a choke chain correctly

Maybe one of those head collars (Halti?) would work for them.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:48 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,949,314 times
The only thing that ever worked (I tried everything, including classes and a private dog trainer) with my very active Labrador mix is a no pull mouth trainer. They don't like it at first, but I found that with consistent use, it teaches them to walk calmly. When they see it come out, they decide to walk calmly - at least mine did. This is not the exact thing, but close: https://www.amazon.com/Barkless-Coll...55&sr=8-9&th=1

I once saw an old Labrador dragging his owner down the golf course walkway in Scottsdale. My girl was very young at the time, and I was horrified to think that I was never going to get her under control. She's still not great, but not absolutely terrible like before. I got her at 8 months, so her training unfortunately started late. My other dog is really quiet, calm and a dream on the leash.

Also, my Lab girl didn't stop jumping on people until she was about 10 years old. Very stubborn, this one. I had to train people to turn their backs or hold their knee up to deter the jumping.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:51 PM

32,683 posts, read 48,217,712 times
Adding that no type of collar is going to stop the puppy from jumping on them and tearing at their clothing. That's a different problem.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:55 PM

23,404 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Another tip: let the pup burn off some energy with play (get some puppy zoomies going) before you start leashed walks. She'll be a bit more likely to listen to what you're hoping to teach.

Old 12-23-2022, 03:03 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,562,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have a seven month old golden. Took her to obedience class and they suggest the "easy walk no pull harness" immediate improvement. Today she walks great as long as the harness is on.
I"ll check it out, thanks

Old 12-23-2022, 03:03 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I"ll check it out, thanks
Please dont…

Gentle leader/easy walkers, etc. dont train dogs, they force them into compliance while using the device only. It’s lazy dog “training”. The goal is to train obedience so the dogs don’t need equipment. Positive+negative reinforcement methods do that. 99.9% of these dogs will not heal property w/o them.

Old 12-23-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A good free flowing choke chain properly installed and properly used is the way to go. The problem is that people who have no idea about how to control a puppy are very unlikely to use a choke chain correctly

Maybe one of those head collars (Halti?) would work for them.
yes, maybe one of those would! Thanks!

Old 12-23-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Another tip: let the pup burn off some energy with play (get some puppy zoomies going) before you start leashed walks. She'll be a bit more likely to listen to what you're hoping to teach.
They live in a rural area with a long, quiet driveway. She is off-leash quite often, so she gets out the zoomies.

Old 12-23-2022, 03:06 PM

3,085 posts, read 8,441,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I owned Labs years ago and used a choke chain. (my obedience trainer used them also back then)
Are choke chains frowned upon now?

My son/dau-in-law have a 5 mth old Lab puppy and she is wild on the leash. She jumps up on them and tears at their clothing when they walk her.

I'd like to help them out, but what do you recommend?

I'm going to suggest going to obedience classes, but can't force the issue as it is their dog/their decision.

I've always owned very large dogs and have two Labs now that were very hyper when young. What I have always found that works best is a simple, padded harness that spans around the belly and around the neck with a grab loop on the top and of course leash attachment point. The leash and grab handle allows you to control and redirect the dog without injuries when they get out of hand.

As for training the best and most effective is simple love, attention, recurring corrections (non violent or physical other than redirection as stated above), and simple rewards when they get it right. You want the dog bonding and responding to you rather than another or group of others. Obedience training for pay is rarely needed and IMO mostly a waste of money.

Every dog responds differently to training and you just have to find what works. My current boys seemed to have a rebellion problem with normal basic commands. They knew them but chose to ignore them. One day I lost it and started barking out military marching and other commands and no kidding they seriously snapped to! They love it and we even have cadence songs on walks. They know a broad range of commands. These two needed a more authoritarian style than I ever had to use. When they got out of hand as you described they had already learned "At Ease" and they stop and sit immediately. We have a little discussion of what they did wrong and a threat they're going on a leash if they keep it up (I walk them without leashes). They don't like leashes and almost every time cease and desist the bad behavior.

There are three very important things to do when training any dog.
  • Bond with them. I play a lot with my dogs. They have games they like to play and games I like to play with them that they like. I walk them every day I can and get them involved in the walk more than just walking near me.
  • Make them feel like an important part of the family and your life. In my house the dogs are always taken care of first and they realize this. Then when we take care of ourselves they are invited to be with us in whatever that is (except the kink OK in case some wonder). When they're ill or not feeling good they are taken care of and pampered and they realize this. If they want attention we always find the time to give it.
  • NEVER EVER strike a dog for any reason and in any way in anger or disgust as a dog will never forget it! The concept of even smacking them on the nose lightly that some trainers use is crap! That doesn't mean you can't pat them extra hard on the rear with love as they know the difference. My dogs always know I am not happy with what they do wrong just but the tome of my voice. I don't need to strike them and they fully understand.
Dogs are very, very smart and can tell when they are only play toys when desired by the people that have them and when they are actually part of the family and loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs