Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 03:08 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
They live in a rural area with a long, quiet driveway. She is off-leash quite often, so she gets out the zoomies.

I am in the same situation in the country. Sounds like they have a great opportunity to teach them while off the leash with long walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 03:52 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Adding that no type of collar is going to stop the puppy from jumping on them and tearing at their clothing. That's a different problem.
That's right. Some dogs just love to jump and others don't at all. it's important to try and train them out of it as early as possible. I was and am very firm with my Lab and only in the past couple of years does she refrain from jumping on people. I think whatever her situation was in her puppyhood she was allowed to run wild, and was indeed found on the street in the middle of a 4-way stop. She once jumped over an 8 food concrete block wall in the heart of the Phoenix summer (August). I was in the hospital. It happened at the dog sitter's house. I'm convinced that the way she became a stray was by jumping a backyard wall.

Every dog owner has to find what works for them. I knew a snowbird whose dog would have been torn apart by coyotes if it were not for his shock collar. Others would never dream of putting a shock collar on their dog.

Old 12-23-2022, 04:54 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I've always owned very large dogs and have two Labs now that were very hyper when young. What I have always found that works best is a simple, padded harness that spans around the belly and around the neck with a grab loop on the top and of course leash attachment point. The leash and grab handle allows you to control and redirect the dog without injuries when they get out of hand.

As for training the best and most effective is simple love, attention, recurring corrections (non violent or physical other than redirection as stated above), and simple rewards when they get it right. You want the dog bonding and responding to you rather than another or group of others. Obedience training for pay is rarely needed and IMO mostly a waste of money.

Every dog responds differently to training and you just have to find what works. My current boys seemed to have a rebellion problem with normal basic commands. They knew them but chose to ignore them. One day I lost it and started barking out military marching and other commands and no kidding they seriously snapped to! They love it and we even have cadence songs on walks. They know a broad range of commands. These two needed a more authoritarian style than I ever had to use. When they got out of hand as you described they had already learned "At Ease" and they stop and sit immediately. We have a little discussion of what they did wrong and a threat they're going on a leash if they keep it up (I walk them without leashes). They don't like leashes and almost every time cease and desist the bad behavior.

There are three very important things to do when training any dog.
  • Bond with them. I play a lot with my dogs. They have games they like to play and games I like to play with them that they like. I walk them every day I can and get them involved in the walk more than just walking near me.
  • Make them feel like an important part of the family and your life. In my house the dogs are always taken care of first and they realize this. Then when we take care of ourselves they are invited to be with us in whatever that is (except the kink OK in case some wonder). When they're ill or not feeling good they are taken care of and pampered and they realize this. If they want attention we always find the time to give it.
  • NEVER EVER strike a dog for any reason and in any way in anger or disgust as a dog will never forget it! The concept of even smacking them on the nose lightly that some trainers use is crap! That doesn't mean you can't pat them extra hard on the rear with love as they know the difference. My dogs always know I am not happy with what they do wrong just but the tome of my voice. I don't need to strike them and they fully understand.
Dogs are very, very smart and can tell when they are only play toys when desired by the people that have them and when they are actually part of the family and loved.
Define obedience training for pay please.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:04 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Adding that no type of collar is going to stop the puppy from jumping on them and tearing at their clothing. That's a different problem.
I've used a remote controlled collar that has three settings (HUM, VIBRATE and SHOCK). I do not use the SHOCK feature but have been able to train her off leash to COME. Also I use it in the house to stop unwanted behavior. I use the VIBRATE for training. Paid about $35 on Amazon.
https://patpet.us/collections/dog-training-collar

Old 12-23-2022, 05:06 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Thank you all. I've just bought a harness and plan on working with her once this horrible weather clears up.

I will continue to encourage them to enroll in obedience training. I know it sure helped me with my labs, plus, living in a rural area, the dog will have some socialization with other dogs.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:50 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,886,460 times
Puppies pull and there is a feedback loop from trying to hold a dog that is trying to pull; ie the more you pull the harder the dog will pull. My dogs go on slip leads pretty early on because learning loose leash walking is so good for a dog and its relationship with his owner. They both walk on flat collars now with zero pulling. The biggest issue most people have with rampant pullers is not the dog is pulling but that the dog is completely unengaged with whoever is at the other end of the leash. If you fix that 95% of leash problems melt away, ime.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:52 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,266 times
Quote:
Thank you all. I've just bought a harness and plan on working with her once this horrible weather clears up.

I will continue to encourage them to enroll in obedience training. I know it sure helped me with my labs, plus, living in a rural area, the dog will have some socialization with other dogs.
Going to obedience training helped me at least as much as it helped my dog. I did it with one dog and then had skills to use with later dogs.

A funny thing - when my dog goes to jump up on me I make it into a dance/game. I sing something rhythmic and he dances backwards on his back legs as I advance. We were going to do canine freestyle but he became epileptic so we do this instead. He's the first Aussie I've had who moves backwards on his back legs like that.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:22 PM

7 posts, read 1,843 times
There are all sorts of things that can excite a lab puppy. If you find that your puppy is starting to get too worked up in a specific scenario, stop whatever it is you’re doing before the puppy gets overexcited.. To reach a calmer state, the puppy will need to be placed in a quiet area where it can relax for a few minutes. This could be a crate, a dimly-lit room, or even your backyard. Once your lab puppy has calmed down, take note of what caused it to get so excited. Then, steer clear of that activity for the time being. The dog might be able to handle the activity again in the future without getting too excited, but for now, it’s probably not prepared to handle it without working itself into a tizzy.

Old 01-07-2023, 12:17 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
I owned Labs years ago and used a choke chain. (my obedience trainer used them also back then)
Are choke chains frowned upon now?

My son/dau-in-law have a 5 mth old Lab puppy and she is wild on the leash. She jumps up on them and tears at their clothing when they walk her.

I'd like to help them out, but what do you recommend?

I'm going to suggest going to obedience classes, but can't force the issue as it is their dog/their decision.
If it's their dog, then let them deal with the puppy. Altho, NOW is the golden opportunity to train her. If your kids don't mind the dog being outta control, then just don't bother with the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs